Windows 10: Virtual Smart Card lock

Discus and support Virtual Smart Card lock in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello. Our company uses Windows authorization and some other services using a virtual smart card. The problem is that the virtual smart card is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MEugeney, Sep 10, 2020.

1. MEugeney Win User

Virtual Smart Card lock

Hello.

Our company uses Windows authorization and some other services using a virtual smart card. The problem is that the virtual smart card is blocked after 5 incorrect PIN entries. It is the smart card that is blocked, not the TPM. Tell me, is it possible to somehow increase the number of incorrect attempts to enter or unlock a smart card after a certain period of time?

I know about unblocking with the PUK and PIN of the administrator.

We have a domain infrastructure, we use Win Server 2019 + Win 10 Pro 2004

:)

MEugeney, Sep 10, 2020
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

Pass-through authentication with smart cards work on domain environments. You may want to go through
    Use Virtual Smart Cards to know
    more about the same. As this requires expertise in an environment which has a direct two-way trust relationship, I suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet forums.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Sep 10, 2020
  3. virtual smart card not found

I have a "virtual digitalbadge" on my PC, which, I think, is an implementation of virtual smart card technology. I use it to set up a VPN to my partner company.

When I try to set up the VPN, I often get the message "select a smart cart device". Screenshot:

Virtual Smart Card lock 44cf132c-b921-4da8-bc10-ccd522f1dbe1.png

The Japanese text means "insert smart card". I can't proceed, since I don't know how to "insert" a virtual smart card.

I believe this happens consistently after hibernation; a reboot fixes the problem but is a very poor workaround, since it takes about 15 minutes until my PC becomes usable. Of course I could avoid hibernation, but I hibernate for a reason (i.e. I want to
    have the same programs running when I switch my PC on as when I switch it off).

The same happens whenever Internet Explorer wants to check the certificate on the smart card.

Is there a tool, a command, a registry entry, anything that helps me "inserting" the smart card without rebooting? Is there a log file or anything else to find out where the process is broken so that I can fix it?

BerndBausch, Sep 10, 2020
  4. Naveen_M Win User

Virtual Smart Card lock

About the security of Virtual Smart Cards

Hi Arachnide,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Windows 10 uses the TPM to protect the encryption keys for BitLocker Volumes, virtual smart cards, certificates, and the many other keys that TPM is used to generate. TPM is used to securely record and protect integrity-related measurements of select hardware.
    The TPM can also be used to generate and store cryptographic keys.

You can refer to this thread in Microsoft TechNet forums on
    Does Windows remember PIN of the Virtual Smart Card in memory? and check.

I'd suggest you to post your query in the
    TechNet forums
    where we have a team of experts who are well equipped to answer your query. Queries regarding encryption and decryption are best addressed here.

Regards,

Naveen M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Naveen_M, Sep 10, 2020
Thema:

Virtual Smart Card lock

1. Virtual Smart Card lock - Similar Threads - Virtual Smart Card

2. Virtual Smart Card user on a Windows 10 login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Smart Card user on a Windows 10 login: I wanted to know if it was possible to have the login screen only show the Smart Card login when a user wakes up a windows machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-smart-card-user-on-a-windows-10-login/0eeb093a-44d6-4072-ab75-0c5b93c2e549
  3. Virtual Smart Card user on a Windows 10 login

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Smart Card user on a Windows 10 login: I wanted to know if it was possible to have the login screen only show the Smart Card login when a user wakes up a windows machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-smart-card-user-on-a-windows-10-login/0eeb093a-44d6-4072-ab75-0c5b93c2e549
  4. Future deprecation of virtual smart cards

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Future deprecation of virtual smart cards: Hello,On https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/virtual-smart-cards/virtual-smart-card-overview, there is the following note:Windows Hello for Business is the modern, two-factor authentication for Windows 10. Microsoft will be deprecating...
  5. Future deprecation of virtual smart cards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Future deprecation of virtual smart cards: Hello,On https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/identity-protection/virtual-smart-cards/virtual-smart-card-overview, there is the following note:Windows Hello for Business is the modern, two-factor authentication for Windows 10. Microsoft will be deprecating...
  6. Future deprecation of virtual smart cards

7. Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Virtual Machine is not reading Smart Card reader and Smart card after Windows update.: Environment: WIN10 v1607 ENT N 2016 2016 / Virtual Machine - (Physical desktops with updates operate correctly) Since installing latest updates, all VM's will not read the certificates. However both objects "SCR35xx Smart Card Reader" and "Smart Card" -ARE- shown in device...
  8. About the security of Virtual Smart Cards

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    About the security of Virtual Smart Cards: Hello all, Trying to have a good overview about the security of Virtual Smart Cards relying on TPMs, I read this very short article (the only I found) covering this topic (first part):...
  9. TPM Virtual Smart Card creation

TPM Virtual Smart Card creation: Hello, I'm having an issue regarding TPM Virtual Smart Card creation. I'm using a method from Windows.Devices.SmartCards.dll, SmartCardProvisioning class, RequestVirtualSmartCardCreationAsync(String, IBuffer, SmartCardPinPolicy), and I'm continuously getting an error...
  10. Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Disable PIN caching for Virtual Smart Cards: We want to store digital certificates for PDF signing in virtual smart cards. Due to regulatory reasons (FDA, we are developing medical devices), I have to assure that the PIN protecting the certificate has to be (re-)entered for each document to be signed. The default...