Windows 10: Virtual Machine Question

Discus and support Virtual Machine Question in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, To be honest.. I've never really used the VM Player software before. I'm trying to run a virtual machine on my Windows 10 Professional... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Davy49, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Davy49 Win User

Virtual Machine Question

Hi Everyone,
    To be honest.. I've never really used the VM Player software before. I'm trying to run a virtual machine on my Windows 10 Professional 64-bit desktop. Of course I have already installed the latest version of the VM Player software, and I downloaded the latest version of Windows 10 technical preview 64-bit ISO, I've followed the steps to create a new virtual machine, but I keep receiving errors. I just wanted to check out the technical preview without installing it. Has anyone else had this issue ?
    Thanks,
    David

:)

Davy49, Jan 22, 2017

2. Virtual machines .Windows Server 2016. And Windows 10

As part of a college side project I'm going to be running multiple virtual machine, on a singular desktop. there are 4 virtual machine needed to be made. one is windows sever 2016 and the other 3 are windows 10. Lastly I have 3 other external computers
    that each requiring remote access to Windows 10 Virtual machine. My Question is how would I do this.

Callum pilkington, Jan 22, 2017
  3. Can I delete my Windows 10 ISO file if I'm using Windows 10 through Parallels for Mac?

Upon attempting I lost my virtual machine completely. So, it would appear the answer to this question is actually no when it comes to Macs which is annoying because I just lost my entire virtual machine but also annoying I have to store an ISO file for
    the machine to run...

Nate Lehotsky, Jan 22, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Virtual Machine Question

NavyLCDR, Jan 22, 2017
  5. Davy49 Win User
    Dear NavyLCDR,
    Thanks so much for your reply, sometime this morning I'll fire up my desktop computer and try your advice. As far as the error message goes, as I remember correctly it had something to do with me trying to run a 64-bit ISO on my computer that has a 64-bit operating system installed on it.
    Thanks,
    David

I've already discovered one issue that might have been causing part of my issue, I went into control panel / Programs and Features / Turn windows Features On Or Off. Hyper-V wasn't turned on..I enabled it.

Davy49, Jan 22, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    That was if not a bad decision but at least a hasty one in case you want to continue using VMware!

I understood from your original post that you are using VMware Player as your virtualisation software. Hyper-V and VMware do not like each other, when Hyper-V is enabled as you did, VMware products do not work.

When Hyper-V has been enabled and you change your mind and want to use VMware instead, run this command in an elevated Command Prompt:

Code: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off[/quote] Restart the computer. You can now use VMware. If you later on decide to test Hyper-V, enter this command in an elevated Command Prompt and restart:

Code: bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto[/quote] Now VMware stops working and you can use Hyper-V.

The above also applies to Oracle VirtualBox users: having Hyper-V enabled you can only run 32 bit guests in VirtualBox. Turning hypervisorlaunchtype OFF you can run 64 bit guests in VirtualBox.

7. Davy49 Win User
    Hi Kari,
    Now I'm beginning to wonder if my desktop is not capable of running a virtual machine at all..maybe I should share my machine spec's. with those trying to help me.
    Thanks,
    David *Redface

Davy49, Jan 22, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Virtual Machine Question

NavyLCDR, Jan 23, 2017
  9. pparks1 Win User
    What errors are you getting? Do you get them installing your VM, or after install when you try to run it, etc?

pparks1, Jan 23, 2017
  10. Davy49 Win User
    Hi All,
    I've had a busy day, thank goodness I'm still on vacation this week. After going into the BIOS area under the Security area, I saw the' Virtual ' function was disabled.. of course I changed it to' enabled '. At least now I'm further along than I was, Windows 10 is actually trying to install on the virtual machine, it was moving forward pretty well, but now it's just stuck on the ' Windows stays up to date to help protect you in a online world ' screen. I'm thinking it's still installing because the hard drive on my desktop computer is still showing activity via the indicator light. I'm just trying to be patient and see if it finishes, at least I'm further along than I was.
    Thanks so much for everyone's help on this matter.
    Sincerely,
    David

Davy49, Jan 23, 2017
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @Davy49

1) Check BIOS to enable VT technology (Intel) -- I think you've done that.

2) COLD BOOT machine -- i.e switch off from Mains and re-boot.

3) Create a Windows install ISO (On HDD) -- you'll need the Software ISO to install the VM from. Don't bother messing around with a physical device.

4) Start VMPLAYER on Host machine

5) Configure new Virtual Machine -- give it say 2GB RAM - that's OK even for W10 X-64, and say 70 GB HDD space -- allocate in "chunks" rather than the whole lot to start with.

