Windows 10: VMware memory & disk space

Discus and support VMware memory & disk space in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Instead of dual booting, I am considering using VMware Player on Windows 10 in order to run Linux. I have not used VMware before and am looking for a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by MikeinGrange, Jan 2, 2017.

1. VMware memory & disk space

Instead of dual booting, I am considering using VMware Player on Windows 10 in order to run Linux. I have not used VMware before and am looking for a little guidance from those who are already experienced with it.
    I may allocate, say, 4 GB of memory and 30 GB of disk space for Linux. The installation will begin by erasing and then formatting the allocated disk space as ext4.
    Am I correct in assuming that when the VM session has terminated, the 4 GB of memory will be returned to Windows and the disk space reserved by VM will be then 34 GB? Also, if I later uninstall VMware, will all of its disk space be returned to Windows in NTFS format?

:)

MikeinGrange, Jan 2, 2017
  2. JPN23233 Win User

Insufficient Memory Errors Windows 10

I just took the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703. Now I am receiving "insufficient memory" errors although I am running only one program - a virtual machine connection (VMWare Horizon). Windows appears to be shutting down the VMWare connection
    - I'm getting kicked off. Task manager looks like I have plenty of memory space while VMWare is running (i.e., VMWare is taking ~24% of memory and less than than for CPU). Any known solutions?

JPN23233, Jan 2, 2017
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    How do I disable Windows 10 updates on a low memory notebook ?

Two points:

1. You say "low memory notebook," but what you mean is low disk space, not memory.
    The term "memory" is used to refer to the place where the computer holds the program and data it is working with at the moment. It's normally random access memory (RAM), but that can be extended with the page or swap file on the hard disk.
    The word "memory" is never used to refer to the space on a drive (whether that's a hard drive, diskette, CD, DVD, or thumb drive). Space on a disk drive is normally called "storage" or simply "disk space."

Calling disk space "memory" isn't so much wrong as just unconventional. In a sense, disk space is, of course, memory, but the important thing to realize is that the word is never used that way, and if you do so, you do it at the risk of seriously confusing
    your audience.

2. There are various things you can do when you are low on disk space, but they are all essentially only stopgap measures, and the problem will quickly return. The only real solution to your problem is to buy another, considerably bigger hard
    drive. Fortunately they are very inexpensive these days.

Ken Blake, Jan 2, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

VMware memory & disk space

The RAM you allocate to a vm is taken from your host RAM when vm is started, and returned to host when you shut it down or turn it off. If you have let's say 8 GB RAM on your host machine, the computer you use to setup and host a virtual machine, and you assign 4 GB RAM to your Linux vm, when it's running your host has 4 GB at its disposal, the other 4 GB being used by the vm.

When you shut down the vm, it does no longer need the assigned RAM which is then returned to host which now has the full 8 GB on its disposal.

The disk space used by your Linux vm's virtual hard disk is always that 30 GB you gave it when creating the vm if and only if you chose to use a fixed size virtual hard disk. Another option, default in most virtualization applications is a dynamically expanding virtual hard disk (VHD).

When creating a vm with a dynamically expanding VHD, you set the maximum size to that VHD, how much you will allow it to expand. The file size on hard disk of your host computer is after installation of an OS only that what the OS needs, then when you use it more, install software and so on, the file size of the VHD grows until it reaches the maximum size.

For instance, file size of a Windows 10 vm with a dynamically expanding VHD of 128 GB is just after a clean install around 10 GB. It takes only this 10 GB space on your host hard disk. Gradually when you use this vm more, install Office and / or other software, the VHD file gets larger and larger until it reaches 128 GB.

Uninstalling software does not shrink a dynamically expanding VHD. It can only grow.

Here an extract from my virtual hard disks folder:

VMware memory & disk space [​IMG]

The vm Win10 IP x64 EN-GB has a one terabyte dynamically expanding VHD, but as I have just set it up and preparing to use it for creating a deployment image and only installed some basic software, the VHD file size on my host is only 34 GB. Yet, when I run this vm it sees the hard drive as 1 TB.

