Windows 10: VM Licenses

Discus and support VM Licenses in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm using a Dell PC with a factory installed OEM version of Windows 10 Pro. My work requires me to use program editing software from many different... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Pat_BBE, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:02 PM.

1. Pat_BBE Win User

VM Licenses

I'm using a Dell PC with a factory installed OEM version of Windows 10 Pro.

My work requires me to use program editing software from many different vendors, these software titles often don't work well and can cause issue with the PC they are installed on. My thought is to isolate them by using VMs with the software for each vendor installed on it's own VM - isolated from my Host and the other VMs I would use for other editors.

My new PC with Win10 OEM would be the host. Only 1 VM would be used on the host at a time but there would be as many as 10 different VMs I could run on the host.

Can I copy my host OS to the VM with my OEM license?

If I can't, and I need a new license for the VMs can I use 1 license for the multiple VMs?

Is there an upgrade from OEM to FPP ?

Pat

:)

2. Questions on Windows 10 licensing for a Hyper-V VM

I have a Windows 10 Pro machine which supports virtualization.

I want to create a hyper-V VM running Windows 10 as the guest host. I have some questions on licensing and any activation issues that might occur
    1. I expect I'll need to buy a 2nd Win 10 license
      • Does it need to be a retail license?
      • Or can I a buy an OEM license? (I’ll always use the 2nd license for a virtual machine on the same PC but never run more then one VM at a time)
    2. If i wanted to create multiple VMs (gen-1 and gen-2) could I use that 2nd license each time? Again, assuming i'll never actually having more then one VM running at a time.
    3. And just curious: Does anyone know if MS simply recognizes 2 licenses both for the same PC? If I did a fresh reinstall in the future, would it make any difference which license i lthen used for the PC and which for the VM?

ComputerGeek, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:03 PM
  3. Licensing Windows 10 within VMs

I'm a developer, and I'm sorta paranoid, so all my computers run Linux in work mode. I have a HDD with an official install of W7 for gaming, but some of my customers need me into Windows. So the natural answer is a Virtual Machine.

• Can I buy a license of W10 and then install into a VM?
    • Or (better) upgrade one of my test VMs with an official license and begin to work with it?
    • Will I be able to run multiple instances of that VM (never simultaneous, just one instance each time, in my laptop when I'm out OR my desktop when I'm home)?
    I did my search about it, but I cannot find explicit clear answers, just some ppl (assumed Microsoft staff) saying yes, and some (assumed Ms staff too) saying no.

I also bought TWO "cheap" licenses of W10 in Amazon from a digital store, and the activation center denies them. I can live with it, because they were really cheap and I bought them as a test before spending real cash into an official license to see it not
    working.

VicençLozano, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:03 PM
  4. SarahKong Win User

VM Licenses

Windows 10 VM license

Exactly.

When you go to the evaluation site you can download a complete ISO of Windows 10.

Below is a link step by step with screen shots on how to create a VM in Hyper-V using the ISO that you download from the evaluation site.

Link says Windows 8.1 but works the same in Windows 10.

The trial copies are fully functional so it is perfect for testing purposes.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/20...

Thema:

VM Licenses

1. VM Licenses - Similar Threads - Licenses

2. License for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    License for Windows 10: We have some HP computers with Windows 7 pro and I had upgraded it to windows 10 on 7/16/2016. I created an image of the upgraded windows 10. Is that valid license if I had to reimage it to 11 HP computers with the same spec. ***Modified title from: windows 7 upgrade to...
  3. Windows 10 Activation via Digital License - Error Code 0x87E10BC6

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation via Digital License - Error Code 0x87E10BC6: I have a digital license linked to my account. Recently, I had to clean reinstall windows 10 due to BSOD startup error. when I tried to activate my windows using the same microsoft account it gave my this error [ATTACH] I tried the troubleshooter [ATTACH] Please note...
  4. Assign Windows E3 license

Assign Windows E3 license: Hi team, We have synced on prem AD with Azure AD. Assigned the license(Windows 10 Enterprise E3) in Azure Portal for Windows AD User. i joined a machine in on prem AD and logged in User(which is having E3 license), but the license is not assign....
  5. License win 10 pro oem , can i use it for version os win 10 pro for workstation ?

License win 10 pro oem , can i use it for version os win 10 pro for workstation ?: License win 10 pro oem , can i use it for version os win 10 pro for workstation ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/license-win-10-pro-oem-can-i-use-it-for-version-os/7bc8e72c-cabb-4135-9120-cbecfb215e88"
  6. how to renew my windows license

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to renew my windows license: hello, My windows license is due to expire on the 8th of January. How do I renew the license? I bought the laptop in Nigeria but I'm currently out of the country....
  7. Windows License details

Windows License details: Hi Team, We have 30 users license for Windows 10 Enterprise E3(subscription basis). All the machine connected to Azure AD. If we create a Windows AD server in Azure we sync this AD to Azure AD. Will GPO in Windows AD server will reflect in Azure AD? For Example i am...
  8. I have a license for Office 2016 pro plus, how I can activate it?

I have a license for Office 2016 pro plus, how I can activate it?: How can I activate Office 2016 pro plus, with my license number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-have-a-license-for-office-2016-pro-plus-how-i/2795514c-5286-49d9-a3b8-fc87d78222b3"
  9. Removing Licenses from previous computers From Microsoft account.

Removing Licenses from previous computers From Microsoft account.: Hello, I've just recently finished an updated computer build in which I changed everything except for the GPU and Hard Disks I was using, and upon Windows 10 Pro install I am unable to activate Windows as the license I purchased has been utilized too many times, that being...
  10. Windows 10 bootable USB stick from the license box

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 bootable USB stick from the license box: Hi, as I am currently in process of buying parts for my first gaming PC build , and precising that I only have a MacBook so macos and no access to a windows system, I was planning to use the USB stick included with some windows 10 license retail boxes as I can't make one...