Windows 10: VM issues

Discus and support VM issues in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hello My question is a general one but I am curious as to how many people have VM's. I ask because I know you can test programs in it and run a more... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by maranna, Jun 13, 2016.

1. maranna Win User

VM issues

Hello
    My question is a general one but I am curious as to how many people have VM's.
    I ask because I know you can test programs in it and run a more secure OS.
    I know it takes practice to become proficient with most everything but I have used Oracle's Virtual Box abut three times now. It seems I always have an issue and it is like speaking a new language. It is more difficult than Win 10 and non of the distros are as good.
    I read that it is also a strain on the OS itself.
    I had an online friend actually tutor me briefly but it seems something different always came up and I was at a fork in the road with a blind fold on.
    Which is the easiest and most stable of the VM's? Is there a current tutorial for Win 10 users that you know of?
    I am always trying new things with my computer and wonder if it is really worth having or is this something mostly highly skilled users have?
    Thanks for listening.

:)

maranna, Jun 13, 2016
  2. neilpzz Win User

VirtualBox on Windows 10 Fall Creators update

Others in the VM forum have reported issues with 3D Acceleration on VM build 5.2.
    I have VM build 5.1.31 r 118435.

neilpzz, Jun 13, 2016
  3. Uh-Clem Win User
    Activated (on Mac Boot Camp) Windows 10 become non-activated as Parallels "My Boot Camp"

It appears this is a problem with both Parallels and VMWare Fusion. There are threads about this issue in the Parallels and Fusion forums:

Windows 10 Bootcamp VM can't validate!

Windows 10 + Boot Camp VM = activation issue (error 0xc004c003)

I want to install Windows 10 in a Boot Camp partition and be able to boot directly or boot as a VM as I currently do with Windows 8.1 Hopefully Microsoft will address this issue soon.

Uh-Clem, Jun 13, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

VM issues

@whs has a video about vmplayer somewhere...

5. essenbe Win User
    yes, it is worth it. I have no problems at all, but I use VMWare Player. How efficient a VM is will depend on the resources your computer has. I have about 5 operating systems in a VM right now. This is a Tutorial about it that @Kyhi mentioned. There may be others too.

VMware Player - Install and Setup Zorin - Windows 7 Help Forums

Here is one I did on installing Windows 10 in VMWare Player

[youtube]vCgs9vLB9K0[/youtube]

essenbe, Jun 13, 2016
  6. LMiller7 Win User
    Using a virtual machine is not for everyone. Many people will never have a use for one and that is fine.

But many people find virtual machines very useful and difficult to get along without. One common use it to try out a different OS, such as Windows 10 or Linux. The virtual disk for the OS is just a file so there is no need to create a separate partition. And removing the virtual machine is just a few mouse clicks to recover all the space it consumed.

A virtual machine is also more secure. Even a severe infection is unlikely to effect the host and your valuable files there. But keep in mind that security is always relative. Many people do such things as banking from a virtual machine for the security it provides.

And ther eis much more.

Of course using virtual machines requires more memory in the host. But if you have 16 GB as essenbe does then running 5 virtual machines is quite practical.

LMiller7, Jun 13, 2016
  7. maranna Win User
    My 5 year old machine only has 6 GB RAM - perhaps that is one of my problems.

Thank you all for the tutorials which will now read.

maranna, Jun 13, 2016
  8. essenbe Win User

VM issues

6 GB of ram is enough to run a VM. just give the VM half of it. It will only use the ram while the VM is running and then only as much as it is actually using. Your computer (the host) will run OK on 3 GB while running the VM.

essenbe, Jun 13, 2016
  9. maranna Win User
    That is important and thanks.
    BTW, great video.

maranna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

VM issues

1. VM issues - Similar Threads - issues

2. Help : Windows Driver Installation Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help : Windows Driver Installation Issue: Since 2022, I'm having trouble installing drivers on my computer's system, specifically after downloading and installing drivers including amd chipset software, amd software adrenalin edition, and other windows driver installation.The issue seems to reappear every time I...
  3. Help : Windows Driver Installation Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help : Windows Driver Installation Issue: Since 2022, I'm having trouble installing drivers on my computer's system, specifically after downloading and installing drivers including amd chipset software, amd software adrenalin edition, and other windows driver installation.The issue seems to reappear every time I...
  4. Help : Windows Driver Installation Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 update issue upon restarting the pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 update issue upon restarting the pc: After updating the windows update system ask me to restart the laptop and upon restating it gave error msg system is not restarted properly and after taking all possible steps i restored the laptop with booting usb drive. Again, upon windows a11 update same problem is...
  6. Windows 11 update issue upon restarting the pc

Windows 11 update issue upon restarting the pc: After updating the windows update system ask me to restart the laptop and upon restating it gave error msg system is not restarted properly and after taking all possible steps i restored the laptop with booting usb drive. Again, upon windows a11 update same problem is...
  7. Authenticator App Issue

Authenticator App Issue: Hi, I recently changed devices so tried to log into the authenticator app to pull through my backup but I have forgotten my password for the live.co.uk account I used. The password was always saved on my last device. I've tried to reset the password but it won't accept...
  8. Authenticator App Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Authenticator App Issue: Hi, I recently changed devices so tried to log into the authenticator app to pull through my backup but I have forgotten my password for the live.co.uk account I used. The password was always saved on my last device. I've tried to reset the password but it won't accept...
  9. Windows 11 & Solidworks PDM 2020 File Explorer Issues.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 & Solidworks PDM 2020 File Explorer Issues.: Just received Windows 11 upgraded from Windows 10 but now the address bar in File Explorer isn't working with Solidworks PDM 2020? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-solidworks-pdm-2020-file-explorer/5690c449-49e9-47a2-8e27-2ca4e1c57a38
  10. Windows 11 & Solidworks PDM 2020 File Explorer Issues.

Windows 11 & Solidworks PDM 2020 File Explorer Issues.: Just received Windows 11 upgraded from Windows 10 but now the address bar in File Explorer isn't working with Solidworks PDM 2020? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-solidworks-pdm-2020-file-explorer/5690c449-49e9-47a2-8e27-2ca4e1c57a38