Windows 10: Virtual Machine Activity - Windows 10 Pro Updates

Discus and support Virtual Machine Activity - Windows 10 Pro Updates in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So... within the past week, I've initiated restarts to complete the installation of numerous updates. From what I've experienced from past updates,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Trexx, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Trexx Win User

Virtual Machine Activity - Windows 10 Pro Updates

So... within the past week, I've initiated restarts to complete the installation of numerous updates. From what I've experienced from past updates, I've come to conclude that its not unusual to discover a system service or other system component running in the background which was previously never there. With the latest updates that have been pushed out, however, I have to wonder ... what could be the purpose of Hyper-V and other virtual machine tasks now running upon startup?

I apologize since this thread is simply an initial, preliminary post which I've submitted before I look into the matter more deeply. I intend to provide as much information as I can possibly gather, though in the unlikely event that someone here may be knowledgeable about this without any extensive info provided, I went ahead and created a thread.

Pertaining to details I do have, none of the Hyper-V features are installed on my system which I double-checked to confirm. The particular service that I noticed running upon updating and rebooting the system was vmcompute also known as Hyper-V Host Compute Service. In the task manager, vmmem was also running, not to mention using a fair amount of resources, particularly RAM.

I ultimately ended up having to open the Services snap-in to check the dependencies for the services before I was able to stop them. Although not directly related, the same had to be done for the Internet Connection Sharing service. As I stated previously, I apologize for not providing more information, such as the specific updates that have been installed over the course of this week, but once I've researched this a little further, I will post back with these additional details.

Thank you to those interested enough to offer any guidance or explanation regarding this... which technically can't be considered an issue per se... Virtual Machine Activity - Windows 10 Pro Updates :)

:)

Trexx, Jul 4, 2019

2. Windows 10 Pro in a virtual machine now asking for activation after several months of legitimate use

Hello Mike,

Since your issue involves reactivating virtual machines on a Windows 10 Pro device, we recommend posting on this
    page to get advanced suggestions from our IT Pro
    users in TechNet. You will find more people with expertise over the matter you are working on in order to get the appropriate steps required to address this concern.

Feel free to write again should you have additional questions.

Regards.

Dhavelyn Mer, Jul 4, 2019
  3. Robert_os Win User
    Move windows 10 pro license from virtual machine to physical machine.

I need to move a windows 10 pro license from a virtual machine to a physical machine. The license has been bought as windows 10 pro not upgrade etc. The thing is that the computer (Mac book pro) where the virtual machine used to live is now dead beyond
    repair and to expensive to use. So I want to install windows 10 on a dell laptop now but I cant deactivate the old license on the virtual machine. Any suggestions?

Robert_os, Jul 4, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

Kari, Jul 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Virtual Machine Activity - Windows 10 Pro Updates - Similar Threads - Virtual Machine Activity

2. Virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual machine: I have an Asus z390 board with an SSD and use Windows 10 Pro. I only have 8 GB of RAM and if that is insufficient please tell me up front. I am an average user and have a images of my OS with Macrium. I have watched VM's on YouTube and Oracle Virtual Box seems to be the...
  3. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual Machine: I recently installed Hyper-V on my Lenovo Windows 10 machine and am trying to set up a Virtual Machine. I saw Andre Da Costa's post on Groovypost.com in regards to this. His post was dated January 11, 2019. I have not been able to access the BIOS setup screen, as pictured...
  4. Virtual Machine Platform in Windows 10 update 1809

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Machine Platform in Windows 10 update 1809: Microsoft has introduced a new feature named "Virtual Machine Platform" in its new update 1809. There are not any supports and documents which elaborate this feature. What are the uses of this feature? What benefits does it has as compared to other Virtual machines installed...
  5. virtual machine

virtual machine: I want to build an oracle VM. I have a new PC with UEFI I am not used to. It is set to the old BIOS and secure boot is disabled. I found virtualization by searching and chose to change virtualization from disabled toe enabled. Is this what I should have done to use Oracle's...
  6. Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How do I set up a Virtual Machine in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-virtual-machine-in-windows-10/c3a94127-bdd5-46cd-b220-3e754f0e4bc9
  7. Activate Windows 10 After Reinstalling to a Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activate Windows 10 After Reinstalling to a Virtual Machine: Hello, how can I reactivate a Windows 10 on a new VM using a product key from a now defunct VM? I recall I requested from microsoft before via chat support and was able to successfully activate the VM back then. Thanks!...
  8. Windows 10 in Azure Virtual Machine Activation Problem 0xC004F012

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 in Azure Virtual Machine Activation Problem 0xC004F012: I started a Virtual Machine with Windows 10 on Azure. But I can't personalize the Windows as I get the info: Troubleshoot doesn't fix the issue. Best regards, arcin...
  9. Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine

Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine: I have used VMware in the past with limited success though I suspect the hardware limitations had something to do with it. The leaning curve was modest if not at times tedious to confusing at times and I am not particularly looking forward to that again. What can you all tell...
  10. Test Windows 10 on a Virtual Machine

Test Windows 10 on a Virtual Machine: Test Windows 10 on a Virtual Machine Upgrading to a new operating system can be an intimidating undertaking that massively disrupts your daily workflow. And considering the dramatic interface changes introduced in Windows 10, you may not want to invest in Microsoft's latest...