Windows 10: VLC --really good tool for repairing corrupt video files (mp4 etc)

Discus and support VLC --really good tool for repairing corrupt video files (mp4 etc) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi folks Never realized it but VLC is actually a good video file "repairer" (and it's 100% free) easy way --from menu choose media-->convert/save add... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, May 27, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VLC --really good tool for repairing corrupt video files (mp4 etc)

Hi folks
    Never realized it but VLC is actually a good video file "repairer" (and it's 100% free)

easy way --from menu choose media-->convert/save

add your file

then save

unless file is totally unsalvageable it should do the trick for you.
    Also good for converting to H265 -- a lot faster than Handbrake !!.

(saves messing about with all those "adware ridden "Free" online video converters etc.)

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 27, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks
    Never realized it but VLC is actually a good video file "repairer" (and it's 100% free)

easy way --from menu choose media-->convert/save

add your file

then save

unless file is totally unsalvageable it should do the trick for you.
    Also good for converting to H265 -- a lot faster than Handbrake !!.

(saves messing about with all those "adware ridden "Free" online video converters etc.)

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 27, 2020
  3. MP4 Repair

I gave that program a try last night and it said my corrupted file wasn't the right format..... Although all gopro files are mp4 and the videos before and after were just fine haha. Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll try it again using a bunch of different reference videos and see if that fixes it.

jasper1605, May 27, 2020
  4. VLC --really good tool for repairing corrupt video files (mp4 etc)

Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, May 27, 2020
Thema:

1. VLC --really good tool for repairing corrupt video files (mp4 etc) - Similar Threads - VLC really tool

2. Convert MOD video files to MP4

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert MOD video files to MP4: I have windows 10 and my MOD video files will not play. It seems I need a converter to convert MOD video files to MP4’s.Can anyone recommend a converter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/convert-mod-video-files-to-mp4/58b1bb4b-e2f1-4932-841e-f650ab159fa9
  3. Mp4 videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mp4 videos: Hi could someone please help me to get my mp4 videos to play in windows 11, I have tried the fix for media player compression thing, but the instructions are for windows 10and I do not get the same options, so cant do it. Does anyone know the steps for windows 11. All i get...
  4. Mp4 videos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mp4 videos: Hi could someone please help me to get my mp4 videos to play in windows 11, I have tried the fix for media player compression thing, but the instructions are for windows 10and I do not get the same options, so cant do it. Does anyone know the steps for windows 11. All i get...
  5. Corrupted mp4 file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted mp4 file: Hi. I was recording screen with Xbox Game Bar or something like that, I used WIN+G shortcut and after about 20min my computer got BSOD with code "THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVERS" and when computer turned on, I found out that the mp4 file is corrupted, I mean I can't open it...
  6. Thumbnails for Video Files such as mp4 Are Not Working

Thumbnails for Video Files such as mp4 Are Not Working: Within the last couple of days, thumbnails for video files particularly mp4 seem to have stopped appearing. New files would not get thumbnails, while thumbnails for older files remained. Even more odd, these new mp4 files would receive thumbnails while being uploaded to...
  7. Win Video Editor MP4 file

Win Video Editor MP4 file: I have downloaded a film from my camera to my computer and there are no problems. But when I open the film in the video editor software, the voice is distorted and high pitched. But when you play the film just on the computer software, there are no voice problems. What is...
  8. MP4 Video files corrupted after Windows 10 Installation

MP4 Video files corrupted after Windows 10 Installation: I just recently did a clean install of Windows 10 after using Windows 7 for many years. I moved my files over to a secondary hard drive and once I was done with the installation I moved them back to their appropriate folders (Documents, Pictures, etc). I'm having trouble...
  9. Video/ Audio Sync issues in Youtube/ VLC etc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video/ Audio Sync issues in Youtube/ VLC etc: I have an ASUS laptop ironically called a '' . Series W508v. I bought it because I've had great luck with ASUS in the past and because it was an i7 6700 @2.6 with 16g ram and an SSD. I thought it was specc'd well enough for my uses. The original SSD died and under warranty...
  10. repairing corrupt files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    repairing corrupt files: After running sfc /scannow on my windows 10 installation I have been advised tthat there are corrupt files. I have viewed the log and would like to know what these messages mean. " 000010fd Warning - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory...