Windows 10: VMvare Tools install fail on some VM's

Discus and support VMvare Tools install fail on some VM's in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I've been messing around with virtual machines for a couple of months. Lots of fun! Started from scratch without knowing or understanding anything and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Hiatus, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Hiatus Win User

VMvare Tools install fail on some VM's

I've been messing around with virtual machines for a couple of months. Lots of fun!
    Started from scratch without knowing or understanding anything and I got to the stage where I thought I knew everything and then all the way to realizing i understand very little, and still don't know anything...

So, Time to ask someone for help.
    I currently run several different VM's in VMware Workstation 12 after running in to loads of problems with Hyper-V and VirtualBox. I do it mostly for fun and to learn about it. Bought an older workstation just to be able to tinker with different OS and get my dusty computer skills up to date after a couple of years ...

After setting up a couple of different GNU/Linux distros and trying them out, I made a macOS and then a Win10 VM to use as a sandbox.
    All working fine with no problems installing the OS or the VMware tools. Full screen and responsive(-ish) mouse and keyboard input.
    MacOS, Mint, openSUSE and Ubuntu works fine. Win10 and macOS are a bit slow, but I think that's my own fault for setting them up a bit stupid. More on that later...

But then I ran into some problems when it came to installing VMware tools on some of the subsequent OS's I tried out.
    I could not get it running on System 76's pop OS and I've only been able to install VMware tools on one VM running macOS Mojave.
    The error I get is:
    "Could not find component on update server. Contact VMware Support or your system administrator."

I have no idea how i managed to get the tools installed on the one macOS VM that workes 100% and not on the others. I think I just clicked the "install Tools" in the yellow bar at the bottom of the VM screen and it worked that time. Next time I went to do it on a different macOS VM, the "Could not find..."-error popped up and I haven't been able to get it working since. Other OS's are fine and can get Tools installed the "natural" way without any manual downloads.

I've tried to install VMware tools manually by downloading and installing. I can install it, but it doesn't work.
    The forum posts I've read says installing manually, uninstalling and installing again works. For me it doesn't.
    One fix seems to be to install a patch to allow the user to set the screen resolution manually with a sudo command in the terminal. Haven't been able to get that to work either. It takes my commands, processes them, says everything os OK and then does nothing... I've created root-accounts to run it, downloaded patches, fixes and different versions of the VMware tools. I've tried different versions of macOS and tried installing the tools both directly after install and after updating macOS. Tried all the way from Mountain Lion up to Mojave. Nothing works. If I hadn't been able to get it working before it wouldn't be as much of a thorn in my balls. But now?! Well, it keeps me up at night.

So why do I need more than one macOS VM? I don't, really. But I managed to mess up when I setup the fully working macOS VM, and now it's different components are scattered between multiple folders in different directories which makes it quite slow and a pain in the ass to manage...
    Virtual drive split into different pieces, wrong file name, wrong folders, wrong drive... The only thing that's right about it is that it's somehow working.
    I honestly don't know which files belong to the working macOS VM and which doesn't anymore after messing around with this issue for a couple of weeks.
    I want a do-over on my macOS VM install but I'm unable to recreate what I once did and I can't figure out what's different now. I dare not remove the working one until I manage to recreate it...

Any thoughts on this problem?

:)

Hiatus, Mar 3, 2019
  2. Derek12 Win User

Running your Browser in a VM?

• Install VMware Player or Virtualbox, VMware being faster in my experience
    • Create a VM with sufficent RAM HD and all CPU cores
    • Install Ubuntu/Linux Mint/Debian or some lightweight distro with Xcfe or LXDE
    • Install VMware/Virtualbox tools
    • Almost any distro comes with Firefox
    • Install Ublock Origin/Noscript/Ghostery
    • Disable cookies with a whitelist/use private browsing.
    In my experience, running a browser through a VM can slow down scrolling smoothness, video playback and increase ping delay

Derek12, Mar 3, 2019
  3. Account failed logon 4625 on VM guest when clicking the entry of VM guest on failover cluster Manager on VM Host

Issue:

We found a multiple failed logon events on VM guest (evert ID 4625) with account (the account you logon on VM host) when we clicking the entry of VM guest on failover cluster manager console on VM host with Integration servers (Data Exchange) is enabled.

