Windows 10: VMWare (Bridged networking) 15.X and Samba 4.11 X with Windows 10 Fail

Discus and support VMWare (Bridged networking) 15.X and Samba 4.11 X with Windows 10 Fail in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there with SAMBA 4.11.X and Windows 10 VM's I can't access any non windows NAS (unless specific via IP address) whatever level of SMB is set -- the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 28, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare (Bridged networking) 15.X and Samba 4.11 X with Windows 10 Fail

Hi there

with SAMBA 4.11.X and Windows 10 VM's I can't access any non windows NAS (unless specific via IP address) whatever level of SMB is set -- the W10 machines can connect and share perfectly whether SMB1 is enabled or not.

With SAMBA 4.10.X - there's no problem -- I still need SMB1 as I use KODI V 17.6 on 3 amazon firesticks feeding into 3 remote TV's / Sound systems and some other devices which still need SMB1 to retrieve multi media from Windows laptops, and NAS.

I found KODI V 18.X which does support SMB3 etc) doesn't always play video properly and VLC on a firestick is still too unreliable for network connections.

I tested switching OS's on a NAS to fedora 31 -- same problem, fedora 30 -- SAMBA OK, ubuntu samba broken so restored NAS with SAMBA 4.10.x and everything working again.

So those that use mixed environments and use SAMBA for the Non Windows part might find some connectivity problems.
    My feel is that on a HOME LAN the use of SMB1 isn't a problem -- the people who seem the most paranoid about the security (or lack of it) are probably professional I.T workers where security on Work / corporate type LANS is much more of an issue. These days on HOME systems in any case you are much more likely to get scammed than hacked in any case and usually that can be far worse --e.g money stolen from Banks etc etc.

Added -- problem isn't solved by using NAT networking in VMWare either.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

with SAMBA 4.11.X and Windows 10 VM's I can't access any non windows NAS (unless specific via IP address) whatever level of SMB is set -- the W10 machines can connect and share perfectly whether SMB1 is enabled or not.

With SAMBA 4.10.X - there's no problem -- I still need SMB1 as I use KODI V 17.6 on 3 amazon firesticks feeding into 3 remote TV's / Sound systems and some other devices which still need SMB1 to retrieve multi media from Windows laptops, and NAS.

I found KODI V 18.X which does support SMB3 etc) doesn't always play video properly and VLC on a firestick is still too unreliable for network connections.

I tested switching OS's on a NAS to fedora 31 -- same problem, fedora 30 -- SAMBA OK, ubuntu samba broken so restored NAS with SAMBA 4.10.x and everything working again.

So those that use mixed environments and use SAMBA for the Non Windows part might find some connectivity problems.
    My feel is that on a HOME LAN the use of SMB1 isn't a problem -- the people who seem the most paranoid about the security (or lack of it) are probably professional I.T workers where security on Work / corporate type LANS is much more of an issue. These days on HOME systems in any case you are much more likely to get scammed than hacked in any case and usually that can be far worse --e.g money stolen from Banks etc etc.

Added -- problem isn't solved by using NAT networking in VMWare either.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 29, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity

Hi folks
    I posted in the VM section but as a lot run NAS servers / Linux OS's I'll repeat the info as some don't use the VM section.

You might find that after an update to SAMBA 4.8.X (4.7.x is ok and needs no change) that you lose connectivity, can't see your network from the NAS side or even get an error when re-starting SAMBA especially when using SMB1 for connectivity.

The max protocol = SMB1 in the samba/conf file has now been deprecated -- you have to change the SMB1 to NT1 and then it all works again.

