Windows 10: Viruses in an old WIM file

Discus and support Viruses in an old WIM file in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi Windows Defender (latest Windows 10 version) is reporting several viruses contained in an old WIM file produced under Windows 7 or 8. However, it... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MalcolmWilcock, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Viruses in an old WIM file

Hi

Windows Defender (latest Windows 10 version) is reporting several viruses contained in an old WIM file produced under Windows 7 or 8. However, it just "hangs" when trying to solve the problem. I have tried to delete the file, cut and paste it to a memory stick, rename it, change its properties and followed the on-line help using DISM - all to no avail. Can anyone help in providing a method to delete this file? Thanks.

:)

MalcolmWilcock, Nov 10, 2019
  2. johnspack Win User

Compacting a wim file?

Sorry, no idea where to put this. I just recently learned how to use dism. I use it to slipstream all hotfixes and ie10 ect into an AIO install disc. The problem is, it creates a huge install.wim after 8 index mounts and slipstreams. Considering all 8 images use the same darn wim and files, don't know why it has to increase the wim size by 1gig. Either I need to figure out how to use the same wim.install file for all indexes, or I need to compact the wim file which is now 4gbs with ie10 and all updates to April. Any way to do either?

johnspack, Nov 10, 2019
  3. johnspack Win User
    Compacting a wim file?

Actually it turns out the answer is the dism that comes with Win8. Using the new Export-Image command, and a simple batch file, was able to compress my AIO wim by several hundred mbs.

johnspack, Nov 10, 2019
  4. Viruses in an old WIM file

WIM FILES

AFTER BACKING UP MY FILES HOW DO YOU OPEN UP WIM FILES

BrigetteShane, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

Viruses in an old WIM file

1. Viruses in an old WIM file - Similar Threads - Viruses old WIM

2. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  3. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  4. Recover from WIM files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover from WIM files.: I ran a backup via USB with windows 11 backup on 1/20/2024 in plans that if I ever needed a backup, I would have it. So slightly fast forward to now, I need the backup and I can't select it to restore. I have tried several different options via recovery including recover from...
  5. Recover from WIM files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover from WIM files.: I ran a backup via USB with windows 11 backup on 1/20/2024 in plans that if I ever needed a backup, I would have it. So slightly fast forward to now, I need the backup and I can't select it to restore. I have tried several different options via recovery including recover from...
  6. performance on generating a wim file

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    performance on generating a wim file: I have a WinPE bootable USB drive. After booting from the usb, I use dism /capture-image /imagefile:E:\install.wim /capturedir*Biggrin:\ /ScratchDir:E:\Scratch /name:"AnyName" /compress:maximum /checkintegrity /verify /bootable to generate a wim file. I got an wim file that...
  7. Import Capture WIM file at the time of deployment

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Import Capture WIM file at the time of deployment: Hi All, I need help with MDT. I want to create a task sequence which will take custom WIM at the time of installation. As I have different computer models and I don't want to import all WIM into the operating systems folder. I will make a shared folder where all of WIM's will...
  8. Open in WIM files

Open in WIM files: I backed up the files to a potable disk drive on my bad computer. Now I want to view those file but they are WIM files. How can I view them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-in-wim-files/73872582-e4fe-4c76-9fb6-11924698ab83
  9. how to open wim files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to open wim files: i backed up my files, folders, pictures on a usb drive before it crashed. Purchased a new computer everything loaded, windows 10, now putting in the usb drive everthing is wim files, how do you open them...
  10. convert wim file to vdh

convert wim file to vdh: I have several custom wim files each containing bootable windows 7 images plus applications how do I convert these to a format to run as virtual PC's in VMware or Virtual box. There are many solutions out there (notably using a convert-windowsimage .ps1 in powershell) but...