Windows 10: Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware

Discus and support Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Yep, as per my recent post history - im having a good run with networking stuff >< So my main pc and other pcs all show up in network when i turn them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by klepp0906, Jun 17, 2018.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware

Yep, as per my recent post history - im having a good run with networking stuff ><

So my main pc and other pcs all show up in network when i turn them on, disappear when i turn them off, great!

However any of my vm's when turned on appear properly, but when I turn them off - they dont disappear from network on my windows10 host and I end up with a plethora of entries in file explorer I couldnt access even if i wanted to.

Anyone familair with vm's and networking able to guess as to why the physical pc's all disappear when turned off but the virtual ones do not?

:)

klepp0906, Jun 17, 2018
  2. Trybird Win User

Install VMware Player virtual machines in Windows 10

Using virtual machines of VMware Player in Windows 10 has many advantages:

For example, some old softwares can only be used in the old system, but does not work properly or are not compatible in the Windows 10 new system, in these cases users can use old softwares on the virtual machines of old systems in Windows 10.

Another example is that some old hardwares' drivers can not be compatible with Windows 10 new system, also can use virtual machines of old systems in Windows 10 to load the drivers for old hardwares. Yes, anyway users can use virtual machines of VMware Player
    or Hyper-V to solve the issues that the latest drivers for old peripherals in Windows 10 would no longer have been provided by manufacturers, - these old peripherals should include printers, scanners, etc., but exclude video cards, network adapters cards,
    and so on.

Here is an example of the actual demand:

Epson WF-3540 printer and copier works, but cannot access the scanner at all

Also an example of the actual demand:

Is it possible to run Windows XP on a Surface Pro 4

In fact it is very simple for installing a VMware Player virtual machine in Windows 10, now I will practice it in here.

I could install a virtual machin of VMware Player by following steps:

1. Download VMware Player.

Open web browser and go to the following VMware Player official site:

http://www.vmware.com/products/player

Click "Try for free".

Beside "VMware Workstation 12 Player for Windows 64-bit" click "Download Now", then click "Save".

2. Creates a new folder for VMware Player.

Press Win+X, A, Alt+Y to open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window and run the following command in it:

md "E:\Software\Tools\VirtualMachines\VMware\VMwarePlayer"

3. Install VMware Player.

Double-click the downloaded file VMware-player-12.1.0-3272444.exe to start the installation.

The installation location is "E:\Software\Tools\VirtualMachines\VMware\VMwarePlayer".

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware f300a036-c921-4ce1-887a-e65a8b8e5e00.png

The detailed installing processes and steps are omitted...

4. Run VMware Player.

In File Explorer, double-click "E:\Software\Tools\VirtualMachines\VMware\VMwarePlayer\vmplayer.exe"

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware fe868147-657d-4a74-8664-614640d6f3da.png

Then type my email, and click [Continue] button... some steps are omitted...

Then VMware Player is starting.

5. Create Windows XP virtual machine in VMware Player.

Put the Windows XP installation disc into the optical disc drive (my optical disc drive is FVirtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware :).

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware 842f4152-c8ad-4f04-8180-af2c625b8585.png

In VMware Player, Click "Create a New Virtual Machine", then "New Virtual Machine Wizard" dialogbox pops up.

On the "Welcome to the New Virtual Machine Wizard" screen, under "Install from:", click or ensure that the default "Installer disc:" radio button is selected.

Then click [Next >] button.

On the "Easy Install Information" wizard, input Windows XP's product key, user full name, and password (can be empty).

On the "Name the Virtual Machine" wizard, I name the virtual machine as "Windows XP Professional", and then click [Browse...] button to select "E:\Software\Tools\VirtualMachines\VMware\VMwarePlayer\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Professional" as its stored location.

On the "Specify Disk Capacity" wizard, I type or select the Maximum disk size (GB): "40", click and select "Store vitual disk as a single file" radio button.

On the "Ready to Create Virtual Machine" wizard, click [Customize Hardware...] button, then click "USB Controller", click and ensure that the "Show all USB input devices" checkbox is selected, then click [Close] button.

Ensure that the "Power on this virtual machine after creation" checkbox is selected.

Then click [Finish] button.

6. Complete Windows XP installation.

After finished Windows XP virtual machine creation, "Windows XP Professional" virtual machine reveals in VMware Player, click and select it, then click "Play Virtual Machine".

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware f6e58aee-dfbf-44dc-9691-df43047276c0.png

Now Windows XP installing process starts, then I could follow the instructions to continue.

The detailed installing processes and steps are omitted...

