Windows 10: Virus broke Windows Defender & Windows Updates

Discus and support Virus broke Windows Defender & Windows Updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, Recently I have been struck by a pretty nasty Trojan. It was able to remove all 3rd party anti-viruses which I had installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LeandroV., Nov 7, 2018.

1. LeandroV. Win User

Virus broke Windows Defender & Windows Updates

Hi everyone,

Recently I have been struck by a pretty nasty Trojan. It was able to remove all 3rd party anti-viruses which I had installed (Bitdefender & Malwarebytes) and it broke Windows Defender and Windows Updates.

After re-installing Malwarebytes it found a Trojan.BitCoinMiner and it succesfully removed it, however, my Windows Defender and Windows Updates are still not working. This is how Windows Defender looks like for me:

http://prntscr.com/lfcx5a

http://prntscr.com/lfcx8g

http://prntscr.com/lfcxcz

You might think that this is how Windows Defender looks normally, but no, you can check by opening Windows Defender for yourself. Besides it looking like this, none of the buttons do anything, e.g. ''Scan now'' won't do anything.

Besides Windows Defender being broken, I also can no longer install updates, I will get an error message displayed. Here yet another picture:

http://prntscr.com/lfcxil

And in case it might help, this is what Malwarebytes found:

http://prntscr.com/lfcxm8

I had also installed other anti-viruses, such as Bitdefender, Kaspersky and Avast, and they all found nothing after Malwarebytes took action. I have tried searching for solutions but until now I haven't had any luck. Apparently it's impossible to ''re-download/install'' Windows Defender, which is a shame.

I know that re-installing Windows will solve the issue, but I really don't want to. I am a student and I need this laptop desperately every day, especially now since I have finals. Besides, I don't want to go through the hassle of re-installing all the drivers.

How will I be able to ''recover'' Windows without losing all files & drivers? Honestly all what needs to be fixed is Windows Defender & Updates.

Hoping to receive some help.

Kind regards,

Leandro V.

:)

LeandroV., Nov 7, 2018
  2. jsfitz54 Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Update Issues

Problems with W10 Anniv auto update:

Mom's: (x58 Xeon 5677) Windows Defender was not turned back on automatically (it was "on" in the 1511 edition) and she had a Trojan. Full system scan to eradicate.
    Her Epson printer was knocked off, had to uninstall by Device Manager pull USB cable and reconnect cable. W10 did the rest.

Step-mom's: (HP pre built) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Her USB Seagate Expansion Drive 2Tb was offline so all backup routines were halted. Had to rerun backup plan. Had her do a full virus scan.

Step-dad's: (Dell Optiplex tweaked upgrades) Windows Defender not turned back on by default. Full Scan.

jsfitz54, Nov 7, 2018
  3. P4-630 Win User
    SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    Let your Windows 8 Defender update itself automatically.

P4-630, Nov 7, 2018
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

What the hell, windows defender?

Correct. This leaves me wondering if the update superseded gpedit settings, because these updates tend to reset a bunch of shit, or if the update broke/ignored that gpedit setting because there was some change to Windows Defender which doesn't respect gpedit changes.

Right. I'm a pretty careful user, and know how to avoid getting viruses. That's not to say I'm invulnerable or something unexpected might not happen sometime, but for me, it's more convenient to disable antivirus software than it is to have one running that constantly thinks my miner is a virus...

@Bill_Bright My problem with Microsoft is that I just want my computer to function the way I want it to. If I change settings, disable stuff, or even make changes Microsoft may think aren't particularly wise, such as disabling Defender, not using another antivirus software, and disabling UAC, I should be able to expect that it will function the same way tomorrow and 10 years from now, provided I don't make any changes myself.

Thema:

1. Virus broke Windows Defender & Windows Updates - Similar Threads - Virus broke Defender

2. Windows Defender's Virus And Spyware Definitions Not Updating

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender's Virus And Spyware Definitions Not Updating: My windows defender's virus and spyware definitions isn't updating when I check for updates in windows update and also in the windows defender user interface either.I submit a prove about what happen when I tried to update it.I am not a fan of going to...
  3. Windows Update 19042.868 Broke Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update 19042.868 Broke Windows Defender: I installed a Windows update on 3/16/2021 Latest optional version, 20H2 - 19042.868 - KB5001567. I have no system restore points and I cannot delete the latest update. I cannot turn on Windows Defender and I'm getting the following error box which I cannot close: ---...
  4. Windows Update 19042.868 Broke Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update 19042.868 Broke Windows Defender: I installed a Windows update on 3/16/2021 Latest optional version, 20H2 - 19042.868 - KB5001567. I have no system restore points and I cannot delete the latest update. I cannot turn on Windows Defender and I'm getting the following error box which I cannot close: ---...
  5. Windows defender virus definitions update question

Windows defender virus definitions update question: I've been using Avast antivirus for a year, and I want to remove it and use Windows Defender, but I'm worried that my Windows Defender won't update its virus definitions because there's an Avast antivirus running. So before I am removing my previous AV and use WD, I want to...
  6. Windows Defender won't update virus definition

Windows Defender won't update virus definition: I received a Windows security alert saying that virus and threat protection definition is out of date. Clicking on the "update" button just turns endlessly. Tried a couple of different ways to manually update https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/defenderupdates; running the...
  7. Windows defender broke my drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows defender broke my drivers: Ok guys so i put amd drivers to update and in middle of ubdating i got error and my drivers got completed broke. So i booted safe mode used ddu and boot normal try instaling drives and boom error amd drivers file system error -1073740791. Then i try running difrent version of...
  8. Windows defender broke

Windows defender broke: I recently removed some malware from my computer and I think it damaged my windows defender. The homepage is completely empty as shown in the screenshot, and I am unable to scan or anything. I tried resetting the settings to default however there was no change. Is there any...
  9. Windows Defender Virus and Spyware definitions not updating

Windows Defender Virus and Spyware definitions not updating: Windows Defender update stalling and then not completing. Message says 'Didn't update due to an internet or network connection problem'. Have tried many times over the last few days....
  10. window defender virus definition update error

window defender virus definition update error: every time i try to update the spyware and virus definitions its popup a message that it couldnt be updated and shows error code: 0x80004004. what should i do?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update broke windows defender scanning