Windows 10: Virtual network adapter not getting installed

Discus and support Virtual network adapter not getting installed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The issue started when I tried to add a new virtual network in VMware Workstation 14 using Virtual Network Editor but the changes revert back without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PraneethManoharan, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Virtual network adapter not getting installed

The issue started when I tried to add a new virtual network in VMware Workstation 14 using Virtual Network Editor but the changes revert back without getting applied. I tried with different versions multiple times but the issue remained. Then I noticed the virtual network adapter is not getting installed during the VMware installation process (I'm attaching the pic below). The same thing happened for Virtual Box too. At last I tried enabled Hyper-V, and during the reboot I get the message "We Couldn’t Complete the Updates. Undoing Changes". What can I do to sort this issue?

VMware:

Virtual network adapter not getting installed e2fe46a4-cff3-4338-b7e7-ad7e21ba2006?upload=true.jpg

Virtual Box:

Virtual network adapter not getting installed 73050485-1606-4262-9a0c-0caf19c29598?upload=true.jpg

Hyper-V:

Virtual network adapter not getting installed cc859906-007e-4370-90f7-07f7e3dccbdc?upload=true.jpg

:)

PraneethManoharan, Aug 13, 2019

2. how to install microsoft hosted network virtual adapter

Hello Jiaqi,

From the description provided, I understand that windows is unable to configure the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter device in Windows.

We would like to know the device status of the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter in the

Device Manager
    settings.

Unknown and uninstalled devices will be listed under
    Other. The device will have a yellow alert symbol on it. The properties for the device will show that
    no driver was found.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to follow these steps to run the Windows in built troubleshooter:

a) Write Troubleshooting in the search box and hit enter.

b) Click on Troubleshooting
    tab.

c) Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

d) Select the Network Adapter option from the list.

e) Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
    Troubleshooter.

If you don't find the requisite drivers installed, follow the below steps to install the drivers.

• Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard and type “devmgmt.msc” in the “Run” Command box and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Device Manager” window, search for the 'Network Adapter'
      drivers, right click on it and then select "Update Driver Software'.
    • Then select the option 'Browse my computer for driver software '>>
      'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computers'.
    • Now uncheck the option 'Show compatible hardware'.
    • Under the Manufacturer select Microsoft and search for 'Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter'
      under Model.
    • Now follow the on screen instructions.

Write to us with the updated status on the issue related to Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter configuration. If the issue still persists, we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Aug 13, 2019
  3. microsoft hosted network virtual adapter

Hi Sayan,

I too, had uninstalled the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter, since I was unable to create a hotspot from the computer. After restarting, I was hoping for the adapter to be visible/present in the device manager, as it happens when we
    uninstall a USB Controller.

However, after restarting, the adapter is not seen in the Network adapters list, and also not found under the
    Other list, as you suggested above. This was checked after enabling view for hidden devices. Also, there is
    no yellow alert symbol near any adapter.

I have also restored the computer to an earlier restore point, but the adapter is still not seen !

Since, the Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter itself is not found in the list, there is no way to update the driver software for it.

Hotspot creation has worked for me many times since I've upgraded to Windows 10, and I need it to keep working as before.

Request you to help !

Thank you.

Also, Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter is not associated with a hardware, is it ?

ArtiShelar, Aug 13, 2019
  4. Virtual network adapter not getting installed

Hosted network virtual adapter

Hi Pinank,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to install the drivers back and check if this helps:

• Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard and type “devmgmt.msc” in the “Run” Command box and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Device Manager” window, search for the 'Network Adapter'
      drivers, right click on it and then select "Update Driver Software'.
    • Then select the option 'Browse my computer for driver software '>>
      'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computers'.
    • Now uncheck the option 'Show compatible hardware'.
    • Under the Manufacturer select Microsoft and search for 'Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter'
      under Model.
    • Now follow the on screen instructions.

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Aug 13, 2019
Thema:

Virtual network adapter not getting installed

1. Virtual network adapter not getting installed - Similar Threads - Virtual network adapter

2. Virtual network adapter not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual network adapter not working: Virtual network adapter not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-network-adapter-not-working/f6d684be-6676-4dd0-8050-a078cd0e7a12
  3. Virtual network adapter not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual network adapter not working: Virtual network adapter not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-network-adapter-not-working/f6d684be-6676-4dd0-8050-a078cd0e7a12
  4. Virtual Network Adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Network Adapter: My Windows 11 laptop will no longer connect to Wi-Fi. It says "You're connected using a virtual network adapter that we can't test." I have restarted my laptop and rebooted the modem, neither worked. Any help on what to do next?...
  5. Virtual Network Adapter

Virtual Network Adapter: My Windows 11 laptop will no longer connect to Wi-Fi. It says "You're connected using a virtual network adapter that we can't test." I have restarted my laptop and rebooted the modem, neither worked. Any help on what to do next?...
  6. Virtual network adapter not getting installed during VMware installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual network adapter not getting installed during VMware installation: Hello, I recently downloaded VMware without any issues, but I had to uninstall it because it caused my VPN to stop working. Even after uninstalling VMware, my VPN still isn't functioning correctly. Now, when I try to download VMware from the official website, the virtual...
  7. Virtual network adapter not getting installed during VMware installation

Virtual network adapter not getting installed during VMware installation: Hello, I recently downloaded VMware without any issues, but I had to uninstall it because it caused my VPN to stop working. Even after uninstalling VMware, my VPN still isn't functioning correctly. Now, when I try to download VMware from the official website, the virtual...
  8. Cant install microsoft hosted network virtual adapter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant install microsoft hosted network virtual adapter: basically when i install it, its says code 10 could not start my laptop is the HP 245 G7 Notebook PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-install-microsoft-hosted-network-virtual/03bab3bd-cf75-4421-84ae-11667b62cb2c
  9. Unable to install the virtual network adapter in VMWare workstation 15 and Virtual box 6 -...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to install the virtual network adapter in VMWare workstation 15 and Virtual box 6 -...: Hello Experts, I am unable to install virtual Ethernet adapter (host only and bridge) on both VM Ware workstation pro 15 and Virtual box 6. I have reinstalled both software multiple times and issue still exists. Both VMNet1 and VMNet8 are not showing in the adapter...
  10. 'Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter' does not exist in network adapter tree

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    'Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter' does not exist in network adapter tree: Hello, I have tried finding a solution to finding a driver download for this virtual network adapter but there is none except for the 2007 version. I checked the hidden devices, enabled internet sharing through my ethernet connection, and I cannot enable my personal wifi...