Windows 10: Virus protection

Discus and support Virus protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi. I'm switching from a Mac. what sort of virus protection do you recommend? thanks!!! 93750 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JonnyVermont, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Virus protection

Hi. I'm switching from a Mac. what sort of virus protection do you recommend?

thanks!!!

:)

JonnyVermont, Sep 18, 2017
  2. [ Pete ] Win User

virus protection

I just wanted to clarify this point. It's impossible for Windows Phone 8 to get a virus through these methods. Windows Phone has been engineered so that code can only execute if:-

a) The app came from the Windows Phone Store

b) The app/functionality was downloaded as a Windows Phone update.

Both sources are guaranteed virus free.

The only real risk is from "phishing" attacks where a website can be crafted to look like an official web page in order to steal your login/password or financial details.

[ Pete ], Sep 18, 2017
  3. JMumma Win User
    Virus protection or not?

Thank you! Your response makes me feel much better about the phone. And since I didn't have many apps installed and the techs at the store checked to see if something was running that shouldn't be or wasn't necessary, I'm going with defective. Have
    had the new phone for a few days now, and the battery life is WAY better than the old phone ever was, even at day 1...

JMumma, Sep 18, 2017
  4. ICIT2LOL Win User

Virus protection

Hello Jonny mate depends on what level of protection you need personally I use a paid for total Internet security suite rather than just an AV.

There plenty of free ones and frankly I am surprised you haven' been swamped with answers by now.

For some free ones you can look through this http://www.techsupportalert.com/cont...list-world.htm There are a few in the real time section I wouldn't touch with a stick and I think out of all of them I would choose Kaspersky, Bitdefender, MSE, Sophos, Avira the others well I have tried a lot of them and frankly a much of a muchness.The ones I definitely would not have are McAfee, AVG Baidu and Comodo the latter because t used to be a real nagger.

ICIT2LOL, Sep 18, 2017
  5. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yes well I see Tairiku has suggested Kaspersky and to be honest I have used the paid version for nearly seven years now and I find it is very effective keeping in mind that no AV is infallible and you should also use the smaller add ons like Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and ADW Cleaner (at times) to mop up the trashy stuff and the ones that the main AV does occasionally miss.

If cost is important my Kaspersky costs me about $0.075 per day to have on board but having said that the free version has most of the features of the paid for version and they are some things you can do without to be honest.

Just remember that the best AV is you really and how careful you are using the net. *Wink

ICIT2LOL, Sep 18, 2017
  6. swarfega Win User
    If' you're willing to pay and coming from a Mac I assume you are, you could consider Bitdefender Antivirus Plus. It's on sale at the moment (at least here in the UK) with £20 off.

Of course there are free alternatives as mentioned above and many here use Windows Defender with Malwarebytes.

swarfega, Sep 18, 2017
  7. Allison Win User

Virus protection

I use Norton Security and a heavy dose of common sense when it comes to what I do online- get one that works right for your purposes although I'd recommend a paid suite- you can get an OEM copy of many of them quite cheaply- my own does the job in the background and despite its prior negative rep, it hasn't been a resource hog for a long time and is easy enough to manage.

Allison, Sep 20, 2017
  8. ICIT2LOL Win User
    Yes I guess this has been a subject that has been on the forums since I joined up may years ago and it always results in this ongoing difference of opinion. As Allison and I habementiond here there is no absolute correct one to use and if there were it would have to be really smart to keep the user from making mistakes.

Plus in view that I think it is around 50,000 new malwares each and every day how is it possible for any AV service keep up with and test malware at that rate of release it simply isn't going to and cannot happen because for one thing you need to know that is has been released and secondly work on a block for it this would have to happen in the blink of an eye and as I said just is not going to be possible.

There is only one good AV and that is the operator because carelessness or accidents are not fully appreciated by a great number of users on the net.

ICIT2LOL, Sep 21, 2017
  9. Thank you all for your advice. Lots to think about!

JonnyVermont, Sep 21, 2017
  10. CountMike New Member
    Windows Defender is what I'm using last couple of years and it's just as good as any payed one. I augment it with Malwerebytes and AdWcleaner but I would use them with any other AV too as none of them do same thing.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Virus protection

1. Virus protection - Similar Threads - Virus protection

2. I cant run exe files and my virus threat protection says it needs to be restarted but it wont

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant run exe files and my virus threat protection says it needs to be restarted but it wont: I cant open this exe file even though I can run other exe files.And my threat protection says that it needs to be restarted but I cant, it just keeps loading.A friend told me this had to do something with a registry error or something like that but they aren't sure either....
  3. I cant run exe files and my virus threat protection says it needs to be restarted but it wont

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant run exe files and my virus threat protection says it needs to be restarted but it wont: I cant open this exe file even though I can run other exe files.And my threat protection says that it needs to be restarted but I cant, it just keeps loading.A friend told me this had to do something with a registry error or something like that but they aren't sure either....
  4. how to enable virus and threat protection when it is blocked by administration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to enable virus and threat protection when it is blocked by administration: how to enable virus and threat protection when it is blocked bu administration https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-virus-and-threat-protection-when-it/cb35c929-0a09-4cf5-9a56-0cb312853c39
  5. how to enable virus and threat protection when it is blocked by administration

how to enable virus and threat protection when it is blocked by administration: how to enable virus and threat protection when it is blocked bu administration https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-virus-and-threat-protection-when-it/cb35c929-0a09-4cf5-9a56-0cb312853c39
  6. Virus and threat protection update needed but states engine unavailable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus and threat protection update needed but states engine unavailable: How do I update ‘virus and threat protection’ when engine is unavailable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-and-threat-protection-update-needed-but/535d6aa6-3fbf-42f7-91ab-9aedf471a6a7
  7. Virus and threat protection update needed but states engine unavailable

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virus and threat protection update needed but states engine unavailable: How do I update ‘virus and threat protection’ when engine is unavailable https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-and-threat-protection-update-needed-but/535d6aa6-3fbf-42f7-91ab-9aedf471a6a7
  8. Virus and threat protection update needed but states engine unavailable

9. Virus and threat protection won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus and threat protection won't open: when i try opening virus and threat protection it says i need IT support but my pc is personal its not a company pc how to i solwe his problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-and-threat-protection-wont-open/57b7f0af-ce8f-415a-8ac6-d0e348e3396a
  10. Virus and threat protection won't open

Virus and threat protection won't open: when i try opening virus and threat protection it says i need IT support but my pc is personal its not a company pc how to i solwe his problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-and-threat-protection-wont-open/57b7f0af-ce8f-415a-8ac6-d0e348e3396a