Windows 10: VMWARE and Ms to have HYPER-V and Workstation / Player to co-exist

Discus and support VMWARE and Ms to have HYPER-V and Workstation / Player to co-exist in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks I don't normally get involved in what is often perceived as Vaporware but this idea of HYPER-V and VMWARE co-existing is something that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Sep 27, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMWARE and Ms to have HYPER-V and Workstation / Player to co-exist

Hi folks

I don't normally get involved in what is often perceived as Vaporware but this idea of HYPER-V and VMWARE co-existing is something that people have wanted for a long time -- and it looks that the next release of Workstation (16 --not out yet --current release is 15.5) will include this.

If it's true --great stuff -- I'm not a technical enough geek to know about the implications or difficulty of doing this -- but I think in Linux using the KVM Hypervisor you can already run VMWare too. --Need to check as I haven't used KVM for a while now.

Anyway here's the Ms / VMWare link -- and at last it points a decent direction of travel.

VMware Workstation Zealot - Official blog of VMware Workstation - VMware Blogs

scroll down about half way --past the 15.5 announcements and there's also a link too giving further info

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 27, 2019

2. VMware is not working in Windows 10 Home edition due to "Hyper-V role".

I use VMware Workstation Player 14 as a Virtual Machine runner. However, when I try to run a virtual machine, VMware tells me:

VMware Player and Hyper-V are not compatible. Remove the Hyper-V role

from the system before running VMware player.

I know that Windows 10 Home does not have Hyper-V but VMware says it does, and I have not been able to run a virtual machine since.

Can anyone help me?

Finlay Collins, Sep 27, 2019
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Enabling Hyper-V on Windows 10 desktop and laptop

Hyper-V is not available on Home editions. You can use VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player.

BulldogXX, Sep 27, 2019
  4. MAS
    MaS Win User

Hyper V or VMWare?

I previously used VMWare Workstation 10 on Windows 8.1 x64.
    When I uninstalled VMWare Workstation 10 I found the following:
    1. Irreversible changes to Windows 8.1 system setup
    2. A huge number
    of files and folders left on my system that could not be deleted
    I had to format my C:\ drive and re-install Windows 8.1 afresh.

My question now is:
    If I install Hyper-V in Windows 10 Pro x64, will take control of my system and make irreversible changes like VMWare Workstation did?

Thema:

1. VMWARE and Ms to have HYPER-V and Workstation / Player to co-exist - Similar Threads - VMWARE HYPER Workstation

2. Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Hyper-V vs VMWare Workstation pains: I have used Hyper-V in the past on Server 2008 some years back and typically used rdp from another machine to access the VM's. I have a lot more experience over the years using VMWare Workstation (ESX too) as well as VirtualBox. I thought I would give Hyper-V another go...
  3. VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible

in Windows 10 News
    VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you have enabled Hyper-V previously and you are trying to install VMware or any other virtual machine creator, you may confront an error – VMware Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible. Users face such an issue since Windows 10 [...] This post VMware...
  4. Uh-oh! Are Hyper-V Windows 10 and VMware Workstation compatible?

Uh-oh! Are Hyper-V Windows 10 and VMware Workstation compatible?: I came across this today and I really did not delve to deeply but is the gist of this right? that if I have VMware Workstation already installed that I am going to run in to problems creating a VM using Hyper V? TIA. are Hyper-V Windows 10 and VMware Workstation compatible...
  5. VMware workstation 12 player

VMware workstation 12 player: I have used Hyper V mainly, but have given the latest VMware a go. So far I'm liking it. Something it does that Hyper V didn't is allow me to connect USB device. I have not figured out the setting so I can see my host drives though. How do I enable that? [img] 23361
  6. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  7. Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?

Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?: As the title indicated, anybody tried running both successfully on Win 10? I've seen people doing that on Win 8 forum( Solved Hyper V and VMWare on the same machine - Page 2 ), so I'm wondering if this method would work on Win 10... Any help/pointers would be great as I...
  8. HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation

HYPER-V with second level VM running on vmware workstation: Hi there just thought I'd do a Bonkers experiment - works and isn't too slow (but use SSD !!!). Host W10 X-64 PRO with HYPER-V VM1 (ist level VM - 2nd level machine) Linux CENTOS 7 with latest kernel (4.7) VM2 --installed VMware workstation on the Linux machine...
  9. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...
  10. VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice

VMWARE vs HYPER-V - difficult choice: HI there By using the bcedit trick I can run both HYPER-V VM's and VMWARE (not simultaneously though - you have to re-boot). VMWARE has the advantage of not relying on RDP for all communications - RDP could be real slow on a laggy network. You can get better response by...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. KB4517211 VMware