Windows 10: Virtual Disk Drive VHD must be re-attached after computer restart - Windows 10

Discus and support Virtual Disk Drive VHD must be re-attached after computer restart - Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have setup with two VHD's D+E plus "F" external disk. When I restart computer E + F drives are already attached. "D" VHD is lost and must be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nebous, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Nebous Win User

Virtual Disk Drive VHD must be re-attached after computer restart - Windows 10

I have setup with two VHD's D+E plus "F" external disk. When I restart computer E + F drives are already attached. "D" VHD is lost and must be attached via Disk Management. I want to all three disks to be automatically attached when computer start.

Thanks

:)

Nebous, Apr 12, 2021

2. Attaching a VHD

I am running Windows 10, the latest build and created a Windows Image Backup image with Backup and Restore (Windows 7) from the control panel.

To see if it works, I opened Disk Management and clicked on Action - Attach VHD and clicked on the VHD file, which is located on an external USB drive, but after that, no VHD was created, tried doing a Refresh and Rescan Disks and still no VHD drive.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Jack Smook, Apr 12, 2021
  3. Drone Win User
    VHD to virtual PC

What does it mean? *Confused Virtual Disk Drive VHD must be re-attached after computer restart - Windows 10 :confused: VHD is a hard drive of a virtual machine which (by default) can be opened by Microsoft Virtual PC

Drone, Apr 12, 2021
  4. Arun B J Win User

How do I launch my virtual drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows + X, and select Disk Management
    • From the Action drop down menu, select Create VHD
    • In the Create and Attach Virtual Hard Disk dialogue box you should select where you want the .vhd file to be saved.
    • Choose which format you prefer and how large you want the virtual drive to be
    • A fixed size VHD stays at the same size and behaves just like a physical drive, while a dynamic expanding VHD grows and shrinks as files are added to, or deleted from it
    • The new disk will now be displayed in the Disk Management window but cannot be used until it has been initialized. Right-click on the disk title and select “Initialize Disk”.
    • Choosing the MRB (Master Boot Record) style is the safest thing to do here
    • Once initialized, the disk needs to be set up as a simple volume and assigned a drive letter. Right-click on the drive itself in the Disk Management window and select New Simple
      Volume
    • When the Wizard opens, click "next" to enter the Specify Volume Size dialogue. By default, the volume size is set as the size of the entire virtual disk, but you can choose
      any smaller size you wish.
    • Next assign it a drive letter and then format it
    • Navigate to where you saved the VHD file during Step 4 in File Explorer, and double click to mount it. The virtual disk will now show up in File Explorer (and elsewhere) as
      a regular hard disk, and can be used just like one

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Virtual Disk Drive VHD must be re-attached after computer restart - Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Virtual Disk Drive

2. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??: I don't understand, I thought download a file into a VHD means the file takes space from VHD, but, when I download a file it takes space both 2 hard disk with a same file size it takesExample: Download 1GB file = C: disk minus 1GB and the VHD minus 1GB.Now my question is: How...
  3. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??: I don't understand, I thought download a file into a VHD means the file takes space from VHD, but, when I download a file it takes space both 2 hard disk with a same file size it takesExample: Download 1GB file = C: disk minus 1GB and the VHD minus 1GB.Now my question is: How...
  4. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 - disk management - attach VHD doesn't assign drive letter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - disk management - attach VHD doesn't assign drive letter: After doing a system image backup to another drive, I tried using disk manager to attach the .vhdx image file with read only checked, and it appears to attach the image, but no drive letter is assigned. What am I missing here?...
  6. Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD: I have a TB to choose from and I Made it 1,000,000,000,000,000TB to see if it was a 1,000YB which I went online to see how much it was and it said 1000 that is 1,000 YB but on my computer, after it was formatting it said 1024.98 GB and then I thought to my self boy that...
  7. VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason

VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason: Hey community, i've recently recovered Virtual hard disk that I forgot I had. Given the fact I am dangerously low on storage, I am now planning on using this for games and other personal files. I am now currently running the installer for a game and the VHD keeps closing...
  8. Virtual Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Virtual Disk Drive: I recently downloaded VMware Workstation Pro to my PC, so i can test a file that i didn't want to run on my personal PC. After i finished my job, I uninstalled VMware and i noticed that the virtual drives still exist (see screenshot). Is it safe to uninstall them from the...
  9. VHD (Virtual Hard Drives) are suddenly ejecting from Windows 10

VHD (Virtual Hard Drives) are suddenly ejecting from Windows 10: Hello guys! I am using a Surface Go (With 120 GB of storage) running Windows 10 Home x64 1803, and I have a storage problem. I am running out of space on my C: Drive. I have no USB support (Attaching an OTG (On-the-go) Cable will break it), I have a micro SD card but is for...
  10. Attaching a VHD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Attaching a VHD: I am running Windows 10, the latest build and created a Windows Image Backup image with Backup and Restore (Windows 7) from the control panel. To see if it works, I opened Disk Management and clicked on Action - Attach VHD and clicked on the VHD file, which is located on an...