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware 7d9698d4-2892-4872-aa40-18678cf01c98.png

After finished Windows XP installation, click and select it then click "Player" -> "Power" -> "Power On" to start it.

7. Do "check for software updates", "download all components including VMware Tools", "install or reinstall VMware Tools".

Click "Player" -> "Help" -> "Software Updates", then click [Check for Updates] button.

Click "Player" -> "File" -> "Preferences...", then click [Download All Components Now] button.

Click "Player" -> "Manage" -> "Install VMware Tools..." or "Reinstall VMware Tools...", then follow the instructions to continue.

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware 66715be3-5e92-4042-b61a-67c1ac1fb2e8.png

8. Enable and set shared forlders.

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware 399a658f-a2b1-449e-adda-5a27fadc9d7c.png

Click "Player" -> "Manage" -> "Virtual Machine Settings...", then click "Options" tab, click "Shared Forlders", click and select "Always enabled" radio button, click [Add...] button, then click [Next >] button, then type and set "E:\Software\Tools\VirtualMachines\VMware\VMwarePlayer\Shared"
    as Host Path and "Shared" as Name, then click and select "Map as a network drive in Windows guests", then click [OK] button to store these settings.

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware c2396ebc-fe7e-4d33-80cf-776ae9402dfc.png

The shared forlder(s) will be assigned default drive letter(s) such as Z: and so on mapped network drive(s) in virtual machine, also will be the window(s) swaping files, folders, and various data between the virtual machine guest and Windows 10 host. For
    example, I use an old scanner to scan an image in the virtual machine of old system, then I can save this image to a shared forlder, then in Windows 10 I can go to the shared forlder to get it. For another example, in Windows 10 I can put old software's installation
    files or old hardwares' drivers into a shared forlder, then in the virtual machine I can get them from the shared forlder and then use them to install old softwares or old peripherals' drivers.

Similarly, I also could install a virtual machin of Hyper-V by following steps:

1. Enable the features of Hyper-V.

Press Win+X, A, Alt+Y to open a Command Prompt (Adimin) window.

Because by default in Windows 10 the features of Hyper-V are turned off, so I need to run the following command in Command Prompt (Adimin) window to turn its features on:

dism /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:Microsoft-Hyper-V /All /NoRestart

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware 45aad5b3-c9f2-4b5d-8839-0b1baa47f82a.png

I could check the installation of hyper-v: first type or paste "appwiz.cpl" in the Cortana's search box, and then tap or click on the words which reveal on the Cortana's pop-up parts:

appwiz.cpl

Control panel item

Then the "Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features" window reveals, click "Turn Windows features on or off", then check and verify that all Hyper-V's features are installed.

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware 5c89a917-d46f-43d5-ae6f-ac3c480a4223.png

2. Restart the Windows 10 system.

3. Run "Hyper-V Manager".

I could type or paste "virtmgmt.msc" in the Cortana's search box, and then tap or click on the words which reveal on the Cortana's pop-up parts:

virtmgmt.msc

Microsoft Common Console Document

Then "Hyper-V Manager" is running.

4. Create Windows XP virtual machine in Hyper-V Manager

In Hyper-V Manager click its main menu: "Action" -> "New" -> "Virtual Machine..."

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware d7147f1f-a3aa-41c5-8a8e-170c78319780.png

Then "New Virtual Machine Wizard" dialogbox pops up.

Then on the "Before You Begin" screen I click [Next >] button.

Then on the "Specify Name and Location" screen I name the virtual machine as "Windows XP Professional".

Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware 0b2a45dc-ef38-48b5-92c3-eadafa0ffa97.png

And then click and select the "Store the virtual machine in a different location" checkbox, then click [Browse...] button to select "E:\Software\Tools\VirtualMachines\Hyper-V\" as the stored location.

Then on the "Specify Generation" screen, ensure that the default "Generation 1" radio button is selected and then click [Next >] button.

Then on the "Assign Memory" screen, type "2048" MB for the "Startup memory" value and ensure that the "Use Dynamic Memory for this machine" checkbox is selected.

Then on the "Configure Networking" screen, because I have not created any virtual switch, so in here the Connection setting still keep "Not Connected".

Then on the "Connect Virtual Hard Disk" screen, ensure that the default "Create a virtual hard disk" radio button is selected and then type or select the settings as below:

Name: "WinXPPro.vhdx"

Location: "E:\Software\Tools\VirtualMachines\Hyper-V\Windows XP Professional\Virtual Hard Disks\"

Size: "44" GB

Put the Windows XP installation disc into the optical disc drive, my optical disc drive is F:, so on the "Installation Options" screen, I click and select the "Install an operating system from a bootable CD/DVD-ROM" radio button.

