Windows 10: Virtual Disk

Discus and support Virtual Disk in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Good day. I have created a 10GB virtual disk in disk management and would like to reassign it back to my hard disk. Thank you for your help and reply.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MichalKubičko, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Virtual Disk

Good day. I have created a 10GB virtual disk in disk management and would like to reassign it back to my hard disk. Thank you for your help and reply.

:)

MichalKubičko, Mar 19, 2020

2. Virtual disk service wont start

Hi,

Thank you for showing interest on Windows 10.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue and we are happy to assist you.

I suggest you to start the Virtual Disk Service and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.
    • Type services.msc and hit Enter.
    • In the Services Window, look for Virtual Disk service and
      Stop
      it.
    • Restart the computer and Start the Virtual Disk
      service and set it to Automatic.
    • Restart the computer and it check if it works.
    Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Mar 19, 2020
  3. alphabare Win User
    Virtual disk service wont start

Worked the first time i tried it then after closing the application and trying to start again the disk service would not start anymore.

alphabare, Mar 19, 2020
  4. Kari Win User

Virtual Disk

Compacting virtual hard disks

We must have totally different working methods Virtual Disk :)

Let's see what I told to be my workflow, and check how that works in reality. Example W10 x64 VM is one I have used for ESDtoISO and UUPtoISO testing, a clean installed build 15048 with no additional software installed, upgraded several times to builds 15055, 15058, 15060 and 15061, always restored back to clean 15048. This has of course caused the VHD size to grow to multiple times what really is needed.

After the above, checking file sizes. Macrium image was made when the original 64 GB dynamically expanding VHD was 34.5 GB:

Virtual Disk [​IMG]

Macrium image size just under 5 GB:

Virtual Disk [​IMG]

After restoring Macrium image to a new dynamically expanding VHD, file size is 9.3 GB. Over two thirds smaller than original one:

Virtual Disk [​IMG]

The same as seen by File Explorer, yellow highlight is the original VHD, start situation, and green highlight the new VHD where Macrium image from old VHD was restored. Old VHD can now be deleted, net storage save savings over 25 GB in this example case:

Virtual Disk [​IMG]

(Notice that VHD has already grown over 0.5 GB since the previous screenshot a few minutes earlier. This is because in previous screenshot VM was not started yet after restoring the image.)
    This of course is all logical, happens every time.

Thema:

Virtual Disk

1. Virtual Disk - Similar Threads - Virtual Disk

2. I’m trying to install Vista on a Virtual Disk but I can’t select the disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I’m trying to install Vista on a Virtual Disk but I can’t select the disk: There’s basically no reaction to my command. I figured the problem might be that the cmd version is too old 6.0.6002. That’s how far I’ve got.Help would be appriciated :...
  3. I’m trying to install Vista on a Virtual Disk but I can’t select the disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I’m trying to install Vista on a Virtual Disk but I can’t select the disk: There’s basically no reaction to my command. I figured the problem might be that the cmd version is too old 6.0.6002. That’s how far I’ve got.Help would be appriciated :...
  4. do virtual disk drives take up my real computer space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    do virtual disk drives take up my real computer space?: i made a vhd in windows 11, and i was wondering this. if i made my vhd 1 tb, then would it take up actual space or is the tb from the server?...
  5. do virtual disk drives take up my real computer space?

do virtual disk drives take up my real computer space?: i made a vhd in windows 11, and i was wondering this. if i made my vhd 1 tb, then would it take up actual space or is the tb from the server?...
  6. MSFT_VirtualDisk class enumeration will not yield attached virtual disks

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MSFT_VirtualDisk class enumeration will not yield attached virtual disks: I have a virtual disk VHD and attached via disk mgmt tool. Now using WMI and windows storage management API, I used MSFT_Disk class and executed the query "select * from MSFT_Disk" and both of the disks were listed. I thought that MSFT_VirtualDisk should result in only...
  7. MSFT_VirtualDisk class enumeration will not yield attached virtual disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSFT_VirtualDisk class enumeration will not yield attached virtual disks: I have a virtual disk VHD and attached via disk mgmt tool. Now using WMI and windows storage management API, I used MSFT_Disk class and executed the query "select * from MSFT_Disk" and both of the disks were listed. I thought that MSFT_VirtualDisk should result in only...
  8. MSFT_VirtualDisk class enumeration will not yield attached virtual disks

9. Virtual disk with bitlocker since lately always missing at wake up Win 10 22H2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Virtual disk with bitlocker since lately always missing at wake up Win 10 22H2: My machine Win 10 22H2 has an extra drive, which is a hard disk image file .vhdx protected with bitlocker.This worked fine for months, but lately after some update? the drive is always missing after wakeup. I can manually mount it again w/o problems but it is a waste of time...
  10. Virtual disk with bitlocker since lately always missing at wake up Win 10 22H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual disk with bitlocker since lately always missing at wake up Win 10 22H2: My machine Win 10 22H2 has an extra drive, which is a hard disk image file .vhdx protected with bitlocker.This worked fine for months, but lately after some update? the drive is always missing after wakeup. I can manually mount it again w/o problems but it is a waste of time...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. virtual-disk problem solve