Windows 10: virus protection

Discus and support virus protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have mcaffee virus protection at the moment but its about to run out, should I keep my windows defender on or shut it off til mcaffee expires... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KimmyMello, Feb 23, 2020.

1. virus protection

I have mcaffee virus protection at the moment but its about to run out, should I keep my windows defender on or shut it off til mcaffee expires

:)

KimmyMello, Feb 23, 2020
  2. 7MM
    7mm Win User

Virus Protection

I'd Suggest You Better Skip The Idea of Using Those Security Suites. Better Use Some Free To Use Yet HIghly Rated For VIrus Protection Engines. Here's What I Suggest Top Three...

1. Avira AntiVir Personal Classic Edition
    2. Avast! Home Edition
    3. AVG Free

Avira Is Found To Trigger Less False Alarms Than Anyother AV (Even Paid Don't Have That Kind'a Accuracy), & Is Much Better Than some of The Paid Ones. Next Is Avast!, For It's Individual Scanner Protection & It's Unique VRDB (Virus Recovery Database) Feature.

If You're Looking For Firewall Protection Then Again, The Free Stuff Come To The Rescue.

1. ZoneAlarm Free
    2. Comodo Firewall Pro.
    3. PC Tools Firewall

We All Know How Good ZA Firewall Can Be..! Comodo Has Passed All The Leak Test That Can Be Serious For Your System Security. PC Tools Is Not New To The Scene Here, Still Has Very Good Firewall With Less Questions Asked, Recomended For NewBie.

3. Nonstop alerts about virus protection

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the operating system with the security notification on your device. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Have you installed any third-party anti-virus software on your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What is the complete error code/ error message of this issue?
    • When exactly you get this error pop-up?

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: If you have installed any third-party anti-virus software, I suggest you to disable it and check if it issue persists.

NOTE: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software,
    you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

If the issue still persists, I suggest you to uninstall the third-party anti-virus software.

Step 2: I suggest you to run Windows Defender on your device and check if it helps.

Windows Defender is malware protection that is included with and built into Windows 10. This software helps identify and remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. So, you do not need to install any third party antivirus applications.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/getstarted-protect-your-pc

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 23, 2020
  4. virus protection

Cannot turn on Windows Defender virus protection

I had the same sort of symptoms. In the Windows Security Center, under Virus and threat protection, it said "Your virus & threat protection is managed by your organization."

virus protection wm5Jc.png

I note you mentioned the Registry Keys under HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows Defender. Nice spotting, but it seems like there is another key that is causing the problem for some users.

Steps to a solution:

1. Press the Windows key and type "regedit"
    2. On the regedit icon that appears, right-click and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Navigate to the folder located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender (You can paste this into the address box at the top of the window, or navigate manually using the side directory structure)
    4. In this folder, there are probably two keys. Right-click and Delete the DisableAntiSpyware key.
    5. Exit regedit, and return to the Windows Defender settings screen (refresh it if necessary). Windows Defender should have the scan options available and working.

Solution adapted from here, with a much more detailed solution here.

MechtEngineer, Feb 23, 2020
Thema:

virus protection

1. virus protection - Similar Threads - virus protection

2. virus & threat protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    virus & threat protection: My ''virus & threat protection page not available' is faulty. unusable. How to fix this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-threat-protection/f334f0aa-c46b-408b-93b9-62e1eb77bf73
  3. virus & threat protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    virus & threat protection: My ''virus & threat protection page not available' is faulty. unusable. How to fix this error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-threat-protection/f334f0aa-c46b-408b-93b9-62e1eb77bf73
  4. Virus and threat protection not showing, security health file missing , windows security...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus and threat protection not showing, security health file missing , windows security...: Virus and threat protection not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-and-threat-protection-not-showing-security/c8f82056-bf1c-4504-85f8-a326b350885b
  5. Virus and threat protection not showing, security health file missing , windows security...

Virus and threat protection not showing, security health file missing , windows security...: Virus and threat protection not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-and-threat-protection-not-showing-security/c8f82056-bf1c-4504-85f8-a326b350885b
  6. Virus and Threat Protection "Limited access by IT Admin" WINDOWS 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus and Threat Protection "Limited access by IT Admin" WINDOWS 11: Im using microsoft surface pro 7+, no school email and no 3rd party antivirus. How can I enable windows security updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-and-threat-protection-limited-access-by-it/2685c4af-67f2-4c85-bd20-ae57b9adc181
  7. Virus and Threat Protection "Limited access by IT Admin" WINDOWS 11

Virus and Threat Protection "Limited access by IT Admin" WINDOWS 11: Im using microsoft surface pro 7+, no school email and no 3rd party antivirus. How can I enable windows security updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-and-threat-protection-limited-access-by-it/2685c4af-67f2-4c85-bd20-ae57b9adc181
  8. Can Access To Virus & Threat Protection In Windows Security.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can Access To Virus & Threat Protection In Windows Security.: After I reset my computer and signed in with my Microsoft Account, I can no longer access Virus & Threat Protection in Windows Security. It always allows " Your IT Administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried access is not available ". My...
  9. Can Access To Virus & Threat Protection In Windows Security.

Can Access To Virus & Threat Protection In Windows Security.: After I reset my computer and signed in with my Microsoft Account, I can no longer access Virus & Threat Protection in Windows Security. It always allows " Your IT Administrator has limited access to some areas of this app, and the item you tried access is not available ". My...
  10. Hey in my Windows 11 Home Edition my virus and threat protection is missing it shows error...

Hey in my Windows 11 Home Edition my virus and threat protection is missing it shows error...: it shows error that contact at IT helpdesk and page not found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-in-my-windows-11-home-edition-my-virus-and/1ef46ed0-7a31-4d9e-952f-a23e4e8aa588