Windows 10: Viruses and Used Hard Drives

Discus and support Viruses and Used Hard Drives in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Is it possible for a malware/virus/whatever bad software to be permanently part of a hard drive even after a full format/full erasure, or does the... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BrokenDaily, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Viruses and Used Hard Drives

Is it possible for a malware/virus/whatever bad software to be permanently part of a hard drive even after a full format/full erasure, or does the erasing/formatting process completely wipe any trace of the virus on the hard drive?

my father's computer suffered a short, and he lost his C: drive; luckily, he made a full backup of all documents/files he deemed important a day before it happened, and on-top of a new display monitor (left old one on too long, thing's got screen burn), I figured getting him a new Hard Drive (used, from ebay) would help him too. I just worry about the possibility of it, and would like to know if a full format/full erasure would help

:)

BrokenDaily, Jul 24, 2018

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jul 24, 2018
  3. Mathragh Win User
    Overclock your hard drive!!!

Wut =D

what is that supposed to accomplish?

Mathragh, Jul 24, 2018
  4. Viruses and Used Hard Drives

hard drive problem

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

• What error message do you receive when you try to access it?
    • Did you make any changes to the hard drive before this issue?
    • Is the Hard drive BitLocker enabled?
    Run
    Check Disk and check if it helps.

I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.
    [*]
    Also, try to run Microsoft Safety Scanner. It helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with your existing antivirus software.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

[*]

[*]
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jul 24, 2018
Thema:

Viruses and Used Hard Drives

1. Viruses and Used Hard Drives - Similar Threads - Viruses Used Hard

2. C drive almost full but hard drive hardly used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C drive almost full but hard drive hardly used: My C drive is almost full 94GB used of 104GB. I keep having problems updating windows. Practically all data is stored in the cloud, so I have nothing to move.The hard disk is 1 TB., so there is plenty of space. How do I access this space? I don't have any data to speak of to...
  3. "critical_process_died", virus or hard drive issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "critical_process_died", virus or hard drive issue?: Hey there! Can someone please help me out? Whenever I don't use my laptop for more than 2 days, then when I boot up my laptop, it would be *very* slow, then after a minute or two, it would freeze then the blue screen of death appears. the code error is critical_process_died...
  4. "critical_process_died", virus or hard drive issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "critical_process_died", virus or hard drive issue?: Hey there! Can someone please help me out? Whenever I don't use my laptop for more than 2 days, then when I boot up my laptop, it would be *very* slow, then after a minute or two, it would freeze then the blue screen of death appears. the code error is critical_process_died...
  5. "critical_process_died", virus or hard drive issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. use hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    use hard drive: Can I have a tip about this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-hard-drive/4f08d628-fcab-48df-bb26-6d95ba6925b2
  7. use hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    use hard drive: Can I have a tip about this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/use-hard-drive/4f08d628-fcab-48df-bb26-6d95ba6925b2
  8. Dead Hard Drive. Is it a Virus?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dead Hard Drive. Is it a Virus?: I was having trouble with my laptop which I could not sort out. I decided to take out my hard drive and check it on another laptop using a sata/usb lead. I could not read the drive as it asked me if I wanted to format it. Where has my data gone and is the drive dead and could...
  9. using old hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    using old hard drives: I have two 500 gb ssd's on my old pc that I used for file storage and games. Can I take those out of my old pc and hook them up in my new pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/using-old-hard-drives/2db83d2f-0c2c-4d23-80e5-623fbc526676"
  10. trojan virus on external hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    trojan virus on external hard drive: Scanned EXTERNAL hd AND FOUND TROJAN VIRUS. WINDOWS BLOCKED IT BUT DID NOT REMOVE IT. HOW DO I ELIMINATE IT? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trojan-virus-on-external-hard-drive/00103d1e-d86d-4b3d-afb8-a6c242aa03ac"