Windows 10: Virtual Disk Drive

Discus and support Virtual Disk Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently downloaded VMware Workstation Pro to my PC, so i can test a file that i didn't want to run on my personal PC. After i finished my job, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Apostolos Tolios, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Virtual Disk Drive

I recently downloaded VMware Workstation Pro to my PC, so i can test a file that i didn't want to run on my personal PC. After i finished my job, I uninstalled VMware and i noticed that the virtual drives still exist (see screenshot). Is it safe to uninstall them from the "device manager" or it will cause my pc to crash? How can i remove them safely?

Thanks.

Virtual Disk Drive 3e10f88b-b74e-4675-a939-eeb7e04e520f?upload=true.jpg

Virtual Disk Drive 4eb70cc3-edd1-4116-a219-8c77c01462fa?upload=true.jpg

:)

Apostolos Tolios, Nov 1, 2019

2. Virtual disk service wont start

Hi,

Thank you for showing interest on Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to assist you.

I suggest you to start the Virtual Disk Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • In the Services Window, look for Virtual Disk service and
      Stop
      it.
    • Restart the computer and Start the Virtual Disk
      service and set it to Automatic.
    • Restart the computer and it check if it works.
    Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Nov 1, 2019
  3. Aaron_Sum Win User
    Can't remove Hyper-V Virtual Hard Drive partition

Hi Robert,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing an issue when you are trying to remove the Hyper-V Virtual Hard Drive partition. This partition is just a virtual partition that is created by using the space within your physical hard disk, so that
    it can be used within Hyper-V. Since you are no longer using Hyper-V and you wish to remove the Virtual Hard Drive partition, I would suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it is helpful to you.

Steps to remove the Virtual Hard Drive partition using Disk Management:

1. Press the Windows key and
      R key, this will open the Run dialogue box for you.
    2. Type diskmgmt.msc and press
      Enter, this will open the Disk Management Window for you.
    3. Your Virtual Hard Drive will be indicated by a ‘blue’ drive beside the
      Disk n (n is the disk number to which the VHD is associated), select the allocated
      Volume, right-click and select Delete Volume. You can check the picture below for your reference.

Virtual Disk Drive a9bbe536-f604-4912-9a6e-fdb56b275e03?upload=true.png

4. You will receive a prompt, click on
      Yes. This will delete the volume allocated to the Virtual Hard Drive and the space allocated will now be turned into an
      Unallocated space.
    5. To detach the Virtual Hard Drive completely,
      right-click on the Disk and select Detach VHD.
    6. You will receive a prompt, you may click on the check box to
      Delete the virtual hard disk after removing the disk. Click on
      OK

This will remove the Hyper-V Virtual Hard Drive partition from your system.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to post your query in IT Pro

TechNet
    forums, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on the issues with Hyper-V and Virtual Hard Drive to assist you with your query.

Regards,

Aaron Summith

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Aaron_Sum, Nov 1, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Virtual Disk Drive

How do I launch my virtual drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows + X, and select Disk Management
    • From the Action drop down menu, select Create VHD
    • In the Create and Attach Virtual Hard Disk dialogue box you should select where you want the .vhd file to be saved.
    • Choose which format you prefer and how large you want the virtual drive to be
    • A fixed size VHD stays at the same size and behaves just like a physical drive, while a dynamic expanding VHD grows and shrinks as files are added to, or deleted from it
    • The new disk will now be displayed in the Disk Management window but cannot be used until it has been initialized. Right-click on the disk title and select “Initialize Disk”.
    • Choosing the MRB (Master Boot Record) style is the safest thing to do here
    • Once initialized, the disk needs to be set up as a simple volume and assigned a drive letter. Right-click on the drive itself in the Disk Management window and select New Simple
      Volume
    • When the Wizard opens, click "next" to enter the Specify Volume Size dialogue. By default, the volume size is set as the size of the entire virtual disk, but you can choose
      any smaller size you wish.
    • Next assign it a drive letter and then format it
    • Navigate to where you saved the VHD file during Step 4 in File Explorer, and double click to mount it. The virtual disk will now show up in File Explorer (and elsewhere) as
      a regular hard disk, and can be used just like one

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Nov 1, 2019
Thema:

Virtual Disk Drive

1. Virtual Disk Drive - Similar Threads - Virtual Disk Drive

2. Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtual Disk: What is Virtual Disk ? how does it relate to a VM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-disk/6cadb439-5fb2-4b95-bbdf-3de2d6e75c0a
  3. Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Disk: What is Virtual Disk ? how does it relate to a VM https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-disk/6cadb439-5fb2-4b95-bbdf-3de2d6e75c0a
  4. Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Microsoft Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Virtual Disk: I found a "Microsoft Virtual Disk" connected in Disk Drives in Device Manager. I did not set this up and am wondering how it attached. I also recieved notification about disk space but thought nothing of it until I saw the connected virtual drive. Can someone please explain...
  6. Virtual Disk Drive Not Ready

Virtual Disk Drive Not Ready: Hello, I recently bought a 870 EVO 500gb SSD and a sata adapter cable. However, when i plugged the ssd into my laptop externally, i keep getting an error message that my device is not ready in disk management. How do i fix that? I read online and tried all the methods,...
  7. Mystery Virtual Disk

Mystery Virtual Disk: I've got a mystery virtual disk and I have no idea what it is, where it is or where it came from. I can see it in Device Manager, I can see it in Intel SSD toolbox, but there's nothing in Disk Management. I've unhidden empty drives and files too. [img] [img] [img] 159690
  8. Virtual Disk

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Disk: Good day. I have created a 10GB virtual disk in disk management and would like to reassign it back to my hard disk. Thank you for your help and reply. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-disk/1d29f5f3-4f7f-4133-8356-6f254ff1c690
  9. Virtual disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtual disk: Hello there, Recently I came to know that we can increase the hard disk storage up to 64 TB no matter how much is our real disk space. I followed the procedure and got 2 TB. I didn`t get how that is possible? Does it really mean that now my hard disk storage is 2.5 TB?...
  10. Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting…….

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting…….: …even after doing “Attach VHD” in Disk Management (before rebooting). After rebooting, each time I have to repeat to process of “Attach VHD” to see the drive in Explorer. And also, when I see it, I can see it only under “This PC” in the Explorer and not in the folder I placed...