I've got the example shown in my post : Samba v 4.8.x and connectivity (SMB1 / NAS etc) Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 29, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

SAMBA 4.11.x Bugs- shares not reachable inc Windows --fixes

Hi folks

3 Get arounds to the Samba V4.11.x version(s) not showing (or serving) shares.

1) on "downgradeable" Linux / NAS systems downgrade 4 packages to samba 4.10.10-2, smbclient 4.10.10-2, libwbclient 4.10.10-2, ldb 1.5.6-2 (e.g samba,smbclient,libwbclient,ldb)

2) when upgrading block upgrade to these packages

3) on some systems undocumented (or hard to find) this could work --in the [global] section of smb.conf ( the configuration file) specify this : client min protocol = CORE --didn't work on my machine though.

This exposes a risk but some older NAS and other non windows things still use SMB1

I'm sure that because SAMBA is so widely used a proper fix will come out soon -- but given the COV-19 stuff who knows when teams working on these things are fully operational again.

Working with downgraded Samba with newest kernel and rest of system :

VMWare (Bridged networking) 15.X and Samba 4.11 X with Windows 10 Fail [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 29, 2020
Thema:

1. VMWare (Bridged networking) 15.X and Samba 4.11 X with Windows 10 Fail - Similar Threads - VMWare Bridged networking

2. Bridging networks in VMware Pro 16

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Bridging networks in VMware Pro 16: So basically what I want to do is to have 2 internet connections available, 1st one being for example my mobile network connection, and second one my cable network connection that is connected to my router. I want the mobile network to be connected on the PC, and cable...
  3. VMWare (15/16) fails to install on Linux Hosts with kernels 5.9.X

VMWare (15/16) fails to install on Linux Hosts with kernels 5.9.X: Hi folks Those of you with Linux Hosts who use VMWare WKS / Player should note that on a load of distros - e.g Fedora Rawhide with kernels 5.9.X - install fails - primarily due to missing / incompatible header files. KVM /QEMU - though no problem -- "just keeps on Truckin'"....
  4. VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels

VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels: Hi folks If you are using a Linux Host with 5,x kernels e.g Fedora 30 etc You need to apply a patch to get VMWare to work properly From your Linux Host run : wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-h...-15.1.0.tar.gz tar -xzf workstation-15.1.0.tar.gz cd...
  5. VMware Bridged network not working or detecting in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    VMware Bridged network not working or detecting in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you are trying to connect your virtual machine to a local area network computer, but it is not working, or the Bridged network is not working in VMware, here are some solutions you can use to fix this problem. [...] This post VMware Bridged network not...
  6. NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity: Hi folks I posted in the VM section but as a lot run NAS servers / Linux OS's I'll repeat the info as some don't use the VM section. You might find that after an update to SAMBA 4.8.X (4.7.x is ok and needs no change) that you lose connectivity, can't see your network from...
  7. Intel Active Management Technology 9.x/10.x/11.x/12.x Advisory

in Windows 10 News
    Intel Active Management Technology 9.x/10.x/11.x/12.x Advisory: Intel ID: INTEL-SA-00141 Advisory Category: Firmware Impact of vulnerability: Denial of Service, Information Disclosure Severity rating: HIGH Original release: 09/11/2018 Last revised: 09/11/2018 Summary: Multiple potential security vulnerabilities in Intel® Active...
  8. "Windows 10 install failed "X

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    "Windows 10 install failed "X: Hi, after endless error notices ( you call it, I have had it !!) . I have tried so many "helpful" remedies from all the kind helpful people out there in our community and on you tube. Couldn't update or remove my old updates defender blocked from starting and a few other...
  9. vmware release 12.5.0 fails on Bridged networking from Wifi host

vmware release 12.5.0 fails on Bridged networking from Wifi host: Hi there not a big problem but if my HOST has a wifi connection to the internet then a VM (or at least Networking) )doesn't work when enabling BRIDGED networking (NAT works OK but I need Bridged !!)) If I connect the host to my internet via Ethernet or to a...
  10. Does VMware Bridged networking work?

Does VMware Bridged networking work?: I'm just wondering if it works to connect to the internet in VMs, if yes I might aswell just try it out. 4385