6) Choose Networking you want - I use Bridged but you can use NAT or HOST ONLY or even NONE. Note this can be changed after Guest OS is installed.

7) Define your ISO image as a "DVD" device in the configuration.

8) start the VM (Power on) -- it should start reading the ISO and create the OS.

If you get a message similar "Unable to find any HDD" - you will then need to create partition / initialize the HDD. Load the Recovery mode FROM WITHIN THE VM and with a Dos prompt go to DISKPART, LIST DISK, SELECT DISK n (where n is the disk nr showed in the LIST DISK line), CLEAN, CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY, ACTIVE, EXIT.

You don't need to format - Windows will do that.

Now Re-power on the VM and it should work just fine.

You could download something like an ISO of GPARTED if you need a GUI to create a partition on the Virtual Disk -- as before point the DVD to the GPARTED ISO in the VM config and power on again.

Don't forget though after the GUEST OS is installed to run install VMWARE TOOLS from WITHIN the VM - this handles correct Video drivers, optimises mouse and does a few other things - you'll notice the difference after you've installed VMware tools.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 29, 2017
  12. If you got the whole 64-bit installation process started in VMWare Player, then all is setup properly and Intel VT-x is enabled correctly and the VM host is also configured correctly.

Because your device is quite ancient and your HDDs are probably quite slow, it will take a lot of time to complete Windows setup. You will get there eventually.

slicendice, Jan 29, 2017
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Virtual Machine Question

Hi there

@Davy49

Any luck with the VM or still having problems.

actually once you've got the idea of VM's and have got your first Guest Up and running -- you'll find the whole process simple - and it's a great way of testing / using specific hardware / configurations etc keeping your HOST Free of any problems --if a VM goes Bonkers just delete and create a new one.

Don't forget also BACKUP of a VM is important too if you use it for daily purposes -- you can use the Windows type backups (Acronis / Macrium etc) or simply just copy the vm folder you created when creating the VM - or use "Clone VM" (not sure if that's available though in VMWARE Player, The easiest is after powering off the VM just backup your VM folder from within Windows.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Virtual Machine Question

1. Virtual Machine Question - Similar Threads - Virtual Machine Question

2. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine: Me want to go to Free Virtual windows thing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine/09a68db0-55fb-46e4-8ea2-2238cdaabe20
  3. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual Machine: So, I'm here to ask if using Windows in a VM virtual Machine Legal? Its cause I am not getting accurate answers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine/c2e9e1fa-15e4-4532-9864-d114aa139b86
  4. Virtual Machine question

Virtual Machine question: On Win 10 Pro, can Virtual Machine run an embedded version of Windows XP Pro as you could on Win 7 Pro? If so, HOW?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine-question/ac7a00c6-6adb-4469-8496-f686043bca63
  5. virtual machines

virtual machines: I have windows 10 pro as my main os and i want a copy of the same os so i can play around with the system configurations without harming my main os. How can i do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machines/8896c12f-46cf-4120-a190-fb287326fdf3
  6. Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium ivBoot Backup Virtual Machine Question: I'm new to using ivBoot so, I'm wondering about using the Backup Virtual Machine menu item. Does that create a backup file that's independent of the images that were used to create the VM (the VM is of a multi-boot system with a number of disks) or does it update the...
  7. Virtual Machine

Virtual Machine: I recently installed Hyper-V on my Lenovo Windows 10 machine and am trying to set up a Virtual Machine. I saw Andre Da Costa's post on Groovypost.com in regards to this. His post was dated January 11, 2019. I have not been able to access the BIOS setup screen, as pictured...
  8. virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtual machine: I want to build an oracle VM. I have a new PC with UEFI I am not used to. It is set to the old BIOS and secure boot is disabled. I found virtualization by searching and chose to change virtualization from disabled toe enabled. Is this what I should have done to use Oracle's...
  9. Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Virtual Machine networking question file explorer + vmware: Yep, as per my recent post history - im having a good run with networking stuff >< So my main pc and other pcs all show up in network when i turn them on, disappear when i turn them off, great! However any of my vm's when turned on appear properly, but when I turn them off...
  10. Clean Install on Virtual Machine - fundamental question...

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Clean Install on Virtual Machine - fundamental question...: Hi guys, This is hopefully a simple one to answer: If I set up a brand new Windows 10 VM (using VirtualBox) and perform a clean install of Win 10 Pro 64-bit (via the latest 1511 ISO image), at what stage will I need to activate Windows? Bearing in mind that this is a...