Windows 10: Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

Discus and support Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Environment: WIN10 v1607 ENT N 2016 2016 / Virtual Machine - (Physical desktops with updates operate correctly) Since installing latest updates, all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Clark_OT, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Clark_OT Win User

Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

Environment: WIN10 v1607 ENT N 2016 2016 / Virtual Machine - (Physical desktops with updates operate correctly)

Since installing latest updates, all VM's will not read the certificates. However both objects "SCR35xx Smart Card Reader" and "Smart Card" -ARE- shown in device manager. Certutil commands return "No smart card readers are currently available". Again, the Card Reader, Smart Card, and credentials can be read from a physical machine.

Attempted solutions - 1) reinstalled the drivers, 2) Restarted the Certificate Propagation service 3) uninstall updates (however not successful as once finished, the updates re-install automatically)

Any help would be appreciated,

Clark

***Modified Title from: Microsoft June 2019 updates broke reading smartcard credentials***

:)

Clark_OT, Jun 19, 2019
  2. Anne Ros Win User

Smart Card Reader / Gettign a Card

Hi,

Smart card reader can be used for identification, authentication, and data storage. We suggest contacting the device manufacturer for further assistance on how to use the smart card reader.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Anne Ros, Jun 19, 2019
  3. WIndows 10 Compatible Smart Card Reader

I've been using an SCR3500 USB smart card reader for military websites for years with Windows 7. I've since found that this particular reader has been deprecated and will not work with my new Windows 10 machine.

Is there anyone out there using a smart card reader with Windows 10? If so, what make and model reader are you using? And yes, I've been to militarycac.com before someone suggests it. The site is offers a lot of suggestions but none of which are fixing
    my problem. Any assistance would greatly appreciated.

anthonycrivera, Jun 19, 2019
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

Pass-through authentication with smart cards work on domain environments. You may want to go through
    Use Virtual Smart Cards to know
    more about the same. As this requires expertise in an environment which has a direct two-way trust relationship, I suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet forums.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 19, 2019
Thema:

1. Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update. - Similar Threads - Virtual Machine reading

2. smart card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  3. smart card

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    smart card: I just used laplink PC Mover to transfer from one PC to a new PC. At first, everything worked fine. Then I installed a legacy scanner and had some certificate issues getting it installed Scanner is an Epson ES-500W, and since then when I open Outlook 2007 I get a pop up...
  4. smart card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Virtual Smart Card lock

Virtual Smart Card lock: Hello. Our company uses Windows authorization and some other services using a virtual smart card. The problem is that the virtual smart card is blocked after 5 incorrect PIN entries. It is the smart card that is blocked, not the TPM. Tell me, is it possible to somehow...
  6. PIV Smart Card Reader

PIV Smart Card Reader: Hi All, I am running Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1909 and 2004. I am tasked with trying to figure out how to a PIV Reader on my physical PC and then VPN\remote into another network PC , and have that PIV Card reader be functional on the remote session. I have gone into remote...
  7. Smart Card not reading CAC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Smart Card not reading CAC: Hi, After a microsoft update a few months ago my smart card reader no longer recognize my CAC. When I would try to log onto military sites, it would say no certificates present. On activclient middleware, it would say no card reader detected. I am using a SCR331 and a...
  8. Smart Card Reader problem after update 1909

Smart Card Reader problem after update 1909: Hello, I recently updated to 1909 18363.657. After the update my USB Smart Card reader doesn't work. I have 2 different brands of reader and both don't work. Both worked prior to the update. I don't have problems with other USB devices. I have the latest driver from...
  9. Windows update - smart card reader problems

Windows update - smart card reader problems: Hi! After last windows 10 update my laptop do not read usb smart cards no smart cards reader. Windows 10 home 1909 10.12.2019. 18363.535 Please help me. Kind regards! Marko Marković...
  10. Smart Card Reader driver problem

Smart Card Reader driver problem: Hello! So, I ended up here because I didn't know what else to do. I have a problem with my Smart Card Reader(ID-Card). Windows doesn't let me install drivers for it manually, neither did it install them automatically. It all happened after updating Windows to the Anniversary...