Windows 10: VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed

Discus and support VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there. on some Linux Hosts using Vmware workstation / Player VLC doesn't work properly on a Windows 10 VM - you don't get any dropdowns from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 6, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed

Hi there.

on some Linux Hosts using Vmware workstation / Player VLC doesn't work properly on a Windows 10 VM - you don't get any dropdowns from the menu.

A reasonable fix for this (apart from checking that you have any Video drivers installed for your Host system) is to install the MESA package (your package installer should get all dependencies too).

This fixes the problem and a few other niggedly screen properties.

(By the way for those using distros with RPM packages a great graphical GUI for package installing is YUMEX).

Cheers
    jimbo.

:)

jimbo45, May 6, 2016

2. purchase license upgrade from windows 7 to 10 since if I upgrade now, VM will run only in Windows 10 host PC

So you are sure if upgrade now to w10 ... there will be No migration problem of w10 VM to the Mac host from windows host... correct?

Lse123polis, May 6, 2016
  3. External Hard Drive not in File Explorer

Plug in the drive and then boot the VM, although there's a possibility that the VM layer is causing issues so look at the host hardware that is accessible to the VM.

Alternately do as I recommended above i.e. "boot from a Linux Live USB/DVD with the drive already attached to your PC and powered on". That way you're booting directly into Linux and your drive may be accessible. No guarantees though.

RobertJWin, May 6, 2016
Thema:

VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed

1. VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed - Similar Threads - VLC W10 Linux

2. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  3. W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    W10 VM on W2K19 VM on KVM Host !! nested VM's: Hi folks So far got HYPER-V to run on a Virtual machine creating a lower level W10 VM - The W2K19 machine is itself a VM running on under KVM/QEMU So far only got Gen 1 to work -- with Gen 2 machine starts but no video - will look at that later but here's the Gen 1 VM So...
  4. Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host: Hi folks I created a working bridge to a physical NIC as per : [[email protected] hrafn]# ifconfig enp2s0f1 0.0.0.0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addbr br0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addif br0 enp2s0f1 <==== one of my NIC physical interfaces - [[email protected]...
  5. Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation

Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation: Hi there @johnnyZ Here's a screenshot of an Arch Linux system running as a VM on ESXI 5.7 (Esxi is the HOST OS) with the arch linux kernel at 5.3.11 and this VM running VMWare workstation -- so in theory your VM's could easily use any VMWare VM images from USB devices while...
  6. Linux VM's / hosts using deluge torrent client fix

Linux VM's / hosts using deluge torrent client fix: Hi folks if you use python 3 on Linux VM's and use deluge as your torrent client you will need to install python3-cairo or it won't start. If you get message in other python stuff with module cairo not found this error should be fixed by the install. Also make sure...
  7. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  8. vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar

vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar: Hi there W10 X-64 pro (build 10547) and vmware workstation rel 12 - in full screen mode can't launch apps from taskbar. Works fine in Windowed mode This happens on LINUX Hosts - (Opensuse, Centos and Mint) Cheers jimbo 23751
  9. Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop

Linux Host on external SSD with W10 and W7 VM's on 8GB laptop: Hi there I've seen loads of posts almost flaming me for saying running a Windows VM with VMWARE workstation or player from a Linux HOST OS booted from an external SSD would have terrible performance. (I.e boot the Linux OS and from its VMware menu--> power on--> Windows...
  10. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...