Windows 10: virus questions

Discus and support virus questions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; can a virus steal files on your hard drive? i hear about key loggers and ransomwear that locks down an OS, but never heard of an attacker actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by smoothnobody, Nov 20, 2020 at 8:22 AM.

1. virus questions

can a virus steal files on your hard drive? i hear about key loggers and ransomwear that locks down an OS, but never heard of an attacker actually taking files from a system.

if you have 2 drives in your system, and 1 of them gets infected, will the infected OS be able to steal files on the other drive?

do you guys know of a way to make a drive not functional? maybe a setting in the bios that can disable it? i know i can make the second drive not bootable, but you still see that drive when booting the other drive.

:)

smoothnobody, Nov 20, 2020 at 8:22 AM

2. Clean the Virus

Hi,

Virus infection usually happens on a computer when it is exposed to an infected website or removable devices. For us to help you clean the malware on your device, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build and version of Windows are you using?
    • Did you encounter any error messages related to having a virus infection on your device?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running any available antivirus software on your PC. It would be very helpful to us if you could also provide the result of the antivirus scan process.

Looking forward to your response.

3. virus questions

Thema:

virus questions

1. virus questions - Similar Threads - virus questions

2. virus questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    virus questions: can a virus steal files on your hard drive? i hear about key loggers and ransomwear that locks down an OS, but never heard of an attacker actually taking files from a system. if you have 2 drives in your system, and 1 of them gets infected, will the infected OS be able to...
  3. Windows defender virus definitions update question

Windows defender virus definitions update question: I've been using Avast antivirus for a year, and I want to remove it and use Windows Defender, but I'm worried that my Windows Defender won't update its virus definitions because there's an Avast antivirus running. So before I am removing my previous AV and use WD, I want to...
  4. Follow up to my virus scan question

Follow up to my virus scan question: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/very-upsetting-virus-warning/63109a5b-55d7-41a2-b72c-14b290d10b95?messageId=fe2281dd-048c-4cdb-a5ec-6c21d4e7ded4 For some strange reason, I am not able to post my final question on...
  5. Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected?

Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected?: Hi all, Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I know people are always inventing new spyware/viruses so I just wanted to check if it was possible for an .MP4 file to be infected with a virus? I've always thought .MP4 files and other video formats were 100% safe, but is...
  6. Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected?

in Windows 10 Support
    Important Question About Spyware/Virus: Can .MP4 Files Be Infected?: Hi all, Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I know people are always inventing new spyware/viruses so I just wanted to check if it was possible for an .MP4 file to be infected with a virus? I've always thought .MP4 files and other video formats were 100% safe, but is...
  7. Question about virus protection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about virus protection: I have not used a laptop in over 5 years and am figuring out my Lenovo Flex 15. My free McAfee expired. My husband says I don't need virus protection (he is a Mac guy) I can't believe that is right. Back in the day I used free virus protection software. Any advice of your...
  8. I got a question, I got an virus but...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I got a question, I got an virus but...: I got a virus because I accidentally forgot to turn on virus defender. Now I was able to remove the virus, but cmd still opens at the beginning when I am entering my screen after looking in. But nothing is happing, but every program starts with administration rights no matter...
  9. Serious Facebook Messenger virus/hack question

Serious Facebook Messenger virus/hack question: Hi, This is an important question... If you do now know the answer who might I contact about this? The situation: There was a Facebook messenger video that I received from 1 friend then forwarded to approx. 20+ other friends some individually some in groups. One of my...
  10. Password Manager and Virus Software Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password Manager and Virus Software Question: For the last year I have been using Sticky Password Premium as my password manager. I have also been using Webroot anti-virus software which I have found very efficient. I now discover that I can also use my Webroot virus software as a password manager and I am rather...