Windows 10: Vista to 10 upgrade options

Discus and support Vista to 10 upgrade options in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to do a clean install of Win 10 on an older Toshiba laptop currently running Vista. The specs are fine. I believe Win 10 won't be a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TomStrong, Jun 12, 2015.

1. TomStrong Win User

Vista to 10 upgrade options

Hello, I would like to do a clean install of Win 10 on an older Toshiba laptop currently running Vista. The specs are fine. I believe Win 10 won't be a free upgrade for Vista so I'd like to know my best (and cheapest) option. Is it to buy a Win 7 upgrade (which seems to be ~£70) and then get Win 10 for free or buy Win 10 outright? Or something else. Thanks!

:)

TomStrong, Jun 12, 2015

2. Rotation Lock button is gone from Action Center

By the way, Acer seems not doing good on their products. This is my second one from Acer, I have a Predator 8 tablet and the same it has problem that need to be brought back to manufacture repair within one year. Lucky that was still warranty. To me that
    it is 100% chance product will fail. I would never touch any Acer product again!!!

upgrade vista to win7, Jun 12, 2015
  3. Rotation Lock button is gone from Action Center

I don't when it starts to happen since I am using my tab like a desktop most of the time. Couple weeks ago I started finding my Acer tab Switch SA5-271 cannot rotate the screen at all.

Trying to enable it from Action Center but the button is gone.

I also tried to look for it in the Display setting, the switch button is also gone under the Landscape Orientation.

I looked for it from "Notifications & actions" setting to try to add the button back to Action Center, the Rotation On/Off switch is not available.

So I started to find the latest update from Acer and Microsoft, it is now with everything up to date but it is still no helping. No auto screen rotation at all.

Does any have the same issue and know how to solve it?

Thanks,

Raymond

upgrade vista to win7, Jun 12, 2015
  4. rmonroe36 Win User

If you are in no hurry, I would wait to see how much Win10 will cost for comparison purposes. Who knows, perhaps Microsoft will offer you a deal you can't refuse.
    In the meantime, I would make an image of your Vista machine, download the 10130 ISO and install it to make sure it performs to your satisfaction.

rmonroe36, Jun 12, 2015
  5. labeeman Win User
  6. TomStrong Win User
    Thanks both for the replies. So best option seems $119 for Win 10 when it comes out (or just live with Vista!).

TomStrong, Jun 12, 2015
  7. fireberd Win User
    I "think" if you have the Pre release version installed, e.g. the current 10130 version, it qualifies for free upgrade.

As noted make a backup image of your current hard drive (all partitions) before installing the 101030 version.

fireberd, Jun 12, 2015
  8. DavidY Win User

I don't think Microsoft have confirmed that anywhere... but if you have a machine you could install 10 Preview on (bearing in mind it's a Preview and has bugs) then it might be a good position to be in if Microsoft were indeed generous to the Insiders.

As regards the original question, it's also worth checking prices for Windows 8 and/or 8.1, as they can sometimes be found cheaper than Windows 7, and either option would get you to 10 eventually.

It has been said that once Windows 10 is publicly available and you've got the free upgrade activated, you could clean install it later.

DavidY, Jun 12, 2015
  9. cognus Win User
    are you afraid of ebay? I do a lot of business on ebay, every which way. you can buy a WORKING pretty good PC with valid Windows 7 installed by a certified MS Refurbisher [vlk] for around $60, less if you take one that has issues ... what ebay dubs "Parts or Not-Working", which btw can include systems that simply have had the HDD removed - nothing else wrong. It is perfectly legit to redeploy that license.
    in fact, I SOLD a defunct gateway system that had a mobo failure for about 30 bucks for parts... perfectly good windows 7 coa/etc

cognus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Vista to 10 upgrade options - Similar Threads - Vista upgrade options

2. Windows 10 upgrade from Vista

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 upgrade from Vista: I have a Windows 10 upgrade that I purchased for my wife some time ago but she did not want to upgrade. Now she does. The upgrade is on a memory stick. Windows 10 says that it can not upgrade from Vista and my computer does not recognize the memory stick as a boot-able...
  3. Windows Vista upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista upgrade: Hi there. I purchased 6 PC's a while back via a business which is no longer running but I still have the PC's which were kept in storage up until recently. They are all running windows Vista for Business. The problem I have is I missed out on the free upgrade to windows 7...
  4. Windows Vista Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista Upgrade: I have an older desktop that came with Windows Vista. For the past few days, the computer turns on but Windows does not start. I have tried turning it on several times. Usually I get the "Windows Error Recovery" screen and then after a few seconds, the screen goes dark. Once...
  5. Windows Vista Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Vista Upgrade: I have an older desktop that came with Windows Vista. For the past few days, the computer turns on but Windows does not start. I have tried turning it on several times. Usually I get the "Windows Error Recovery" screen and then after a few seconds, the screen goes dark. Once...
  6. Windows Vista Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Upgrade Vista to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Vista to Windows 10: Hi, I checked the Community Board for an answer for the following question, but I didn't find one. I have an old laptop installed with Vista. I added additional ram and the computer cpu meets Windows 10 requirement. I also have Microsoft 365. I read that Microsoft 365 now...
  8. Upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrade Windows Vista to Windows 10: What is the best, easiest, and cheapest way to upgrade my Windows Vista PC to Windows 10 please? Is there anything specific I need to check before trying to do it? The PC meets the minimum RAM, disk space, and processor speed requirements but might I need to check...
  9. Upgrade from Vista to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Vista to Windows 10: I have a laptop that has Windows Vista and I'd like to upgrade it to Windows 10, can I do that? I already have Windows 10 on our second laptop and I have a subscription for Microsoft 365. Does this mean that I have access to Windows 10 to install on my other devices?...
  10. Vista upgrade to Windows10

in Windows 10 Support
    Vista upgrade to Windows10: Hey guys i have a friend with an old laptop running Vista what is the best way to upgrade it to W10 ?? Can i upgrade to W7 then on to W10 ? Or is there another way without buying W10 ? I checked to see if it would run W10 and it's processor and stuff will ! Any answers...