Windows 10: VMWare 16 on Host Linux with kernel 5.10 / 5.11 Big Fails

Discus and support VMWare 16 on Host Linux with kernel 5.10 / 5.11 Big Fails in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there probably not a Windows per se problem but for those running VMWare V16 on Linux hosts using the latest "hot of the presses" kernels - 5.10 /... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Dec 20, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare 16 on Host Linux with kernel 5.10 / 5.11 Big Fails

Hi there
    probably not a Windows per se problem but for those running VMWare V16 on Linux hosts using the latest "hot of the presses" kernels - 5.10 / 5.11 the latest release of Windows (fast ring) when booting up as a VM incessantly prompts for "please press any key to skip checking "C". OK let it run and after it runs and completes fixing errors it again prompts.

Re-boot the VM --- same problem - but if you hit a key to skip Disk checking the VM (not Host) just freezes.

Now I'm using NVMe driver for the Windows VM -- so I suspect that the VMWare Nvme driver is probably not compatible with Host drivers --I know the Disks are all OK.

Dropping back to kernel 5.9.14 again (current one) everything is fine.

VMWare seems to really get its knickers in big big twists when Linux updates kernels -- as there's a big prep now for kernel 6.0 to be the mainline one soon so these latest 5.XXX ones should be working.

I have absolutely no problems of any kind running Windows Virtual machines using the standard KVM/QEMU Hypervisor - modules just compile and update automatically on kernel updates.

I know a load even here do use Linux HOST machines to run Windows VM's so this is more than pure academic interest IMO.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 20, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels

Hi folks
    If you are using a Linux Host with 5,x kernels e.g Fedora 30 etc

You need to apply a patch to get VMWare to work properly

From your Linux Host run :

wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-h...-15.1.0.tar.gz
    tar -xzf workstation-15.1.0.tar.gz
    cd vmware-host-modules-workstation-15.1.0
    make
    make install

Now re-boot not even needed --just start VMWARE again and it should all work fine (you of course need to have kernel headers with the ability to compile and make (standard dev tools).

Here's image with kernel 5.2.5-200

VMWare 16 on Host Linux with kernel 5.10 / 5.11 Big Fails [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 20, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    probably not a Windows per se problem but for those running VMWare V16 on Linux hosts using the latest "hot of the presses" kernels - 5.10 / 5.11 the latest release of Windows (fast ring) when booting up as a VM incessantly prompts for "please press any key to skip checking "C". OK let it run and after it runs and completes fixing errors it again prompts.

Re-boot the VM --- same problem - but if you hit a key to skip Disk checking the VM (not Host) just freezes.

Now I'm using NVMe driver for the Windows VM -- so I suspect that the VMWare Nvme driver is probably not compatible with Host drivers --I know the Disks are all OK.

Dropping back to kernel 5.9.14 again (current one) everything is fine.

VMWare seems to really get its knickers in big big twists when Linux updates kernels -- as there's a big prep now for kernel 6.0 to be the mainline one soon so these latest 5.XXX ones should be working.

I have absolutely no problems of any kind running Windows Virtual machines using the standard KVM/QEMU Hypervisor - modules just compile and update automatically on kernel updates.

I know a load even here do use Linux HOST machines to run Windows VM's so this is more than pure academic interest IMO.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 20, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare on Host Linux fails on some newer kernels -- work around

Hi folks
    I know some here run Host Linux systems and run Windows VM's using VMWare.

On some distros with kernel 5.7.9 vmware won't install properly --this is because on some distros the kernel headers are back level to the 5.7.7 kernel.

However upgrading to the development version of kernel 5.7.10 with the correct headers allows successful installation of VMWare wks 15.5.6 (and / or VMWare player if you use that)

On Fedora 32 for example simply run this command sudo dnf upgrade --enablerepo=updates-testing --advisory=FEDORA-2020-c0746c5cb5 and reboot the host -- install VMware again and everything works perfectly now - no problem in starting up any of your Windows (or other) VM's again. BTW those that use KVM/QEMU should note that there is no problem in running VM's on VMWare and KVM/QEMU concurrently.

VMWare 16 on Host Linux with kernel 5.10 / 5.11 Big Fails [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Dec 20, 2020
Thema:

1. VMWare 16 on Host Linux with kernel 5.10 / 5.11 Big Fails - Similar Threads - VMWare Host Linux

2. VMWare (15/16) fails to install on Linux Hosts with kernels 5.9.X

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare (15/16) fails to install on Linux Hosts with kernels 5.9.X: Hi folks Those of you with Linux Hosts who use VMWare WKS / Player should note that on a load of distros - e.g Fedora Rawhide with kernels 5.9.X - install fails - primarily due to missing / incompatible header files. KVM /QEMU - though no problem -- "just keeps on Truckin'"....
  3. VMWare on Host Linux fails on some newer kernels -- work around

VMWare on Host Linux fails on some newer kernels -- work around: Hi folks I know some here run Host Linux systems and run Windows VM's using VMWare. On some distros with kernel 5.7.9 vmware won't install properly --this is because on some distros the kernel headers are back level to the 5.7.7 kernel. However upgrading to the development...
  4. Windows freezes, Gears 5 BIG ISSUES

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows freezes, Gears 5 BIG ISSUES: The full main explanation of my issues are on my gears forum post below, PLEASE read It completely if you really care, instead of replying me with "Update your drivers" or something similar. Some weeks ago, when I started playing Gears 5 (Microsoft Store version with Game...
  5. Linux Hosts with 5.3 kernels and VMware 15.5 release

Linux Hosts with 5.3 kernels and VMware 15.5 release: Hi folks I know a few here use Linux Hosts with VMWare and run Windows VM's Some distros have a problem with the latest VMware build - not compiling etc. Arch Linux 5.3 kernel with the VMWare build works perfectly (as do Windows VM's running on it) -- I've several Windows...
  6. VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS

VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS: Hi folks This script (I got from the net somewhere - can't remember though) should fix the problem with VMware and updated kernels when using Linux Hosts put this script in the vmmodules install file - usually this one : /etc/kernel/install.d/99-vmmodules.install...
  7. VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels

VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels: Hi folks If you are using a Linux Host with 5,x kernels e.g Fedora 30 etc You need to apply a patch to get VMWare to work properly From your Linux Host run : wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-h...-15.1.0.tar.gz tar -xzf workstation-15.1.0.tar.gz cd...
  8. Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host

Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host: Hi there. While we are on a Windows Forum I know some people run Linux here - so if you find that Workstation or Player (VMWARE) 11 / 7 doesn't work properly on a LINUX HOST (I've still got problems with Unity and random freezes running Windows 8.1 and 10 guests) then to...
  9. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...
  10. Adobe flash update 5/1/16

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Adobe flash update 5/1/16: MS pushed a flash update to edge and IE11 today. All seems fine on my system so a safe update 36368