Windows 10: Virus got through Windows Defender, crippled Windows Security Virus & threat protection.

Discus and support Virus got through Windows Defender, crippled Windows Security Virus & threat protection. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. Today I noticed that I hadn't got a Windows Update in a while. Sure enough, I discovered that the service was broken and could not be started... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Johanp_, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Johanp_ Win User

Virus got through Windows Defender, crippled Windows Security Virus & threat protection.

Hi.

Today I noticed that I hadn't got a Windows Update in a while. Sure enough, I discovered that the service was broken and could not be started manually. The reason for this, after a bit of digging, was that a good chunk of the registry entries for the Windows Update service were missing. I had a friend export their Windows Update related registry keys and I got the system working again. Following this I installed about 5 updates in total, one of which was a big cumulative one, and after that I installed 1909.

Now I wouldn't put it past this lovely operating system to entirely bork itself as it has done so for me and many others in the past. However a friend suggested that I run a virus scan and I figured it couldn't hurt, confidently exclaiming that I hadn't had a virus for about 10 years or so.

Turns out the Windows Security Virus & threat protection was also broken. Very broken, in fact. I installed malwarebytes, ran a quick scan and discovered a veritable infestation of computer ligma. With 21 instances of malware detected, it was truly a smorgasbord of virtual diseases. Mostly trojans, some malicious registry edits and a couple "backdoors". I wiped them, ran a full system scan which revealed nothing new and then set about trying to fix my antivirus.

Now 2 hours later I have not had much success and I am writing this in the hopes that someone will help me.

Yes, I did disable (even uninstall) malwarebytes before trying to start the following service.

C:\Windows\system32>net start WdNisSvc

The Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service service is starting.

The Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service service could not be started.

I don't know if this is useful information but I will include it here.

C:\Windows\system32>sc start WdNisSvc

SERVICE_NAME: WdNisSvc

TYPE : 10 WIN32_OWN_PROCESS

STATE : 2 START_PENDING

(NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)

WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)

SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)

CHECKPOINT : 0x0

WAIT_HINT : 0x7d0

PID : 7568

FLAGS :

This is what I've tried so far.

• sfc /scannow
    • DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
    • Checked Group Policy for any abnormal settings related to Windows Defender/Security

I have also modified a couple of registry entries relating to Windows Defender:
    • Deleted 3 entries in "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection" which were set to disable certain features relating to real-time protection
    • Deleted 1 entry in "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" which was set to disable the antivirus feature.
    Notably:
    • The value of "Start" in "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService" is set to 3. I would like to know if this is correct as I have seen people suggest both 2 and 3.
    • The value of "Start" in "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WdNisDrv" is set to 3. I don't know if this is correct or not.
    • The value of "Start" in "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WdNisSvc" is set to 3. I don't know if this is correct or not.

If someone could help me with this it would probably make my day, I've been messing with this all day and it's pretty exhausting.

:)

Johanp_, Nov 14, 2019

2. Virus & Threat Protection not show up in Windows Security

Hello,

My name is Jennifer, an independent advisor trying to help.

Here you have the steps to activate it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/401298...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/securi...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/securi...

https://www.howto-connect.com/disable-enable-vi...

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it

Regards.

JenniferCooper19, Nov 14, 2019
  3. Cannot turn on Windows Defender virus protection

I had the same sort of symptoms. In the Windows Security Center, under Virus and threat protection, it said "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization."

Virus got through Windows Defender, crippled Windows Security Virus & threat protection. wm5Jc.png

I note you mentioned the Registry Keys under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Defender. Nice spotting, but it seems like there is another key that is causing the problem for some users.

Steps to a solution:

1. Press the Windows key and type "regedit"
    2. On the regedit icon that appears, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Navigate to the folder located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender (You can paste this into the address box at the top of the window, or navigate manually using the side directory structure)
    4. In this folder, there are probably two keys. Right-click and Delete the DisableAntiSpyware key.
    5. Exit regedit, and return to the Windows Defender settings screen (refresh it if necessary). Windows Defender should have the scan options available and working.

Solution adapted from here, with a much more detailed solution here.

MechtEngineer, Nov 14, 2019
  4. JCH54 Win User

Virus got through Windows Defender, crippled Windows Security Virus & threat protection.

virus and threat protection

Virus and threat protection has stopped and will not restart, Windows 10 ver 1709, antimalware client ver 4.12.16299.15 . SuperAntiSpyware installed.

I have tried most of the suggestions from the support pages, all have been ineffective. Any suggestions

Moved from: Virus and Malware / Windows Defender / Updating Virus and Spyware Definitions / Windows 10

JCH54, Nov 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Virus got through Windows Defender, crippled Windows Security Virus & threat protection. - Similar Threads - Virus got through

2. Virus/ Threat Protection in Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus/ Threat Protection in Windows Security: My Virus/ Threat Protection in Windows Security will not load.Circle just spins. Thanks, J https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-threat-protection-in-windows-security/3e8c49f0-f3d3-49c2-ae5d-276fbb032981
  3. virus threat protection on in windows security

virus threat protection on in windows security: why can't I turn virus threat protection on in windows security https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-threat-protection-on-in-windows-security/4b908ecd-e61d-41d4-b711-80cbe629d7d3
  4. Windows Defender Virus & Threat Protection

Windows Defender Virus & Threat Protection: Windows Defender does not run scans or allow me to update settings https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-virus-threat-protection/cada3eda-6c30-472b-a292-40efa4fb820e
  5. Windows security Virus & threat protection.

Windows security Virus & threat protection.: Windows security Virus & threat protection tells me that "Your Virus & threat protection is managed by your organization" Something is wrong since I don't have an organization. Please help...
  6. Windows Security Virus and threat protection

Windows Security Virus and threat protection: Something's wrong with the windows security scanners. Both the quick and full scan is not fully working properly. They only scan up to 49 files not complete the whole job they were designed to do. Once it reaches 49 the notification says the scan is complete. I need to know...
  7. Windows Security Virus and threat protection

Windows Security Virus and threat protection: Something's wrong with the windows security scanners. Both the quick and full scan is not fully working properly. They only scan up to 49 files not complete the whole job they were designed to do. Once it reaches 49 the notification says the scan is complete. I need to know...
  8. security - virus & threat protection

security - virus & threat protection: My computer is showing virus & threat protection is managed by my organization. We are a small office and each computer should only have Windows Defender running. We also had Malwarebytes. I deleted Malwarebytes but now I cannot run Defender. I don't see any other...
  9. Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection

Windows Defender Virus and Threat Protection: Ransom ware protection says "Setup One Drive" I enter my email and it says your one drive is already synced for that address. Yet Defender still says you need to set up Onedrive for ransomware protection. We have been issued with a ransomware threat from and unknown...
  10. Windows Defender Security - Virus & Threat Protection Problem

Windows Defender Security - Virus & Threat Protection Problem: Hi Microsoft service, I need your help to fix my computer that I had struggle to find why Virus & Threat Protection is not working. I was updated Windows 10 Update. There are some changes to add new feature. Need your help to fix my computer. Regards, Spring...