Windows 10: VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V

Discus and support VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks would be interesting to compare performance of a VM running under VMWare (workstation / player), Virtual Box or HYPER-V. Using a W7 VM (with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Nov 28, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V

Hi folks
    would be interesting to compare performance of a VM running under VMWare (workstation / player), Virtual Box or HYPER-V.

Using a W7 VM (with latest updates applied) I got a reasonable performance spec on an 8GB HP envy laptop -- I chose W7 as the built in assessement test gives a comparative measurement platform which can be used on any Host -- Max score (i.e 100%) is 7.9

Here's my one on Vmware workstation

VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V [​IMG]

If anybody is running a W7 VM on any other Vm software would be good to to see their results. -- I'll see also if I can set up the identical VM on KVM on the same physical hardware.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 28, 2019
  2. Schism082 Win User

No Internet in Hyper-V VM's

Hi, I have Windows 10 Enterprise and just added Hyper-V. I had 3 VM's on VMware Player and deleted and uninstalled Player. I have 3 Vm's on Hyper-V. My problem is I get no Internet on my Vm's. I am new to Hyper-V and would like to know how to connect these
    to the internet. I have "Virtual switch (automatic)" selected. They show no connections available in the VM's. How do I connect to the internet? (I'm on wifi.) I'm attaching a screenshot. Thanks

VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V a5a649f6-ec4d-4915-ad8b-d1e2d2a5cafa.png

Schism082, Nov 28, 2019
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Hyper V

Hyper-V is either installed or not installed. It cannot be disabled.

After I was done experimenting with Hyper-V I deleted my VM and uninstalled Hyper-V. Poof, gone.

Hyper-V worked fine for me, but I still prefer VMWare. Hyper-V works best with Ethernet; it's trickier with WiFi.

BulldogXX, Nov 28, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Hi folks

am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V

For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails,

How to Convert Vmware Virtual Machine to HYPER-V | Askme4Tech

I'll mark this post as solved after I've tried it.

You could also use the free starwind V2V converter -- GUI based for people who don't like command line -- choose ist vmdk file and let it do it's business.

Note although free you have to fill in a registration and they will send you a link -- seems OK company so you might be happier with that.

Microsofts own converter rather stupidly requires you to have Esxi or Vsphere - stupid really as individuals won't have these usually.

If converting a Windows VM uninstall VMware tools first.

I'm satisfied now for CENTOS VM on HYPER-V is stable enough -- I don't need sound on the VM or even a Linux GUI but while testing it's easier to mess around with a GUI on the VM.

Quite satisfied with performance of the VM on HYPER-V and by installing XRDP on the VM there's no problem accessing it on "Non hosted" machines on my LAN via RDP.

The starwind takes a bit of time - have breakfast or take the walk for a dog etc etc.

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

1. VM performance - VMware Vs HYPER-V - Similar Threads - performance VMware HYPER

2. Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains: I have used Hyper-V in the past on Server 2008 some years back and typically used rdp from another machine to access the VM's. I have a lot more experience over the years using VMWare Workstation (ESX too) as well as VirtualBox. I thought I would give Hyper-V another go...
  3. Hyper-V VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hyper-V VM: With the Hyper-V session running on my local machine. Am I allowed to create a VM using the DVD I used on the machine? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-vm/2b8f2e09-28ab-4e98-bba3-f835ac67d542"
  4. Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V

Convert VMWare VM to Hyper-V: Hi folks am testing this little thing I saw on the Internet about converting a VM created with VMware to HYPER-V For anybody trying this too -- do back up your existing VM if you think you'll need it or if the conversion process fails, How to Convert Vmware Virtual...
  5. Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware

Suspend and Resume VM much slower on HYPER-V than vmware: Hi there particularly @Kari - you seem to be the resident expert on HYPER-V !!!! I have two reasonably identical VM's (Linux CENTOS 7 basically runnng SAMBA, PLEX media server, logitech media server and sharing some files). The shared files are on 2 logical RAID 0...
  6. Exporting VM with hyper-v

Exporting VM with hyper-v: When you export a VM with Hyper-v, does the exported VM retain the same hardware identifier as the original? I know with VMware, when you open up a backed up VM, you select "I moved it" to retain hardware identifier, and "I copied it" if you want a new identifier. Is it...
  7. HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation

HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation: Hi there just thought I'd do a Bonkers experiment - works and isn't too slow (but use SSD !!!). Host W10 X-64 PRO with HYPER-V VM1 (ist level VM - 2nd level machine) Linux CENTOS 7 with latest kernel (4.7) VM2 --installed VMware workstation on the Linux machine...
  8. VMWare VM in Hpyer V

VMWare VM in Hpyer V: HI Folks, Here is one of those really silly questions. . .*Smile,can you use a VM created with VMWare with Hyper V. Just wondering since MS doesn't want Hyper V and VMWare working together on the same OS. . .bummer. . .*Tongue 43374
  9. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...
  10. VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice

VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice: HI there By using the bcedit trick I can run both HYPER-V VM's and VMWARE (not simultaneously though - you have to re-boot). VMWARE has the advantage of not relying on RDP for all communications - RDP could be real slow on a laggy network. You can get better response by...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper v vs vmware workstation performances

2. vmware workstation player hyper-v

3. vm workstation pro vs windows hyper v

4. vmware hyper-v パフォーマンス,
  5. vmware player vs hyper-v windows 10,
  6. windows local virtual machine vmwave vs hyperv,
  7. vmware vs hardware running windows,
  8. hyper v vs workstation player,
  9. VMware workstation vs Hyper-v on windows 10 performance,
  10. vmware vs windows hyper v performnce,
  11. vmware workstation player hyper v performance