Windows 10: Vista upgrade to Windows10

Discus and support Vista upgrade to Windows10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys i have a friend with an old laptop running Vista what is the best way to upgrade it to W10 ?? Can i upgrade to W7 then on to W10 ? Or is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by flashh4, Nov 7, 2018.

1. flashh4 Win User

Vista upgrade to Windows10

Hey guys i have a friend with an old laptop running Vista what is the best way to upgrade it to W10 ??
    Can i upgrade to W7 then on to W10 ?
    Or is there another way without buying W10 ?
    I checked to see if it would run W10 and it's processor and stuff will !
    Any answers appreciated !

Thanks
    Chuck

:)

flashh4, Nov 7, 2018
  2. Karthicka_R Win User

Upgrade from Vista to Windows10, I get an error, that I need to boot from and setup from the usb.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things:

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    • From where have you downloaded the Windows 10 ISO?
    • Are you getting any error message?

As you have mentioned that you are trying to upgrade from Vista to Windows10, to install Windows 10 on your computer from Windows vista you can only perform clean installation using the Windows 10 installation media through Windows 10 ISO file. Upgrade is
    only available if you have installed Windows 7 or windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

So is suggest you to perform clean installation using Windows 10 ISO and you should have the full version product key for Windows vista to activate the Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Jimmy 2004 Win User
    Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Nov 7, 2018
  4. amit_choudhary9 Win User

Screen Resolution problem after upgrading to windows10

After upgrading my PC to windows10 from windows 7 vista, i am facing screen resolution issue. It is showing only 800*600 and 1074*864, which is making my windows10 experience bitter. Please suggest the solution.

amit_choudhary9, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Vista upgrade to Windows10 - Similar Threads - Vista upgrade Windows10

2. windows10 upgrade issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows10 upgrade issue: I downloaded windows10 to upgrade my windows7 ultimate 64bit pc, it installed but for the past 5 hours the welcome screen opens then goes off then comes on etc can anyone help...
  3. Surface Upgrade to Windows10 1809

Surface Upgrade to Windows10 1809: When Surface Upgrade to Windows10 1809 using Media Creative Tool, a problem happen [ATTACH] Moved from: Surface / Surface Pro (5th Generation) / Install, update, and repair...
  4. Vista upgrade to Windows10

Vista upgrade to Windows10: Hey guys i have a friend with an old laptop running Vista what is the best way to upgrade it to W10 ?? Can i upgrade to W7 then on to W10 ? Or is there another way without buying W10 ? I checked to see if it would run W10 and it's processor and stuff will ! Any answers...
  5. Need Windows10 upgrade

Need Windows10 upgrade: I have Surface tablet with Windows RT 8.1. I was not given the option to upgrade to Windows10 in 2016. There is an app that I need that only can work in Windows 10. I have no plans to buy a new tablet. What can I do?...
  6. Upgrading Windows7 to Windows10

Upgrading Windows7 to Windows10: Good day! I need an advise regarding upgrading windows7 to windows10. I have a server where I save the windows10 to be deploy and I have around 200 users which is already had a windows 7 and needs to upgrade into windows 10. This users had a back up files . The steps i...
  7. Upgrade of windows10 not recognising DVD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Upgrade of windows10 not recognising DVD: I am using windows 7 64 bit on a brand new computer partly home made 32G DDR3 I have downloaded Windows 10 upgrade. Unfortunately it doesn't recognise my DVD player. Checking the internet I am not alone in this. 53391
  8. Upgrading Windows10

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading Windows10: My Windows10 is currently version 1607 and I would like to upgrade to version 1703 but as a complete novice and 85 years old I am concerned that if I click "Upgrade" I will be faced with a lot of technical jargon to deal with. Is the upgrading difficult or would I be able to...
  9. Upgrade a vista laptop with new install

Upgrade a vista laptop with new install: I have an older vaio laptop that runs vista but I it is not listed on the sony website to have been tested with 10. Is there a way to manually run the compatibility tool to see if I would have problems with installing 10 on it. I know I can't do an upgrade but thought I might...
  10. Vista to 10 upgrade options

in Windows 10 Support
    Vista to 10 upgrade options: Hello, I would like to do a clean install of Win 10 on an older Toshiba laptop currently running Vista. The specs are fine. I believe Win 10 won't be a free upgrade for Vista so I'd like to know my best (and cheapest) option. Is it to buy a Win 7 upgrade (which seems to be...