Windows 10: Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting…….

Discus and support Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting……. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; …even after doing “Attach VHD” in Disk Management (before rebooting). After rebooting, each time I have to repeat to process of “Attach VHD” to see the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by newu873, Jan 21, 2019.

1. newu873 Win User

Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting…….

…even after doing “Attach VHD” in Disk Management (before rebooting). After rebooting, each time I have to repeat to process of “Attach VHD” to see the drive in Explorer. And also, when I see it, I can see it only under “This PC” in the Explorer and not in the folder I placed it. Any ideas why all this happens ??

I have Windows 10 Pro 1709 on a new desktop.

:)

newu873, Jan 21, 2019
  2. knute97 Win User

Power Outage or Reboot Resets Drive Letters

Thank you for the reply, but I would like some clarification on the suggested solution(s).

In running diskpart, I typed "LIST VOLUME" as suggested by Rover85. I noted that my D: drive is listed as volume 8 and my E: drive is volume 9.

Do I then continue in diskpart with Gavin Adams answer of 1/27/2013 with the following script?

LIST VOLUME

SELECT VOLUME 8 (and/or 9)

ATTRIBUTES VOLUME CLEAR HIDDEN

EXIT

And this will assign the appropriate drive letter on reboot?

The one thing that bothers me is that my first try after reboot with Computer Management/Disk Management would not connect to the "Virtual Disk Service" until I did a second reboot.

knute97, Jan 21, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Compacting virtual hard disks

We must have totally different working methods Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting……. :)

Let's see what I told to be my workflow, and check how that works in reality. Example W10 x64 VM is one I have used for ESDtoISO and UUPtoISO testing, a clean installed build 15048 with no additional software installed, upgraded several times to builds 15055, 15058, 15060 and 15061, always restored back to clean 15048. This has of course caused the VHD size to grow to multiple times what really is needed.

After the above, checking file sizes. Macrium image was made when the original 64 GB dynamically expanding VHD was 34.5 GB:

Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting……. [​IMG]

Macrium image size just under 5 GB:

After restoring Macrium image to a new dynamically expanding VHD, file size is 9.3 GB. Over two thirds smaller than original one:

The same as seen by File Explorer, yellow highlight is the original VHD, start situation, and green highlight the new VHD where Macrium image from old VHD was restored. Old VHD can now be deleted, net storage save savings over 25 GB in this example case:

(Notice that VHD has already grown over 0.5 GB since the previous screenshot a few minutes earlier. This is because in previous screenshot VM was not started yet after restoring the image.)
    This of course is all logical, happens every time.

4. Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting…….

How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Jan 21, 2019
Thema:

Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting…….

1. Virtual drive on Hard Disk disappears after rebooting……. - Similar Threads - Virtual drive Hard

2. Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot: - If one of your drives, other than the drive where Windows is installed, does not appear when you switch on or restart the computer;1- Switch off the computer completely, disconnect the power and wait for 10 seconds.2- Restart the computer again and check if your drivers...
  3. Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot: - If one of your drives, other than the drive where Windows is installed, does not appear when you switch on or restart the computer;1- Switch off the computer completely, disconnect the power and wait for 10 seconds.2- Restart the computer again and check if your drivers...
  4. Drives Disappear After Restart or Reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. 20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted: I recently accidentally deleted a 20GB virtual hard disk I created, and now I find that the 20 GB storage space has not been returned to my storage. It's simply missing from my drive and I can't utilize it. I have checked Disk Management and Wiztree, and both cannot find a...
  6. 20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    20GB Missing from drive after Virtual Hard Disk Deleted: I recently accidentally deleted a 20GB virtual hard disk I created, and now I find that the 20 GB storage space has not been returned to my storage. It's simply missing from my drive and I can't utilize it. I have checked Disk Management and Wiztree, and both cannot find a...
  7. Hard disk drives disappearing

Hard disk drives disappearing: I have two hard disk's on my laptop one of them keeps disappearing and coming back randomly. My D, E and F drive keeps disappearing and comes back after many restarts. The Disk Management solution doesn't help as the drives doesn't show up there. Please help!!!...
  8. Virtual Hard Drives

Virtual Hard Drives: Does creating a virtual hard drive through Computer Management actually give extra storage space? I'm pretty sure its just like creating a partition for the hard drive, and just takes up space on the physical hdd. Just need some clarification because my friend thinks it works...
  9. hard disk disappearing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard disk disappearing: Hi there,, I have two internal hard disks and in one of them I installed windows 10.. in the other I have my other data it is 1 TB seagate hard drive. This seagate hard drive is disappearing even when I download a file.. the error "drive is not found" is coming. so I always...
  10. Compacting virtual hard disks

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Compacting virtual hard disks: Compressing a vhdx file in Hyper-V Well I have had fun today trying to compress some vhdx files used in Hyper-V. My VHDXs only had around 15GB of files (10 pro Insider 15061) including hidden files after disk cleanup when in Hyper-V but the vhdx files were around 40 GB/...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. VHD drive has vanished

2. virtual hard drive disappears after restart

3. virtial drive disappears after reboot

4. Windows 2016 attach vhd does show up after reboot