Windows 10: Virtualization Technology In Firmware and Kernel DMA Protection for Thunderbolt

Discus and support Virtualization Technology In Firmware and Kernel DMA Protection for Thunderbolt in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am wondering if the Virtualization Technology in Firmware needs to be enabled to ensure there is Kernel DMA Protection. Looking at my computers... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Artemis_ATM, May 12, 2020.

1. Virtualization Technology In Firmware and Kernel DMA Protection for Thunderbolt

I am wondering if the Virtualization Technology in Firmware needs to be enabled to ensure there is Kernel DMA Protection. Looking at my computers system information it shows that the Kernal DMA Protection is on but the Virtualization based security is not enabled. Is this okay? Do I still have full Kernal DMA Protection?

:)

Artemis_ATM, May 12, 2020

2. BitLocker flaw revealed

A recent flaw in BitLocker protected drives were discovered regarding Thunderbolt and DMA attacks and one of the mentioned mitigations to this type of attack is enabling the Kernel DMA Protection mode. I followed the below steps as directed and this option is still disabled. I'm running Win10 v1803 and plus, I updated my UEFI firmware to the latest update on my laptop E6440. My question is, will this be enabled in v1809 or will I need to purchase a whole new laptop?

Kernel DMA Protection for Thunderbolt™ 3 (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs
    •Reboot into BIOS settings
    •Turn on Intel Virtualization Technology.
    •Turn on Intel Virtualization Technology for I/O (VT-d). In Windows 10 version 1803, only

win10freak, May 12, 2020
  3. thunderbolt 3 to displayport adapter

Hi John,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that inconvenience you are facing when the things may not work as expected.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

When the Thunderbolt 3 is used with certain eighth generation Intel processor-based Windows 10 systems, there is a possibility that the two USB 3.0 ports on the back of the dock (closest to the Ethernet port)
    may not be recognized properly by the operating system.

However, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below and let us know if that helps.

1. Disconnect the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock from the system and remove its power cable to turn off completely.
    2. Uninstall the Intel ‘Thunderbolt Software’ present on your system via the Control Panel ->
      Programs and Features and restart the device once.
    3. Download and install the latest version of the Intel Thunderbolt Software published by your system manufacturer. If you are unable to obtain this download from your system manufacturer, you can download a version directly from Intel
      here -> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC8i7HNK-NUC8i7HVK
    4. Restart the system once again.
    5. Reconnect the power cable to the pluggable Thunderbolt 3 dock, and then reconnect the Thunderbolt 3 cable from the dock to your system.
    6. You should be prompted to authenticate/approve the dock. Follow the onscreen prompts for the completion of the process and check the status of the issue.

If the issue still persists I suggest you to get in touch with the
    Thunderbolt support for the further assistance.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, May 12, 2020
  4. Virtualization Technology In Firmware and Kernel DMA Protection for Thunderbolt

NEED dmaguard.admx file and dmaguard.adml file to configure KERNEL DMA PROTECTION VIA GPEDIT.MSC

hello users and moderators .

I need two files namely "dmaguard.admx" and "dmaguard.adml" to configure kernel dma protection via group policy editor in windows 10 enterprise v1803 64bit build no 17314.319 .

I have searched Microsoft website and in google also, I don't get those files . So I am requesting all the users , if have those two files "dmaguard.admx" and "dmaguard.adml" , please upload via onedrive and
    share the link

RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS, May 12, 2020
Thema:

Virtualization Technology In Firmware and Kernel DMA Protection for Thunderbolt

1. Virtualization Technology In Firmware and Kernel DMA Protection for Thunderbolt - Similar Threads - Virtualization Technology Firmware

2. Kernel DMA protection: Off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kernel DMA protection: Off: When I try to turn on DMA Protection in Core isolation it tells me it is on,Yet when I check in system info it says it's off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kernel-dma-protection-off/a536e899-8b2b-4703-99c7-b1cc19e17dca
  3. Kernel DMA protection: Off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kernel DMA protection: Off: When I try to turn on DMA Protection in Core isolation it tells me it is on,Yet when I check in system info it says it's off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kernel-dma-protection-off/a536e899-8b2b-4703-99c7-b1cc19e17dca
  4. Kernel DMA protection: Off

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Kernel DMA protection

Kernel DMA protection: I want to enable DMA protection but I can`t even with VBS turned on. Please help me enable it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kernel-dma-protection/5ff93b67-6690-476d-8e74-680e547e04fe
  6. Kernel DMA protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kernel DMA protection: I want to enable DMA protection but I can`t even with VBS turned on. Please help me enable it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kernel-dma-protection/5ff93b67-6690-476d-8e74-680e547e04fe
  7. Kernel DMA protection ,how to turn it on

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Kernel DMA protection ,how to turn it on: Hi guys I hope you can help me, i am trying to turn on the Kernel Dma Protection and after tried all i could find online ,the status is still off .I have xps15 9570, bios is up too date ,all the virtualization is enabled on bios , in Group Policy editor i turned on...
  8. Kernel DMA protection ,how to turn it on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kernel DMA protection ,how to turn it on: Hi guys I hope you can help me, i am trying to turn on the Kernel Dma Protection and after tried all i could find online ,the status is still off .I have xps15 9570, bios is up too date ,all the virtualization is enabled on bios , in Group Policy editor i turned on...
  9. Kernel DMA protection ,how to turn it on

10. Kernel DMA protection

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Kernel DMA protection: Hello community, Need your help/advice's in 2 side. What does mean DMA and should i turn it ON? Second is which have to turn on for best performances for virtualization? I am using VMware player 16. Windows 10 x64 20H2 version. see screenshot please thanks in advanced....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. which processor families have dma kernel protection

2. firmware protection via group policy