Windows 10: VM server trouble (server can't find the host name)

Discus and support VM server trouble (server can't find the host name) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; hello. i am trying to network two Virtual Box VM's and access a shared folder using \\hostname but it is not working. when i try to do this the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by TheGoldenGear, Sep 1, 2020.

1. VM server trouble (server can't find the host name)

hello.

i am trying to network two Virtual Box VM's and access a shared folder using \\hostname but it is not working. when i try to do this the windows network diagnostics tells me that windows can communicate with the name resolution server but can't find the host name.

both VM's are using windows 10 pro educational and are turned on and have access to the internet and to the same Nat Network. i used command prompt to ping the two computers and they both successfully replied. they are also clones of each other.

what can i do to resolve this issue?

:)

TheGoldenGear, Sep 1, 2020

2. VM server trouble (server can't find the host name)

hello.

i am trying to network two Virtual Box VM's and access a shared folder using \\hostname but it is not working. when i try to do this the windows network diagnostics tells me that windows can communicate with the name resolution server but can't find the host name.

both VM's are using windows 10 pro educational and are turned on and have access to the internet and to the same Nat Network. i used command prompt to ping the two computers and they both successfully replied. they are also clones of each other.

what can i do to resolve this issue?

TheGoldenGear, Sep 1, 2020
  3. scoob101 Win User
    Win10 Pro - Hyper-V hosting a Server 2012 R2 Server + Gaming on Host?

Hi,

I run a home server for Hosting file shares, a Plex server, an LMS Squeezebox server, and Ubiquiti management server. The hardware is about 8 years old and I`m looking to upgrade.

One thing I would like to do is some VR gaming (Elite Dangerous specifically) and I`m thinking about leveraging the new hardware to host the server in a Hyper-V VM on the Windows 10 Pro machine, and then install Elite Dangerous on the host operating system for some VR gaming action.

As the 2012 R2 server hosts a number of essential services for the home, it needs to be running reliably 24/7, even when Im gaming on the host (which will be infrequently). The services running on the 2012 server take very little resources.

My question is - assuming I spec a good multi-core system, with plenty of RAM and a fast SSD for the OS - are there any issues with the approach I`m suggesting?

Would VR gaming work reliably in this configuration?

scoob101, Sep 1, 2020
  4. Castiel Win User

VM server trouble (server can't find the host name)

Dedicated Server Host

I would contact Digital Ocean before implementing a game server on a droplet. Because it is still shared hosting, this is basically built for websites and applications. FYI, they are a new company and I would read the reviews for them because I have seen several times people have lost their data due to their "SSD" solutions.

I would suggest to price match your best out of dedicated game server hosting, don't try to use a web hosting company. Because you will max out the shared resources when the server is full.

Castiel, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

VM server trouble (server can't find the host name)

1. VM server trouble (server can't find the host name) - Similar Threads - server trouble server

2. Server name or address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Server name or address: Help please find discovery https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/server-name-or-address/20f60a90-6ec4-4ae9-a288-5e8252bc4d5d
  3. Can a Physical Server and a VM Server coexist with the same license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a Physical Server and a VM Server coexist with the same license?: We have a client that has recently cloned their physical 2012 server, running Parallels, to a VM server. They want to use this VM server as fall back when and if that physical server goes down. This VM will only be turned once the physical server is down allowing remote users...
  4. Can a Physical Server and a VM Server coexist with the same license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a Physical Server and a VM Server coexist with the same license?: We have a client that has recently cloned their physical 2012 server, running Parallels, to a VM server. They want to use this VM server as fall back when and if that physical server goes down. This VM will only be turned once the physical server is down allowing remote users...
  5. How to properly configure a VPN Server on a Server 2019 Hyper V Hosted VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to properly configure a VPN Server on a Server 2019 Hyper V Hosted VM: Afternoon, hope you can help :Here is the setup I want to accomplish; I am stuck with the routing / NAT I suspectPhysical Server running Server 2019.2 - Physical NICS - 1 Connected to my router/home network running Server 2019. - 1 Connected to a separate Switch, currently...
  6. How to properly configure a VPN Server on a Server 2019 Hyper V Hosted VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to properly configure a VPN Server on a Server 2019 Hyper V Hosted VM: Afternoon, hope you can help :Here is the setup I want to accomplish; I am stuck with the routing / NAT I suspectPhysical Server running Server 2019.2 - Physical NICS - 1 Connected to my router/home network running Server 2019. - 1 Connected to a separate Switch, currently...
  7. Upgrade a 2008 server in Hyper v vm to 2012 server

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade a 2008 server in Hyper v vm to 2012 server: Hi I am running hyper v manager on my windows 10 pro pc. I am running 2008 server on the hyper v manager and I want to upgrade it to 2012 server. When I click on the install now button it does the copy files but does not go to the windows update window to continue the...
  8. Windows as a media server with VM

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows as a media server with VM: Hi I got an old Asus U46E with a i7-2620M and 8go ram (looking to update the ram) I'm using it a media player (mostly streming with emby and, netflix) with some google search. For now i have an ubuntu with Pihole, the emby server, pivpn, and a bit more Is there some stuff...
  9. Host a game server on a website

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Host a game server on a website: im trying to setup a minecraft server to be hosted on my github page. How do i do this??? Please i need help with this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/host-a-game-server-on-a-website/7d8fdfd8-45af-4273-bc24-8fba596e270c
  10. trouble connecting to server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    trouble connecting to server: hi im trying to play the isle on steam I have it downloaded on my computer but I am trying to play an online game and when ever I try to play it always says trouble connecting to server...