Windows 10: Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

Discus and support Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Environment: WIN10 v1607 ENT N 2016 2016 / Virtual Machine - (Physical desktops with updates operate correctly) Since installing latest updates, all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Clark_OT, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Clark_OT Win User

Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

Environment: WIN10 v1607 ENT N 2016 2016 / Virtual Machine - (Physical desktops with updates operate correctly)

Since installing latest updates, all VM's will not read the certificates. However both objects "SCR35xx Smart Card Reader" and "Smart Card" -ARE- shown in device manager. Certutil commands return "No smart card readers are currently available". Again, the Card Reader, Smart Card, and credentials can be read from a physical machine.

Attempted solutions - 1) reinstalled the drivers, 2) Restarted the Certificate Propagation service 3) uninstall updates (however not successful as once finished, the updates re-install automatically)

Any help would be appreciated,

Clark

***Modified Title from: Microsoft June 2019 updates broke reading smartcard credentials***

:)

Clark_OT, Jun 19, 2019
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Smart Card Reader / Gettign a Card

Hi,

Smart card reader can be used for identification, authentication, and data storage. We suggest contacting the device manufacturer for further assistance on how to use the smart card reader.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Anne Ros, Jun 19, 2019
  3. WIndows 10 Compatible Smart Card Reader

I've been using an SCR3500 USB smart card reader for military websites for years with Windows 7. I've since found that this particular reader has been deprecated and will not work with my new Windows 10 machine.

Is there anyone out there using a smart card reader with Windows 10? If so, what make and model reader are you using? And yes, I've been to militarycac.com before someone suggests it. The site is offers a lot of suggestions but none of which are fixing
    my problem. Any assistance would greatly appreciated.

anthonycrivera, Jun 19, 2019
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

Pass-through authentication with smart cards work on domain environments. You may want to go through
    Use Virtual Smart Cards to know
    more about the same. As this requires expertise in an environment which has a direct two-way trust relationship, I suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet forums.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update. - Similar Threads - Virtual Machine reading

2. Smart card subsystem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Smart card subsystem: I'm running Windows 10 and use a smart card reader to update a security card frequently. Lately when I plug the reader in I get an error message saying "Unable to connect to smartcard subsystem" . The tech support for the card service says this occurred during a Windows...
  3. Windows update - smart card reader problems

Windows update - smart card reader problems: Hi! After last windows 10 update my laptop do not read usb smart cards no smart cards reader. Windows 10 home 1909 10.12.2019. 18363.535 Please help me. Kind regards! Marko Marković...
  4. smart card reader is not working on lenovo t440

smart card reader is not working on lenovo t440: I use a gemalto smart card usb token, wich was used for secure signing of official documents on my laptop until the last major win10 update in august. (1903) After that the gemalto card stopped working... The problem is, that a win10 service for smartcard-s starts and...
  5. About the security of Virtual Smart Cards

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    About the security of Virtual Smart Cards: Hello all, Trying to have a good overview about the security of Virtual Smart Cards relying on TPMs, I read this very short article (the only I found) covering this topic (first part):...
  6. TPM Virtual Smart Card creation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    TPM Virtual Smart Card creation: Hello, I'm having an issue regarding TPM Virtual Smart Card creation. I'm using a method from Windows.Devices.SmartCards.dll, SmartCardProvisioning class, RequestVirtualSmartCardCreationAsync(String, IBuffer, SmartCardPinPolicy), and I'm continuously getting an error...
  7. Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards: We want to store digital certificates for PDF signing in virtual smart cards. Due to regulatory reasons (FDA, we are developing medical devices), I have to assure that the PIN protecting the certificate has to be (re-)entered for each document to be signed. The default...
  8. Connect a Smart Card

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Connect a Smart Card: I can't make any changes on my ASUS Laptop, every time I tried "connect a smart card" appear. This is a personal computer and I didn't use any smart card. Please help to sort this out. Thanks in advance. 30636
  9. Smart Card Reader driver problem

Smart Card Reader driver problem: Hello! So, I ended up here because I didn't know what else to do. I have a problem with my Smart Card Reader(ID-Card). Windows doesn't let me install drivers for it manually, neither did it install them automatically. It all happened after updating Windows to the Anniversary...
  10. Excel asking for a Smart Card but no reader ever installed

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel asking for a Smart Card but no reader ever installed: When Excel is asked to: Open a spreadsheet containing unsigned macros, AND Excel's macro security is set to "Disable all macros except digitally signed macros" I get a "Connect a smart card" message. The message says it is from "Windows Security" (See attachment.) I...