Windows 10: Virus Trojan installed with Windows 10 Update - Svchost.exe which used CPU was a Coin Miner

Discus and support Virus Trojan installed with Windows 10 Update - Svchost.exe which used CPU was a Coin Miner in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Summary: Windows Update slowed down my pc with Windows 10 Update, a virus got installed Task Manager disabled by virus/trojan Svchost.exe taking up... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MartyL7, Feb 15, 2020.

1. MartyL7 Win User

Virus Trojan installed with Windows 10 Update - Svchost.exe which used CPU was a Coin Miner

Summary:

• Windows Update slowed down my pc
    • with Windows 10 Update, a virus got installed
    • Task Manager disabled by virus/trojan
    • Svchost.exe taking up CPU ~80%
    • Svchost.exe was a virus Bitcoin Miner
    • the virus/trojan was downloaded with the Windows Update probably thanks to delivery optimization

Notes:

• I also use NAS from Synology
    • I use 4 Windows 10 computers at home all had turned on Windows Delivery Optimization, all with an active admin account:
      - my desktop PC - referred in the article Windows 10, used only in private network - had the virus, was updated
      - my laptop Windows 10, used only in private network and public networks - checked, no virus, was not updated
      - parents desktop PC Windows 10, used only in private network - checked, no virus, was not updated
      - parents laptop Windows 10, used only in private network and public networks - not active for a week I don't have access to it
    • I haven't downloaded anything from unreliable sources for half a year it wasn't any installation file

Long story long:I've been playing FIFA the whole month. This Thursday I turned off PC and a Windows 10 Update KB4532693

downloaded. The next day when I turned PC back on one more update got downloaded and installed - Security Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems KB4524244.

After the update, PC felt slow but I wanted to play FIFA yes, again Virus Trojan installed with Windows 10 Update - Svchost.exe which used CPU was a Coin Miner :D. It was unplayable - it was laggy. I don't have the newest PC but Fifa and other games never lagged. So, I wanted to see what's wrong and looked in the Task Manager. An error appeared - Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator". That was strange because I have the only account on this PC and that is an admin account.

I tried troubleshooting recommended on Microsoft Forum:

Go to: "User Configuration" -> "Administrative Templates" -> "System" -> "Ctrl+Alt+Del Options" - Verify that "Remove Task Manager" option set to "Disable" or "Not Configured" from "Not Configured" I set it to "Disable" and the task manager was working again!

Here I found an unnamed task taking up ~80% of CPU. In this task properties, I found that it was called "Svchost.exe." On forums, I've read that it sometimes happens after/before the Windows Update - the Svchost.exe using too much CPU because of some updates running in the background. I went to sleep, hoping that tomorrow will be released some "patch that would fix this."

An update was released. Once again I had to troubleshoot the Task Manager but the mysterious Svchost.exe was still taking up CPU. I killed the task with the expectation that some of my Windows functions will crash. But nothing happened. I also found the location of this Svchost.exe task. It was in Windows Temp Files in a hidden folder called "nfyc577A.tmp". I deleted the nfyc577A.tmp and restarted the PC. It was back there. Again taking up CPU.

At this moment I started thinking that this Svchost.exe might not be a connected to Windows programs at all... And what are the only two apps eating up the whole CPU? Anything from Adobe and Coin mining programs. I downloaded Malwarebytes antivirus. And guess what? I was right! What appeared to be Svchost.exe was a BitcoinMiner. I used the recommended settings of Malwarebytes and deleted it. I will attach the Malwarebytes report later.

But... how the hell the virus got into my PC. The last time I downloaded something from relatively "unreliable" sources was a half a year ago and I had Windows updated several times since then. Oh, I had the delivery optimization turned on.

My friend later helped me analyze this report.

From the Malwarebytes log full report here - link to google drive folder with txt file, no need to download we learned that:

Process: 1

RiskWare.BitCoinMiner,

- the virus/trojan had admin right
    - was hiding in temp folders
    - was mining
    - altered settings of Firewall
    - disabled the TaskManager

We assume that:
    - the virus/trojan was downloaded with the Windows Update thanks to delivery optimization
    - updated contained a VBE Script which has downloaded and installed the virus

Final notes:

I hope that this post will help anyone with the same problem I had, and I hope it will help secure the Windows 10.I really don't know how the virus got on my PC, or if it came from another PC via the home network - we can only assume. Also, note that I'm not a software engineer

:)

MartyL7, Feb 15, 2020

2. Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 and Trojan JS Coin Miner

This update has not installed and I have been trying for 2 weeks. I also have issues with Trojan JS Coin Miner which seems only to attack when I try to open certain apps. Does anyone know if these are related? Windows Defender and Windows Security haven't
    got rid of it. Should I uninstall and install these 2 apps?