How to reproduce:

1. Check the “Data Exchange” is enabled on a VM guest (Enabled by default, right?)
    2. Open Failover Cluster Manager Console on VM host.
    3. Click the VM guest entry
    4. Then you may found multiple failed logon events on that VM guest.

Reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vi...on-services#hyper-v-data-exchange-service-kvp

Question:

1. Does the multiple failed logons are normal or necessary?
    2. If the failed logons are normal and necessary to be happened and the “Data exchange” function is good to be enabled to gather data from VM guest, any recommendation for us to correct or avoid these failed logon?

Please advise.

Constrain:

We have no chance to use same account and password on VM hosts and VM guests (because all account are managed by password management) and the Audit Policy of Audit Credential Validation must be enabled.

KeithW_911, Mar 3, 2019
  4. chideock Win User

KB4025339 Fails Install 0x80070564

Thanks
    I am trying Eagle 51's suggestions now. Windows Update troubleshooter found a bunch of errors and fixed all but one.The update is trying to download KB4025339 again. I'll see what happens. At step one troubleshooter finishes with one error unresolved "Potential Windows Update Database Error Detected-Not Fixed". Windows update stalled at 0%.

At step 2 same troubleshooter error. The KB finished a new download failed to install.
    Did step 3 KB has downloaded but fails to install.

If Eagle's suggestion doesn't work I'll try EdTittel's suggestion

Tried bothe Eagle & Ed 's suggestions - do not work. Anyone else?

I have noticed that the latest update for my nvidia drivers has failed to update. Wondering about that!

chideock, Mar 3, 2019
Thema:

1. VMvare Tools install fail on some VM's - Similar Threads - VMvare Tools install

2. Installation tool for 10 fails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation tool for 10 fails.: Trying to upgrade windows from 7 to 10. I downloaded the installation toold and created a usb drive. When run it failed with error 0xc19001010x30018. I tried running it on the system and it failed with error 0x800728f0x20000. How do I fix these errors and get the system...
  3. Installation tool for 10 fails.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installation tool for 10 fails.: Trying to upgrade windows from 7 to 10. I downloaded the installation toold and created a usb drive. When run it failed with error 0xc19001010x30018. I tried running it on the system and it failed with error 0x800728f0x20000. How do I fix these errors and get the system...
  4. Installation tool for 10 fails.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Fail to install some programmes

Fail to install some programmes: Hello! I have some installation issues with zoom, spotify , discord etc. . When I tried to install Spotify nothing happened after installing it, there was no app of Spotify. The only solution was to download it from Microsoft Store. What about Zoom... When I install it , it...
  6. Fail to install some programmes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fail to install some programmes: Hello! I have some installation issues with zoom, spotify , discord etc. . When I tried to install Spotify nothing happened after installing it, there was no app of Spotify. The only solution was to download it from Microsoft Store. What about Zoom... When I install it , it...
  7. Hyper-V replica Test failover failing for some VM's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V replica Test failover failing for some VM's: I have server 2012 R2 Hyper-V Replication jobs to an offsite server. I tried to run test-failover on these VM's on these VM's and 3 out of 7 are failing. replication status is showing normal and it is replicating every 5 minutes. The error I get is: Start-VMFailover : Hyper-V...
  8. Hyper-V replica Test failover failing for some VM's

Hyper-V replica Test failover failing for some VM's: I have server 2012 R2 Hyper-V Replication jobs to an offsite server. I tried to run test-failover on these VM's on these VM's and 3 out of 7 are failing. replication status is showing normal and it is replicating every 5 minutes. The error I get is: Start-VMFailover : Hyper-V...
  9. Some updates fail to install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Some updates fail to install: Many of my windows 10 updates are failing to install. Some do, some don't. What can I do about this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-updates-fail-to-install/28b2f2ae-eda5-4d2d-b768-1faa06f73c12
  10. Tor install on some Linux VM's fails with gpg key import error

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Tor install on some Linux VM's fails with gpg key import error: Hi folks those of you using TOR (or want to) on Linux VM's (or hosts for that matter) might come up with problem importing gpg key when installing via the distros package manager. (key too long etc - various errors). Either download source and compile yourself or download...