Windows 10: Virus scan bug when file has multiple periods in filename can DOS virus scanner apparently.

Discus and support Virus scan bug when file has multiple periods in filename can DOS virus scanner apparently. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Latest update appears to have caused Defender to crash whenever scanning a file with multiple period characters in them. This appears to be... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PeriodPusher, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Virus scan bug when file has multiple periods in filename can DOS virus scanner apparently.

Latest update appears to have caused Defender to crash whenever scanning a file with multiple period characters in them.

This appears to be exploitable as a denial of service attack on the scanner. But not sure of impact of service falling over on this.

To reproduce create a file with an extra period in the name For example "test..xml" and provoke a defender scan.

Not sure if this is only format that causes service crash.

To recover from this issue.

Remove extra period character from file names.

Exclude folders with files with this naming convention from being scanned. Cannot exclude exact files as selecting them crashes service

Remember to restart service "WinDefend" Display name "Windows Defender Antivirus Service".

:)

PeriodPusher, Apr 16, 2020

2. Gmail has a virus scanner

Gmail has finally got a virus scanner. It will scan incoming mail and attachments you are trying to send. If the virus scanner can not clean the file it will not let you donwload the file or send the attachment. This also will wonder if Google is going to release a free desktop virus scanner.

Source: MSFN
    Source: Tweakers.net (German)

live2game2003, Apr 16, 2020
  3. Virus - Please solve me how to deal with this virus

Simple. Virus scanners and virus programs are reactive, not proactive. This means the virus will come out infect computers, unfortunately yours, and the the virus scanners will be updated to handle the new threat. It is the nature of the game and applies to all virus scanners.

Fine a Anti-virus program that is updated frequently, does active scans of recently used files, and does some kind of Spyware block (separate program if needed). Its the best you can do.

I recommend AVG, Nod32 is good, and Clam Windows edition. I also agree with Mussels. Restart system in safe mode, run a full system scan using Ccleaner, then your anti-virus program, then your anti-spyware program. Or format away.

TheLaughingMan, Apr 16, 2020
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Virus scan bug when file has multiple periods in filename can DOS virus scanner apparently.

Virus Scan ONLY tool?

I was using Malwarebytes to run scans on things I downloaded to make sure they're clean before I run them... but now Malwarebytes wants to run constantly and wants to do virus scans all the time, even though I told it not to (I'll scan a single file then it starts another threat scan on its own).

Are there any good tools that do virus scanning only?

Thema:

Virus scan bug when file has multiple periods in filename can DOS virus scanner apparently.

1. Virus scan bug when file has multiple periods in filename can DOS virus scanner apparently. - Similar Threads - Virus scan bug

2. Virus Scan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virus Scan: Hi all,When I select Virus Scan in Windows 11, be it quick scan or custom scan, there is no response to my request. It does nothing. Any advice anyone? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-scan/f310d87c-b91e-498c-9859-ffbfdd7e02c9
  3. Virus Scan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virus Scan: Hi all,When I select Virus Scan in Windows 11, be it quick scan or custom scan, there is no response to my request. It does nothing. Any advice anyone? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-scan/f310d87c-b91e-498c-9859-ffbfdd7e02c9
  4. virus scanner

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    virus scanner: It told me to click to do a quick scan and I did it it loads and loads and it will not stop any thing I can do to make it stop loading or finish what its doing way faster. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/virus-scanner/fcb6ebca-cfd1-49d5-9785-fabdef7fe950
  5. Virus Scan

Virus Scan: I did a virus scan, and it detected a registry key and value: HKLM/SOFTWARE/WOW6432NODE/DRSPU and also CLIENTID at the end.It detected it as a PUP.Is it really a threat?Please let me know ASAP.Virus Scan: Malwarebytes Premium Trial...
  6. Virus scanner detects a virus, says I will be able to see it when scan is done, when scan...

Virus scanner detects a virus, says I will be able to see it when scan is done, when scan...: Hi, My windows defender recently displayed this message: "Preliminary scan results show that malicious or potentially unwanted software might exist on your system. You can review detected items when the scan has completed.! Only thing is, when the scan completes there is...
  7. DOS/Stoned_Angelina virus

DOS/Stoned_Angelina virus: Tried removing virus from affected item boot:\Device\Harddisk2\DR27\MBR. Got feedback that Remediation incomplete. What further action is needed? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/dosstonedangelina-virus/25b27da9-5594-41e1-9040-3125007c5217
  8. virus scan

virus scan: My stream keeps informing me of a needed virus scan. i do one and it never stops running. Everything seems fine but the quick scan is still going at it hours later. Can't find anything on it....
  9. Virus or bug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virus or bug: Hi i have a virus and my computer is not working or working but very very slower what is happening? What should i do? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virus-or-bug/da60f72f-cd73-41c4-8222-ae8b14798acf
  10. scanning for viruses

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    scanning for viruses: Could you tell me how to use Windows Defender? I usually open the folders, then close them before starting the scanning. Will the scanning look through all the folders and programs if I don’t open these folders?...