Windows 10: Virtual Machine

Discus and support Virtual Machine in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently installed Hyper-V on my Lenovo Windows 10 machine and am trying to set up a Virtual Machine. I saw Andre Da Costa's post on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AnbroBR, Apr 19, 2019.

1. AnbroBR Win User

Virtual Machine

I recently installed Hyper-V on my Lenovo Windows 10 machine and am trying to set up a Virtual Machine. I saw Andre

Da Costa's post on Groovypost.com in regards to this. His post was dated January 11, 2019. I have not been able

to access the BIOS setup screen, as pictured in Mr. Da Costa's post.

What I do see is the "Lenovo BIOS setup utility" and it looks nothing like what Mr. Da Costa has pictured.

I am trying to set up a Virtual Machine that will run a ham radio application, as I was able to do with my older Windows

7 Professional machine. For that machine, I had downloaded Microsoft's "Virtual PC" application, which emulated

Windows XP.

Thank you very much for any help with this!

Brad Anbro

:)

AnbroBR, Apr 19, 2019
  2. S_and_S Win User

Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, Apr 19, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

4. SUalive Win User

Virtual Machine

Virtual Machine on SurfaceBook2

Hello,

We are meeting hard time installing our soft - does not work on virtual machine - on Surface Book 2.

Customer Surface runs Windows10Pro on virtual machine and the owner seems to know nothing about virtual machine. We do not understand!

We know Surface Book comes with Win10S and could upgrade to Win10Pro.

At that time, does upgrade create a virtual machine?

Form where came this virtual machine? Really lost!

we asked our customer for running CMD>Systeminfo | findstr /i mod yielding the following.

System Model : Surface Book 2

[01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10 GenuineIntel 1910Mhz

Best Regards

***Moved from Surface Book 2 / Install, update, and repair***

SUalive, Apr 19, 2019
Thema:

Virtual Machine

1. Virtual Machine - Similar Threads - Virtual Machine

2. My virtual machine windows 10 pc is acting so dumb.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My virtual machine windows 10 pc is acting so dumb.: Hi:I had this alt virtual computer machine: Windows 11 is my host but the topic is my virtual pc in VMware,I set it for a boot option for my virtual pc so i can fix my main pc if hacked: or i used it to test some stuff,Now this virtual alternitive pc is month and 2 days old,...
  3. My virtual machine windows 10 pc is acting so dumb.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My virtual machine windows 10 pc is acting so dumb.: Hi:I had this alt virtual computer machine: Windows 11 is my host but the topic is my virtual pc in VMware,I set it for a boot option for my virtual pc so i can fix my main pc if hacked: or i used it to test some stuff,Now this virtual alternitive pc is month and 2 days old,...
  4. My virtual machine windows 10 pc is acting so dumb.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. VmmemWSA proccess using high memory without virtual machine installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VmmemWSA proccess using high memory without virtual machine installed: Hello for the past week or so I keep seeing VmmemWsa And Vmmem in task manager taking up oneof the 5 top spots for memory usage> Loooking around it seem like it is used for virtual machines and with a program like docker but I do not have or ever did have a virtual machine...
  6. VmmemWSA proccess using high memory without virtual machine installed

VmmemWSA proccess using high memory without virtual machine installed: Hello for the past week or so I keep seeing VmmemWsa And Vmmem in task manager taking up oneof the 5 top spots for memory usage> Loooking around it seem like it is used for virtual machines and with a program like docker but I do not have or ever did have a virtual machine...
  7. Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state: HelloI will start by noting that my virtual machine is stored on an external ssd to be used between two systems.One time I powered down the VM and unplugged my drive, when I came back to my pc in order to reopen the VM it's state was shown as saved-critical. I could not do...
  8. Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state

Virtual machine stuck in saved-critical state: HelloI will start by noting that my virtual machine is stored on an external ssd to be used between two systems.One time I powered down the VM and unplugged my drive, when I came back to my pc in order to reopen the VM it's state was shown as saved-critical. I could not do...
  9. Why i cant able to open my hyper v virtual machine windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why i cant able to open my hyper v virtual machine windows 10: please tell how to fix this issue i try most time and also i see this in youtube but i can't find solution please help meI have 4GB ram is it enough to run hyper v virtual machine in windows 10 please give Please help me to give the solution...
  10. Why i cant able to open my hyper v virtual machine windows 10

Why i cant able to open my hyper v virtual machine windows 10: please tell how to fix this issue i try most time and also i see this in youtube but i can't find solution please help meI have 4GB ram is it enough to run hyper v virtual machine in windows 10 please give Please help me to give the solution...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft windows 10 feature virtual machine platform