Windows 10: Virtual Memory on another drive

Discus and support Virtual Memory on another drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm a new member to your forums. I just wanted to get some input on a change I recently made with my computer. I have a small SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by briang20, Mar 11, 2016.

1. briang20 Win User

Virtual Memory on another drive

Hi everyone, I'm a new member to your forums. I just wanted to get some input on a change I recently made with my computer. I have a small SSD installed, which I mainly just use for virtual machines occasionally. My operating system isn't installed on this SSD, but rather a normal hard drive. I decided to turn off the virtual memory for the system drive and put it on the SSD. Do yous think that is a good idea, or should have left it on my hard drive with the actual operating system.

:)

briang20, Mar 11, 2016

2. how to do partition in a disk without losing data

divide the memory in different parts. this means hard drive memory is divided in different virtual drives. you would have seen in your computer c drive, d drive etc. that's your on hard drive divided in virtual drives

Jaspreet Singh1, Mar 11, 2016
  3. JimWynne Win User
    how to do partition in a disk without losing data

I understand what partitioning is. What I don't understand is why you answered a question that was asked of someone else.

JimWynne, Mar 11, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

I think you got it backwards. You should install the OS on the SSD to get the full performance benefit. The page file is of minor importance. On most systems with 4GB or more RAM it will be seldom used.

5. Archie123 Win User
    thats not strictly true most programs will ask for a chunk of pagefile to be put in reserve incase it needs it if this pagefile isnt available the os will assign it from system ram making that chunk of ram unuseable and wasting resources. Pagefile is very important and is always used. yes the os should be on the ssd and so should the pf which should be left at system managed , only ever delete or change pf size for troubleshooting

in short it doesnt matter how much system ram you have the pf will always be used as "set aside"

Archie123, Mar 11, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    My point was that it will hardly or not at all be used if you have a lot of RAM. But yes it should be defined even if we know that it has little or no use. A 1GB size should suffice or leave it to system managed.

7. LMiller7 Win User
    With the OS on a conventional drive it won't make any difference where the pagefile is. The time spent accessing the OS on the drive (and this will not just be at bootup) will overwhelm time spent accessing the pagefile.

Any computer with 12 GB RAM, an i7 CPU, and a GTX970 video card should have the OS on an SSD. That will do more for performance than anything else.

LMiller7, Mar 11, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Lol....

Just to give you an idea I still have an old Dell OptiPlex 745 running SATA II in IDE mode and it still benefits from the OCZ sata II SSD the OS is installed on.

Bottom line, if you have an SSD use it to put the OS on, if it's really small put the paging file on a regular HDD if must be.

Not that I advise anyone to do like me but I've been running every pc I've owned without any paging file whatsoever for more than a decade, probably two lol, without any problems at all. Of course, if you run software that absolutely needs it then enable it by all means.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Mar 12, 2016
  9. WHS
    whs Win User
    You probably had a paging file too. If I remember, the system will automatically allocate one of something like 350MB or so.

10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

You can still disable it by setting it to 0 Mb and you should then disable memory dumping as well.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Mar 12, 2016
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    It is not worth going thru all that trouble - for what ??

12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Sure... Just to prove a point though. *Cool

I'm old enough to have been running Win 3.11 on a 100Mb drive if you catch my drift.... The days of Doublespace, Stacker and what have you.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Mar 12, 2016
  13. WHS
    whs Win User

I am too pragmatic for those kinds of exercises.

14. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

No argument there. *Smile

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Mar 12, 2016
  15. briang20 Win User
    Thanks for the advice everyone

briang20, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Virtual Memory on another drive - Similar Threads - Virtual Memory another

2. Virtual Memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Memory: Can I increase the size of virtual Memory after manually setting it onceActually I had set my virtual Memory for 12 GB and now when I try to increase it,it doesn't increases https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-memory/2282dafe-cf9d-4a27-a932-6f8ccec5cc90
  3. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual memory: Hello all hope every one is having a good Day/Night I have a Asus IntelR CoreTM i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz with 24 gig of ram With a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TiI Play Games mostly on my pc like The Witcher series, Fallout series, Borderlands Series & Red Dead Redemption 2 ....
  4. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual memory: Hello all hope every one is having a good Day/Night I have a Asus IntelR CoreTM i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz with 24 gig of ram With a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 TiI Play Games mostly on my pc like The Witcher series, Fallout series, Borderlands Series & Red Dead Redemption 2 ....
  5. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Virtual Memory

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virtual Memory: I have a SSD 128gb and 1TB HDD.Should i set more VM on HDD does it make the pc run better or should i check the AUTOMATICALLY MANAGE PAGING FILE FOR ALL DRIVES Currently, i set Virtual memory like this :...
  7. Currently Allocated Virtual Memory doesn't include Paging File from another drive

Currently Allocated Virtual Memory doesn't include Paging File from another drive: Hi. I have last installed Windows 10 version with all updates. Virtual Memory works fine on drive C, but it doens't work on Drive G. I set minimum Paging File Size for drive C and appropriate for drive G and after system restart, I can see this in the Virtual Memory...
  8. Virtual memory

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual memory: Hi guys, I'm trying to clear up some space on my SSD to install some games and I've noticed that my virtual memory is taking up 244GB !! I feel like this is highly irregular as all I can find online is about upping the virtual memory size. I'd like to reduce this, but I'm not...
  9. Virtual Memory

Virtual Memory: I am a wise idiot to these things and I rarely keep up with the current trends but I've started using a laptop again. I notice the machine is: running inconsistently slow - the 'hard drive access LED' is flashing ALOT - and is doing things when I'm not using the input...
  10. Virtual Memory

Virtual Memory: I increased my virtual memory by extra 10 GB but later I reduced it to default value. Therefore, now it should show 10 GB of extra free space in my hard drive but its not showing. How to get back that 10 GB space?...