Windows 10: VM icon move

Discus and support VM icon move in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello After installing Mint into the Oracle VM using Windows 10, I have the icon on my desktop. I am new to virtualization but have read one can share... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by maranna, Jun 8, 2016.

1. maranna Win User

VM icon move

Hello
    After installing Mint into the Oracle VM using Windows 10, I have the icon on my desktop. I am new to virtualization but have read one can share folders and test programs
    I usually only have the recycle bin there and wondered if there was an easy way to put it else where so I could access it as necessary[functionally too], but not see it all the time.
    Thank you
    Peter
    P.S. are additions recommended?

:)

maranna, Jun 8, 2016

2. PERMANENT ICON

On an Orange E61i I did not have Orange VM enabled ... last week moved to T-Mobile (Orange supplied unlock code)

I now have the '2 reels' icon.

I do not have VM enable with T-Mobile.

If I press and hold '1' .... it calls Orange VM, which I can't access as no longer have service.

Any idea how to clear this ?

argonaut---01, Jun 8, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Can I use Windows 10 VM (legal license) on two different Hosts (VirtualBox)?

I know that a VM is considered like a physical computer and requires its own license, but I hadn't previously considered what happens when you move a VM to another computer. It seems logical that you can't have the same VM licensed on two computers. But
    can you move a VM from one computer to another while maintaining the VM's license?

BulldogXX, Jun 8, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

VM icon move

Hi there
    Sharing folders etc with VM's is simply done via Networking - NAT/BRIDGED/HOST ONLY - choose what's best for your case. If you want to isolate the VM from the Internet chose Host only.

On the Windows host enable the HDD's / directories you want to share

From Windows Host to Linux VM -- the normal way is to Mount a specific device on the Linux machine with the appropriate privileges. Linux will need package ntfs-3g to be installed if you want READ/WRITE access to your Windows files on the VM. On some linux distros this package is generally installed by default.

E.g as root mount /dev/hdb -t ntfs -o rw /mnt/shareddir

On Windows to read Linux files you need to set up SAMBA shares (on the |Linux machine) and then you just go into File explorer-->networking-->computer-name--> then you'll see the files you've defined in SAMBA.

When you boot up the Linux VM ensure services smb and nmb are started and active.

Explaining SAMBA config is beyond the scope of this post but there's lots of documentation out there - and Linux Mint usually plays nice with networks.

Note you WILL need to install vbox additions --this improves mouse / touchpads, video drivers and sound for your VM.

Here's a test SAMBA file (smb.conf) that I use from time to time. Find it in directory root-->etc-->samba

#======================= Global Settings =====================================

[global]
    max protocol = SMB3
    # can set it to SMB2 if you want experimental SMB2 support.
    #
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = Samba Server Version %v

; max protocol = SMB2

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    security = user
    passdb backend = tdbsam

load printers = yes
    cups options = raw

; printcap name = /etc/printcap
    # obtain a list of printers automatically on UNIX System V systems:
    ; printcap name = lpstat
    ; printing = cups

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    valid users = %S

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /var/spool/samba
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no
    writable = no
    printable = yes

[Music]
    comment Music files
    path = /mnt/Music
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

[Films]
    comment Films
    path = /mnt/Video/Films
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

[Television]
    comment TV series
    path = /mnt/Video/TV/TV
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

[BBC]
    comment BBC
    path = /mnt/Video/BBC
    guest ok = yes
    writeable = yes
    browseable = yes

Don't forget to add your username initially (as root run command from a console : smbpasswd -a username) you'll be prompted for a password.

When you've decided on your SAMBA conf file test it with (again as root) TESTPARM

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 8, 2016
  5. maranna Win User
    Hi Jimbo and thank you for all of the information I have read your posts over and over and as a novice to Linux I am amazed at the complexity of the system I guess it is something you should have used for quite a while. I actually did set up Oracle with mint and establish the printer and was able to write a letter and have a good search of the operating system and setup it is so different than Windows and I wish I was more proficient with it.
    Like a language it would require me to be immersed or have someone at my side do to the complexity of it
    I think it is too much for me and will stick with Windows and I can't thank you enough for your time and effort.
    Peter

maranna, Jun 8, 2016
  6. maranna Win User
    May I ask, if I want to open a program from Win 10 and not use a desktop icon, can I go to program files or wherever the origin of the path is and open it from there. I was thinking of that hypothetically /generally but also specifically about removing the virtual box icon from the desktop.
    When I removed it fro the desktop last time I could not open it with the start I had sent it to. Right click>'send to start'.

maranna, Jun 9, 2016
  7. Hopachi Win User
    Hello Peter,

The VirtualBox main window is the VM manager: from there you see all your VMs that you can launch.

You can however create a shortcut of one VM and add it to the desktop:

VM icon move [​IMG]

This shortcut will launch the VM directly, without the manager window.

VM icon move [​IMG]

Behind the scenes, a command line, with path to the virtualbox exe is sent with the right parameters.

