Windows 10: VM's using Physical HDD's and software RAID - error with Windows HOSTS

Discus and support VM's using Physical HDD's and software RAID - error with Windows HOSTS in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Yep this makes sense. You define RAID arrays in real life too using whole physical disks, not partitions. *Smile Hi there @slicendice That partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VM's using Physical HDD's and software RAID - error with Windows HOSTS

Hi there @slicendice
    That partition wasn't part of the array though.

However deleting it from the VM config you can get back your data

[root@hestur jim]# mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md1 --level=0 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd
    mdadm: chunk size defaults to 512K
    mdadm: partition table exists on /dev/sdb
    mdadm: partition table exists on /dev/sdb but will be lost or
    meaningless after creating array
    mdadm: partition table exists on /dev/sdc
    mdadm: partition table exists on /dev/sdc but will be lost or
    mdadm: partition table exists on /dev/sdd
    mdadm: partition table exists on /dev/sdd but will be lost or
    Continue creating array? y
    mdadm: Defaulting to version 1.2 metadata
    mdadm: array /dev/md1 started.
    [root@hestur jim]# lsblk
    NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda 8:0 0 200G 0 disk
    ├─sda1 8:1 0 1G 0 part /boot
    └─sda2 8:2 0 199G 0 part
    ├─cl-root 253:0 0 50G 0 lvm /
    ├─cl-swap 253:1 0 2G 0 lvm [SWAP]
    └─cl-home 253:2 0 147G 0 lvm /home
    sdb 8:16 0 3.7T 0 disk
    └─md1 9:1 0 9.1T 0 raid0
    sdc 8:32 0 2.7T 0 disk
    sdd 8:48 0 2.7T 0 disk
    sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
    [root@hestur jim]# mount /dev/md1 -t auto -o rw /mnt/DV2

Now all my data is back and on re-boot the RAID array is there again

VM's using Physical HDD's and software RAID - error with Windows HOSTS [​IMG]

Don't do any re-formatting or you will lose data.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    Watch carefully when using physical HDD's with VM (i.e use the Native FS on the whole Disk - without GPT info with file systems such as EXT4 / XFS ) on a WINDOWS HOST.

The problem arises in this type of case :
    4HDD's D1 GPT Partitioned C for Windows etc, D as XFS.
    D2,3,4 formatted totally XFS. D2,3,4 defined as single RAID 0 array.

Start up the VM.

The raw partition on D1 will stop any changes to partition tables so next time you boot the VM the HDD's will be shown as 4 single HDD's every time you power on the VM.

The RAID 0 array can be re-started without loss of data (you need to re-create it again and not reformat the fs). Just use the mdadm command to redefine the array again and it will start OK.

If you remove the partition D from the VM then everything is fine again so if you want physical HDD's use the entire HDD not a RAW partition. If you need more space then define the partition D as a Virtual HDD -- even though using VHD's lowers performance of the I/O subsystem -- you are probably better off sharing the Windows Native partition with the VM in this case.

Just a little trap for the unwary.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 27, 2018
  3. BPZ
    BPZ Win User
    port win 10 on local vm

- Bought a refurbished machine with win 10 + digital entitlement (most probably after win 8 upgrade)

- Created a vm via vmware as "image" of the physical system

- The vm win10 guest seemed to have no activation problems on win10 host

Problems come when launching the vm on linux host (same physical machine): the win10 guest is not able to activate. Besides this causes a bunch of key/mouse etc.. driver unsolvable problems.

All this was pretty easy with pid oem licences (e.g. w7). How can that be solved, if it could?

Thanks for reading

P

4. VM's using Physical HDD's and software RAID - error with Windows HOSTS

The Network List Manager reports no connectivity to the internet. Yet internet works fine.

Hello.

Windows 10, VMware Workstation 14 Pro with Sophos XG Firewall as a guest. Physical network card is bridged to the Sophos Firewall guest, and has IPv4 disabled on the host. A host-network has been created for the physical computer to talk to the Sophos Firewall.
    This forces all traffic on the physical host to go through the Sophos VM on its way out to the Internet. This works fine, the internet is surfable, the physical computers get an IP.

However, Windows says no internet. It would seem Windows 10 is not capable of recognising a virtual adaptor might be the Internet gateway. The problem this causes is that Windows Updates don't work and Outlook won't work. Yet Internet is fully there.

How can I make this work.

Thanks

oztasdevil, Apr 27, 2018
  5. Yep this makes sense. You define RAID arrays in real life too using whole physical disks, not partitions. *Smile

slicendice, Apr 27, 2018
Thema:

VM's using Physical HDD's and software RAID - error with Windows HOSTS

1. VM's using Physical HDD's and software RAID - error with Windows HOSTS - Similar Threads - VM's using Physical

2. Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Using Physical Disk in KVM/QEMU Windows VM: Hi there If you have a spare external (or even internal) HDD / SSD that you want to use as a "Physical" Disk drive say on a Windows VM using native ntfs for exampleso you can unplug it later and connect to a Windows physical machine etc to copy data etc then it's easy enough...
  3. VM's - What VM OS'es /hosts / virt progs are you using

VM's - What VM OS'es /hosts / virt progs are you using: Hi folks I was just amazed that on a topic on XP I got over 10,000 views and another one over 14,000 -- so I thought would be interesting to get an idea of what VM's people are running, on what type of HOST system and what Virtualisation platform they are using -- I know...
  4. Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS

Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS: Hi folks If you are playing around with KVM Hosts and want Windows VM's to have host access without going through all problems of creating bridges (not supported via KVM on WIFI anyway) here's a simple way to do it : The method works by defining a "Virtual network" and a...
  5. Problem with software RAID

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problem with software RAID: I have four 4TB drives I created a software RAID 5 on. When accessing the volume, specifically writing to it, my PC becomes noticeably less stable; as in, a video's audio stream stopping for a few milliseconds like when playing a really high-bitrate file from a hard drive...
  6. Esxi users -- using RAW (physical ) disks in VM's

Esxi users -- using RAW (physical ) disks in VM's: Hi folks those of you who are trying / using Esxi then it;s possible to pass thru (or attach) physical RAW disks to your VM's - so you can attach existing Windows (NTFS) or Linux formatted disks and also RAID configured arrays as RAW disks. For software RAID attach the...
  7. RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's): Hi folks for those using RAID 0 especially on devices with unequal sizes you won't be able to access your array after kernel 5.3.3 (whether as host or in a VM) This applies whatever the Windows Host virtualisation you are using - whether VBOX / VMWare or HYPER-V. Also...
  8. Windows 10 VM image to physical host machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 VM image to physical host machine: I have a copy of windows 10 pro on my host machine. I'm planning on getting a larger hard drive for my PC and I'm taking this opportunity to do a fresh install of windows 10. My plan is to run a copy of windows 10 pro in a VM and set it up the way I want with the programs...
  9. VMWARE using physical HDD's - IGNORE invalid Partition table error

VMWARE using physical HDD's - IGNORE invalid Partition table error: Hi folks. Specifically for VMWARE users although the results of using Raw HDD's on VBOX and HYPER-V should be the same - I think the partition error message only applies to VMWARE. If say you want to use entire Linux formatted HDD's on a VM then when adding these as...
  10. Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Use Different Network for Hyper VM vs Host: Is it possible for HyperV to use a different network connection (say wireless) for the VM, while the host machine uses the wired connection? If so, how does one set that up? Thanks! 103534