Then the "Summary" screen reveals, view the virtual machine details in here and then click [Finish] button to complete the virtual machine creation.

5. Complete Windows XP installation

Now "Windows XP Professional" virtual machine reveals on the Virtual Machines list, its state is off.

Right-click it, and then in the shortcut menu click on "Start" item. (Also can double-click on the virtual machine, then click and select from menu: "Action" -> "Start".)

This is like pressing the power button on a physical computer. I might be prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", go ahead and do so.

The virtual machine boots into setup and I can walk through the installation just like I would on a physical computer.

The remaining steps are omitted...

Trybird, Jun 17, 2018
  3. Cannot turn off Hyper V, cannot run Virtual Box machines or VMWare machines

Since the latest update:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Verion: 1607

OS Build: 14393.222

I can no longer turn off Hyper V and thus cannot run Virtual Box machines or VMware machines.

When I attempt to turn off Hyper V and restart Windows as requested, Windows simply re-enables Hyper V.

Then when I try to run a Virtual Box machine, I get an error like this:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Centos 70.

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code:

Component:
    ConsoleWrap

Interface:
    IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

When I try to start a VMware machine, I get this:

VMware Player and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role from the system before running VMware Player.

But as I have noted, I am not able to turn off Hyper-V since the Anniversary Update.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph Heaphey, Jun 17, 2018
  4. Kari Win User

Internet exclusively on a Linux virtual machine?

I do not know if that is possible in VMware. In Hyper-V that is very simple, you just need to unselect Allow management operating system to share this network adapter in Virtual Switch Manager for your external virtual switch:
    Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware [​IMG]

• Selected = host and virtual machines have Internet connection
    • Unselected = virtual machines have Internet connection, host not

Thema:

1. Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware - Similar Threads - Virtual Machine networking

2. KB5014738 causing issues to VMware virtual machines

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KB5014738 causing issues to VMware virtual machines: Hello Folks,We faced an issue after installing patch KB5014738 on windows 2012 R2 servers. These are VMs on vmware vsphere. After installing the patch the remote services of machine went down and we could not RDP into the machine or access any share. The only fix was to login...
  3. KB5014738 causing issues to VMware virtual machines

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KB5014738 causing issues to VMware virtual machines: Hello Folks,We faced an issue after installing patch KB5014738 on windows 2012 R2 servers. These are VMs on vmware vsphere. After installing the patch the remote services of machine went down and we could not RDP into the machine or access any share. The only fix was to login...
  4. How to activate windows in vmware virtual machine?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to activate windows in vmware virtual machine?: Because I don't have windows activation key of my main physical system as it is digitally licenced. I'm using windows 10 home and 21H1 version on my main pc. And i'm testing windows 11 developer preview version on vmware on same system. But windows 11 is not activating even...
  5. Virtual Machine question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual Machine question: On Win 10 Pro, can Virtual Machine run an embedded version of Windows XP Pro as you could on Win 7 Pro? If so, HOW?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine-question/ac7a00c6-6adb-4469-8496-f686043bca63
  6. Installing Windows 10 as a Virtual Machine with VMware

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Windows 10 as a Virtual Machine with VMware: I have my registered copy of Windows 10. I want to install it as a virtual machine on VMware. Will my registration activate on the virtual machine if it is already activated on the host machine? If so, since it was tied to this machine at install, how do I register the...
  7. Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine: I have used VMware in the past with limited success though I suspect the hardware limitations had something to do with it. The leaning curve was modest if not at times tedious to confusing at times and I am not particularly looking forward to that again. What can you all tell...
  8. Virtual Machine Question

Virtual Machine Question: Hi Everyone, To be honest.. I've never really used the VM Player software before. I'm trying to run a virtual machine on my Windows 10 Professional 64-bit desktop. Of course I have already installed the latest version of the VM Player software, and I downloaded the latest...
  9. Dual booting inside a VMWARE Virtual Machine.

Dual booting inside a VMWARE Virtual Machine.: I decided (more out of academic interest than need) that I would setup windows 10586 in a vm on VMWARE, and also Insider version. Problem was I could not find anyway of doing this. You could install first version, but how to install second version, as you automatically...
  10. Vmware Wont Open a Virtual machine

Vmware Wont Open a Virtual machine: I have been trying to open a virtual machine but nothing happens. I did have Bitdefender installed but I've removed that (you can't add exclusions in the free version it seems), So I'm at a loss as to what is causing this. The only security I have running at the moment...