Hopachi, Jun 10, 2016
  8. Hopachi Win User

VM icon move

Yes.
    Source:
    Chapter*4.*Guest Additions

Hopachi, Jun 10, 2016
  9. maranna Win User
    @Hopachi - Yes, I understand about the desktop shortcut which I did create. I had only a recycle bin on my desktop and wish to keep it that way so; is there a way to send a functional shortcut to open the VM? Could I go to the path and open the VM there so the desktop is clear? If not I will place it on the desktop..
    @Hopachi - I read bout the additions which was quite complicated for me. I have someone who can tutor me o.l. so do you think a low level Linux person like me could create these additions one by one?
    Thank you for helping me get started.
    Peter

maranna, Jun 10, 2016
  10. Hopachi Win User
    Certainly, Desktop can be used for some work of art, scenic panoramas... you name it!
    You can place the shortcut somewhere else instead of the Desktop -> Pin to Start for instance; or put it in another folder.
    You can even copy the whole path with parameters and launch it from Run or cmd window... or even place it in the startup folder and let is start when Windows starts... endless possibilities here.

This is quite easy:
    From the VM window menu -> Devices -> Insert guest addition CD... then something should pop up; otherwise browse to the virtual CD in the VM and launch the installer manually from there.

Chapter*4.*Guest Additions
    For Linux guests:
    Code: sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run[/quote]

Hopachi, Jun 11, 2016
  11. maranna Win User
    I did "send to" start, but when I clicked upon it, nothing happened.
    That would have been the easiest place to put it if it had worked.
    How do you mechanically put the VM elsewhere so when you click on it the VM opens?
    By knowing this I will also know how to move something else.

I guess I thought additions was hard because I was trying to understand chapter 4 - that is confusing for a novice.

This is Windows 10 pro x 64.

maranna, Jun 11, 2016
  12. Hopachi Win User
    Try to click it again. Does your VM start if you launch it from the VirtualBox manager window?

The pin to start works fine here.

Actually the shortcut from desktop is the way to do it and should work everywhere you place it. If "nothing happens" when you click it, then you must have a bad config for the VM or some other issue.

Hopachi, Jun 12, 2016
  13. maranna Win User

VM icon move

Yes the VM itself and the shortcut work but when I sent to start it did not open as the desktop 2 did. There was some corruption there and am glad to know that.
    I though it was odd when the start would not pen and now I know it should have. Thank you

maranna, Jun 12, 2016
  14. Hopachi Win User
    Another option is to pin the VM shortcut to the taskbar and run it from there as well.

Instead of pinning the VirtualBox launcher to the taskbar, I use VBoxLaunch:
    it makes a list of your VM's and you can right-click launch them directly from the taskbar.

VM icon move [​IMG]

Hopachi, Jun 12, 2016
  15. maranna Win User
    I did see that option to save to or pin to task bar. That app is handy.
    TY

maranna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

VM icon move

1. VM icon move - Similar Threads - icon move

2. "Pinned" icons on the task bar keep moving around, where are my tools?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Pinned" icons on the task bar keep moving around, where are my tools?: I just switched to Windows 11 PC from Windows 10. I have a number of frequently used apps "pinned" to the task bar, but no matter how I adjust the settings, they will not stay in a fixed position. They slide down the task bar depending on the order and type of the files I've...
  3. "Pinned" icons on the task bar keep moving around, where are my tools?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Pinned" icons on the task bar keep moving around, where are my tools?: I just switched to Windows 11 PC from Windows 10. I have a number of frequently used apps "pinned" to the task bar, but no matter how I adjust the settings, they will not stay in a fixed position. They slide down the task bar depending on the order and type of the files I've...
  4. Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.: I'm appreciated if somebody can help me to fix the problem. Sometimes after using my laptop for a while, I can't move or click open the icons on my desktop, except the very left two columns. When I tried to drag icons from the left two columns to the right part of the screen,...
  5. Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.

Can't click icons or move icons on my desktop.: I'm appreciated if somebody can help me to fix the problem. Sometimes after using my laptop for a while, I can't move or click open the icons on my desktop, except the very left two columns. When I tried to drag icons from the left two columns to the right part of the screen,...
  6. Win 11 taskbar duplicates Adobe PDF icons after they're moved into extended monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 taskbar duplicates Adobe PDF icons after they're moved into extended monitor: Win 11 taskbar duplicates Adobe PDF icons after they're moved into an extended monitor from my laptop.So, when I move an open PDF from one monitor to another now, the Windows taskbar shows two icons side by side for that file. If I then move the file back to the original...
  7. Win 11 taskbar duplicates Adobe PDF icons after they're moved into extended monitor

Win 11 taskbar duplicates Adobe PDF icons after they're moved into extended monitor: Win 11 taskbar duplicates Adobe PDF icons after they're moved into an extended monitor from my laptop.So, when I move an open PDF from one monitor to another now, the Windows taskbar shows two icons side by side for that file. If I then move the file back to the original...
  8. How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...: How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the clock?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-the-old-copilot-icon-position-in/70cf0413-b01d-4c04-8348-8fba90dfefba
  9. How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...

How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the...: How do I move the old Copilot icon position in Windows 11 to the new position close to the clock?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-move-the-old-copilot-icon-position-in/70cf0413-b01d-4c04-8348-8fba90dfefba
  10. Copilot Icon Moving Is a CFR!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copilot Icon Moving Is a CFR!: Having seen read people saying, "What gives?, my Copilot icon has not moved to the Sys Tray"...It is a Controlled Feature Rollout; meaning, not all Users will receive it simultaneously or immediately. For some it will come soon in a later Update Moment 5. Please, see the Note...