Windows 10: VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks

Discus and support VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks on Windows latest VMWare releases (>15.5.6 ) allow the use of an NVme driver -- works super well on bog standard SSD's too. For Windows VM's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jul 28, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks

Hi folks
    on Windows latest VMWare releases (>15.5.6 ) allow the use of an NVme driver -- works super well on bog standard SSD's too.

For Windows VM's -- no problem just install your VM.

However there's a catch when installing a Linux distro from a live distro (those that give you the option to "Install to hard disk").

What you have to do is to make the HDD "Writeable" otherwise some linux distros won't install as there's no HDD to install on !!!.

to do that do the following (In the VM of course)

1) sudo mkdir /mnt/test
    2) make any file system on the nvme disk -- e.g mkfs.ext4 -f /dev/<nvme0xx> where vnm etc is the device nr of the nvme disk -- to get the device nr simpy type lsblk which lists all the "block" devices in the system i.e HDD's, USB sticks, DVD's etc.
    3) mount /dev/<nvme0xx> -t auto -o rw /mnt/test
    4) sudo chown -R liveuser /mnt/test (or whatever user is assigned to the "liveuser")

now your install will have write access and should proceed just fine

VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 28, 2020
  2. Derek12 Win User

Running your Browser in a VM?

• Install VMware Player or Virtualbox, VMware being faster in my experience
    • Create a VM with sufficent RAM HD and all CPU cores
    • Install Ubuntu/Linux Mint/Debian or some lightweight distro with Xcfe or LXDE
    • Install VMware/Virtualbox tools
    • Almost any distro comes with Firefox
    • Install Ublock Origin/Noscript/Ghostery
    • Disable cookies with a whitelist/use private browsing.
    In my experience, running a browser through a VM can slow down scrolling smoothness, video playback and increase ping delay

Derek12, Jul 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

Thanks. This helped but only partly.

NVMe disk is now listed in choose-disk step but installer says that its unable to install WIndows on this disk because it has MBR partition. Windows can only be installed on GPT disks in EFI systems.

What should i do now ?

WojciechCe, Jul 28, 2020
  4. VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks

Can we run Windows 10 on a VMWare VM?

my company would like to use Windows on a VMWare Vm. The host is a VMWAre server and we don't care which Windows version we use except that the VM will be configured with 2 CPU and 1 TB of disk and single user.

I hear tell that Windows 10 USB would work but has anyone actually had experience doinf this pleasE?

thanks heaps

norm

normanwheatley, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks

1. VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks - Similar Threads - VMWare installing Linux

2. Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare: Hello there, I'm trying to run a windows VM (tried 7 and 10) with 64-bit on virtualbox. But it stucks in the "starting windows" screen (very unsmoothly animations). The vm's specs are: 8GB RAM, 2 CPUs, 128MB VRAM (Max), 32GB VHD (should be enough). All the other settings...
  3. VMWare 15.5.6 fixes 1920 X 1080 resolution on Linux VM's

VMWare 15.5.6 fixes 1920 X 1080 resolution on Linux VM's: Hi there On some Linux distros as VM's it's been impossible to get standard 16:9 full HD (1920 X 1080p) video resolution. Seems to be properly working again now after the latest (VMware) update. Fedora 32 VM under Host W10 build 331 [img] Cheers jimbo 159744
  4. Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation

Esxi - Linux VM itself running VMWare Workstation: Hi there @johnnyZ Here's a screenshot of an Arch Linux system running as a VM on ESXI 5.7 (Esxi is the HOST OS) with the arch linux kernel at 5.3.11 and this VM running VMWare workstation -- so in theory your VM's could easily use any VMWare VM images from USB devices while...
  5. VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's

VMWare - enabling 3D and HW acceleratio(Linux Hosts with Windows VM's: Hi there clicking the 3D / hardware acceleration doesn't always work to get hardware acceleration and 3D to work on VM's with Linux hosts. A "get around" that usually works is to manually add this line to the .vmx (VMWare configuration file) : mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers...
  6. Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors

Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors: Hi Virtual Machine user Geeks !!! You can convert Windows VMWare VM's to run on KVM or XEN --- these are 2 of the Linux HYPERVISORS equivalent to HYPER-V on Windows. For XEN (although KVM these days is the preferred method) : If you are using a Linux Host and have Windows...
  7. VMware how to delete disks from HOST (not the VM)

VMware how to delete disks from HOST (not the VM): Hi folks there's plenty of info about removing a Virtual disk from a VMware VM but this just removes the virtual HDD from the VM but doesn't actually delete it from your Host disk. What you have to do is go into the VM file itself for the VM and once you've ascertained which...
  8. Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware

Future of VM's - KVM, Windows and Vmware: Hi Folks I thought this is a reasoned (for once) and decently written informative article --not a sales pitch that we so often get from "Pseudo Technical" articles written in such places like PC magazine etc. Anyway enjoy -- you don't have to agree with it but I found...
  9. vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar

vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar: Hi there W10 X-64 pro (build 10547) and vmware workstation rel 12 - in full screen mode can't launch apps from taskbar. Works fine in Windowed mode This happens on LINUX Hosts - (Opensuse, Centos and Mint) Cheers jimbo 23751
  10. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...