VivianSmith1, Feb 15, 2020
  3. Le Boule Win User
    Svchost virus?

Did your antivirus provider identify the malware? If so, did you seek their advice?

You may want to send a copy of the file to VirusTotal for analysis. VirusTotal

Recommend you scan with the Emsisoft Emergency Kit (a free program): How to find and clean malware infections with Emsisoft Emergency Kit | Emsisoft | Security Blog If
    necessary boot into Safe Mode/Safe Mode with Networking to download and run the scanner or use another computer, put the EEK file on a flash drive and insert the flash drive in the infected computer...you can run the scanner from the flash drive. Other scanners
    (some of which may be run in Safe Mode or from a flash drive) that may help with this issue are listed in List
    of Malware Removal Tools

OR

IF this is what you are seeing, suggest you follow ALL of the steps (until the issue is resolved) in
    this free removal guide How To Remove SvcHost.exe Malware (Virus Removal Guide)

But if you have this malware issue sometimes it will be necessary to reset your computer or do a clean install of the OS.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Clean Install Windows 10

Regards…

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/01/27/top-10-ways-pups-sneak-onto-your-computer-and-how-to-avoid-them/

Le Boule, Feb 15, 2020
  4. Virus Trojan installed with Windows 10 Update - Svchost.exe which used CPU was a Coin Miner

Monero XMR CPU miner

It's a trojan which you're having there.

The removal guide (Remove the CPU.exe Monero Miner) I linked explains in detail about this
    trojan. The removal guide consists of various/multiple steps.

Please try to concentrate and read the self-help guide and follow it step-by-step.

In case, that you don't feel comfortable doing all that alone, I - again - suggest to ask for free expert help at

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

or

you can ask for perhaps not so free Microsoft help here: http://answerdesk.microsoftstore.com

or

you might want to do a clean install which is described in this wiki:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

Jsssssssss, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

Virus Trojan installed with Windows 10 Update - Svchost.exe which used CPU was a Coin Miner

1. Virus Trojan installed with Windows 10 Update - Svchost.exe which used CPU was a Coin Miner - Similar Threads - Virus Trojan installed

2. I think I found an inactivated Trojan Coin Miner Malware. Help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I think I found an inactivated Trojan Coin Miner Malware. Help: Hello, like the title states, I think I have found a Trojan Coin Miner. I was scrolling through my system files and opened Program Files x86 and found 2 files of apps I NEVER downloaded/installed. They are called Alucsoft and ATTRACTIONjhoApplication. What are these files and...
  3. I think I found an inactivated Trojan Coin Miner Malware. Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think I found an inactivated Trojan Coin Miner Malware. Help: Hello, like the title states, I think I have found a Trojan Coin Miner. I was scrolling through my system files and opened Program Files x86 and found 2 files of apps I NEVER downloaded/installed. They are called Alucsoft and ATTRACTIONjhoApplication. What are these files and...
  4. I think I found an inactivated Trojan Coin Miner Malware. Help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Miner virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Miner virus: Hi, i have Miner virus that uses 100% cpu and when i open task manager it drops to 0% and how i know its at 100%, i use WIN+G and see that i have 100% on the Performance tab.I have tried some virus scanners/protection but none of them seemed to work.Are there anyone that know...
  6. Did windows defend actually remove a coin miner or?

Did windows defend actually remove a coin miner or?: Well luckily i just woke up and checked windows defender and say that there was no actions required at all!!!! when i checked the ''This app is blocked'' and threat ''serious'' is all gone i don't see it no more since im not good with this can someone please tell me if im...
  7. How to remove Wise XMRig CPU Miner Trojan : sysupdate.exe xmrig cpu miner

How to remove Wise XMRig CPU Miner Trojan : sysupdate.exe xmrig cpu miner: We are using Azure VM and we are identified one service called XMRig taking more CPU process time Os Details : Microsoft Server 2012 R2 Edition SQL Server Installed When we open the details of the XMRig process, it shows the sysupdate.exe process running on my...
  8. Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 and Trojan JS Coin Miner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 and Trojan JS Coin Miner: This update has not installed and I have been trying for 2 weeks. I also have issues with Trojan JS Coin Miner which seems only to attack when I try to open certain apps. Does anyone know if these are related? Windows Defender and Windows Security haven't got rid of it....
  9. Svchost virus?

Svchost virus?: Hi i just discovered the svchost trojan and have a few questions is it a rootkit virus and will completely wiping my hard drive destroy it....
  10. Windows 10 svchost virus

Windows 10 svchost virus: Hi. I have recently started having CPU problems. Apparently, it's because of a trojan virus called svchost.exe. Anytime I use an internet browser (any) I get a message from my web protection that it's blocking the virus but my CPU still gets overloaded. I've tried every...