Windows 10: VMware - Force VM to use "Internal" Virtual Nic and not installed Nic

Discus and support VMware - Force VM to use "Internal" Virtual Nic and not installed Nic in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Anybody know how to get VMware to use its own Virtual NIC for Windows rather than the hardware Nic's / Wifi Nic's when VM's are running on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 14, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMware - Force VM to use "Internal" Virtual Nic and not installed Nic

Hi there

Anybody know how to get VMware to use its own Virtual NIC for Windows rather than the hardware Nic's / Wifi Nic's when VM's are running on the same machine as the Host.

I've got HOST W10 PRO
    Two VM's -- centos and Linux Mint running on same local machine as the Host.

Windows-> to either of the Linux machines or either of the Linux machines to windows - Max data transfer I get is about 12 MB/s (50 Mib/s). That's about right for the wifi adapter I'm using.

Strange thing is from VM1 to VM2 (or the other way around) data transfer from the SAME HDD is around 80 MB/s (320 Mib/s) or so -- so nearly 7 (yes SEVEN) times faster.

Seems Windows wants to use the physical hardware nic while the Linux machines are using "Virtual Ethernet adapter" 1 Gib/s which is what I want. I.e Disk I/O through computers I/O bus and not via networking.

Must be something in Windows setting for this - note I can't use Host only networking as I want all 3 machines to be able to access each other.

Any ideas folks.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 14, 2017
  2. Todd_S_88 Win User

CALL-LEVEL INTERFACE- USING IP ADDRESS

You are correct that the Guest VM is connecting through the Ethernet 2 adapter. When VMWare/VMWorkstation is installed on a computer it will create virtual network adapters off the physical NIC on the computer. This is what allows you to do certain things
    like create multiple virtual subnets for your VMs. This is particularly useful in lab setups but for other reasons as well. The IP address shows up as 192.168.74.1 in the command because that is the IP of the virtual adapter on the
    host computer.

As for changing the IP address of the guest VM that is a matter of preference, but I would not recommend setting it to 192.168.74.254 as that appears to be the address of the DHCP server the host machine got it's IP address from, and that could create a
    conflict. Otherwise in a setup like that changing the IP address to something else wouldn't offer any real advantage.

Todd_S_88, Feb 14, 2017
  3. HP2294 Win User
    Hyper-V host cannot RDP into local clients running in an internal network

I have installed Hyper-V on my Windows 10 machine and are running a few different test machines on it. My test machines have two Nics -- One is disabled and primarily used when I need them to connect with the internet for various downloads etc. The other
    Nic is connected to an internal switch on the host with hardcoded IP's allowing the VMs to always communicate with each other.

My problem is when I attempt to RDP into the VMs from the host machine I am not able to reach them. IF I log into the machines first through the Hyper-V console and toggle a Nic (i.e. disable/enable one of the nics) I am able to RDP into the VM until it
    is rebooted again (My host is a laptop so they are being shutdown nightly).

I did mess around with the network settings on a previous setup and had it working -- but I am unable to reproduce the same settings. Currently the host is all "auto" setup by the system with three switches:

• External linked to my Wireless Nic
    • External Linked to my Physical Nic
    • Internal switch used for the VM's communicate amongst each other
    Any ideas on what network settings I am missing that will allow me to connect to the VM's instantly through an RDP connection? (I can console connect but prefer using RDCMan).

Thanks,

HP

HP2294, Feb 14, 2017
  4. pparks1 Win User

2019058, check out that kb article from vmware.

pparks1, Feb 14, 2017
  5. sml156 Win User
    sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. VMware - Force VM to use "Internal" Virtual Nic and not installed Nic - Similar Threads - VMware Force Internal

2. Force nic card to use existing network profile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Force nic card to use existing network profile: Hello,On one Windows 10 computer, I would like to force network card to use existing registry network profile.I tried to remove actual new one to check if network card will used old one but it create automatically a new network profile.Network profiles are stored in registry...
  3. Force nic card to use existing network profile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Force nic card to use existing network profile: Hello,On one Windows 10 computer, I would like to force network card to use existing registry network profile.I tried to remove actual new one to check if network card will used old one but it create automatically a new network profile.Network profiles are stored in registry...
  4. Force nic card to use existing network profile

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. NIC control

NIC control: I have 2 network cards installed, how do I connect to a network drive using the card that is not on the internet, keeping my files seperate from internet. network 2 is connected to internet. I want to use NAS drives on network 1 but there is no dhcp to address the drives?...
  6. Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC

Connect to Internet using LAN NIC, but print using WIFI NIC: I have a interesting situation. We work in a large building where I lease a smaller office space. Internet is provided to all of my 4 employees but we are not connected on one "Private" network . (The building provides internet thru wired NIC). So we are unable to share...
  7. Nic Name

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Nic Name: Brit lee https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nic-name/433d7a90-1757-463a-9665-c81a85493ec4"
  8. Benchmark NIC?

Benchmark NIC?: Hi, is there some way to consistently benchmark your NIC so one can try out different settings (offload etc) and see what works best? I am trying Psping, but it's very weird, if i have chrome opened it works faster then if it's not opened etc, which makes no sense....
  9. Teaming NICS ?

Teaming NICS ?: How do you assign matrix as without it only one will be used and its also no good unless the nic has a cpu which can handle the traffic instead of the pc or the bottle neck will be the pc. Using basic broadband on gigabyte nic one should have no problems at Barclays we ran...
  10. Windows uses wrong NIC in a dual NIC setup, Ignores metric at times.

Windows uses wrong NIC in a dual NIC setup, Ignores metric at times.: Hi! I have a question that I can't find the answer for, I've been searching like crazy but keep finding the same responses which have in my case proven useless. The situation is this: I have one router and one computer, the computer has two network interface cards...