Windows 10: VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's

Discus and support VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there clicking the 3D / hardware acceleration doesn't always work to get hardware acceleration and 3D to work on VM's with Linux hosts. A "get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Nov 15, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's

Hi there
    clicking the 3D / hardware acceleration doesn't always work to get hardware acceleration and 3D to work on VM's with Linux hosts.

A "get around" that usually works is to manually add this line to the .vmx (VMWare configuration file) :

mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "TRUE"

Sometimes - particularly on Intel the video drivers are blacklisted due to possible instability -- can't say I've ever experienced that problem myself though.

Ensure this line is also present (should be if you click the 3D box but if it isn't add it) :

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 15, 2019
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Enable 3D / hardware acceleration in VM (VMware)

Hi folks
    add to the vmware config file (or ~/.vmware/preferences if on Linux Host) the following line :

Note - you might have to also ensure MESA (Linux Host) is installed or correct graphics driver if you have it.
    In the VM config screen also check the box on display - enable 3d graphics

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 15, 2019
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    VMWare enable 3D and hardware acceleration on Windows Guest VM's

Hi there
    If when using a Linux host with VMWare you find you get messages on Windows VM's saying 3D and Hardware acceleration not supported even when you've ticked the enable 3d box in the edit VM configuration from the VMWare menu simply add these 2 lines to the .vmx VM config file with any decent text editor and re-start the VM.

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

be careful though because the mks.enable3d line might already exist -- so in that case only add the allow blacklisted drivers line -- duplicate entries will render the VM inoperative !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 15, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Hi there

This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts.

1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on
    2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in your distro.
    3) reboot the host
    4) power on the W10 VM
    5) install VMware tools
    6) re-start the W10 again

Solved -- now Unity is working !!!

Here's mine running W10 on Centos 7 Host - Menu shown and EXCEL 2010 on the CENTOS desktop. Menu auto hides - just mouse point top left hand corner of screen. Brilliant way of running Windows VM's -- I think the whole Unity mode has been vastly underplayed - especially when you have several monitors !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 15, 2019
Thema:

1. VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's - Similar Threads - VMWare enabling acceleratio

2. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  3. Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS: Hi folks If you are playing around with KVM Hosts and want Windows VM's to have host access without going through all problems of creating bridges (not supported via KVM on WIFI anyway) here's a simple way to do it : The method works by defining a "Virtual network" and a...
  4. VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks

VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks: Hi folks on Windows latest VMWare releases (>15.5.6 ) allow the use of an NVme driver -- works super well on bog standard SSD's too. For Windows VM's -- no problem just install your VM. However there's a catch when installing a Linux distro from a live distro (those that...
  5. Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors

Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors: Hi Virtual Machine user Geeks !!! You can convert Windows VMWare VM's to run on KVM or XEN --- these are 2 of the Linux HYPERVISORS equivalent to HYPER-V on Windows. For XEN (although KVM these days is the preferred method) : If you are using a Linux Host and have Windows...
  6. VMWare enable 3D and hardware acceleration on Windows Guest VM's

VMWare enable 3D and hardware acceleration on Windows Guest VM's: Hi there If when using a Linux host with VMWare you find you get messages on Windows VM's saying 3D and Hardware acceleration not supported even when you've ticked the enable 3d box in the edit VM configuration from the VMWare menu simply add these 2 lines to the .vmx VM...
  7. Enable 3D / hardware acceleration in VM (VMware)

Enable 3D / hardware acceleration in VM (VMware): Hi folks add to the vmware config file (or ~/.vmware/preferences if on Linux Host) the following line : mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "TRUE" Note - you might have to also ensure MESA (Linux Host) is installed or correct graphics driver if you have it. In the VM config...
  8. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  9. vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar

vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar: Hi there W10 X-64 pro (build 10547) and vmware workstation rel 12 - in full screen mode can't launch apps from taskbar. Works fine in Windowed mode This happens on LINUX Hosts - (Opensuse, Centos and Mint) Cheers jimbo 23751
  10. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...