Kari, Jan 2, 2017
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Being that you have never used VMWare Player before, you may want to take a look at this tutorial for some general information on using it, and watch the video to see how to install an OS. This helped me in my first foray into using VMs, until I got a Pro license for Windows so I could use Hyper-V.
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Plus on that tutorial thread, if you have any questions, @Brink and @essenbe can help there.
    If you plan on using Ubuntu or any other Linux distro, VMWare Player is the better choice.

Cliff S, Jan 2, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Being that you have never used VMWare Player before, you may want to take a look at this tutorial for some general information on using it, and watch the video to see how to install an OS. This helped me in my first foray into using VMs, until I got a Pro license for Windows so I could use Hyper-V.
    VMware Player - Install Windows 10

Plus on that tutorial thread, if you have any questions, @Brink and @essenbe can help there.
    If you plan on using Ubuntu or any other Linux distro, VMWare Player is the better choice.

Cliff S, Jan 2, 2017
  7. Many thanks to Kari and Cliff S for the helpful responses. I will study carefully the suggested tutorial. I will be using Linux Mint.
    Still outstanding is my final question:
    If I later uninstall VMware, will all of its disk space be returned to Windows in NTFS format?

8. Kari Win User

Removing / deleting a virtual hard disk file is like removing any other file; when a let's say 30 GB VHD file is deleted, the host HDD has 30 GB more free space. The file system is irrelevant, even if your Linux vm sees the VHD as ext4, for Windows host it's just another file in NTFS.

Kari, Jan 2, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    The vhd is a single file on host and is stored as an ntfs file. You are not a actually storing files in ext4 format. All you are doing is storing data in a file which is interpreted as a drive but it is just a clever emulation. So if you delete the vhd, your returned space is still ntfs.

cereberus, Jan 2, 2017
  10. Now I see clearly. Many thanks Kari and cereberus.

11. pparks1 Win User
    Also, you likely aren't going to have to dedicate 4GB of RAM to a Linux box unless you plan to do something pretty intensive. Most of my Linux VM's run with 512MB or 1GB. Rarely do they ever need more.

pparks1, Jan 2, 2017
  12. Kari Win User
    Good point.

Ubuntu or Mint desktop runs pretty well with 512 MB, I use 1 GB on my CentOS and OpenSUSE Hyper-V virtual machines. Never had an issue.

13. cereberus Win User

Doesn't it only use the memory if it actually needs it?

cereberus, Jan 2, 2017
  14. Kari Win User
    I don't use dynamic RAM with Linux virtual machines, so they are always using the amount assigned to them.

15. CountMike New Member
    And also don't forget setting for number of cores allocated to a VM. Number of cores and amount of RAM dedicated to guest system may also depend on how much and for what you will do in Windows at same time VM runs.
    I for one, use Linux Mint almost exclusively when I run it in VM and give him 4 cores and 4GB of RAM, seem much happier than with default one core and 1GB of RAM.

CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. VMware memory & disk space - Similar Threads - VMware memory disk

2. VMware Workstation and Memory integrity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VMware Workstation and Memory integrity: Since I discovered Memory integrity feature in Windows Security I have left it always enabled. But sometimes I should turn it off by rebooting my PC in order to work with virtual machines. I tried to enable hypervisor and VM-related components in Control Panel as it described...
  3. VMware Workstation and Memory integrity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VMware Workstation and Memory integrity: Since I discovered Memory integrity feature in Windows Security I have left it always enabled. But sometimes I should turn it off by rebooting my PC in order to work with virtual machines. I tried to enable hypervisor and VM-related components in Control Panel as it described...
  4. VMware Workstation and Memory integrity

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. High CPU DIsk space memory issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU DIsk space memory issue.: HI All,Could you please help me here. I am facing issues with Memory, CPU, Disk. every time my disk is going to 100%.I am not using chrome, Skype and stopped all super services.I have 384GB free space in C: Drive.Please suggest me here.Thanks,Siva...
  6. High CPU DIsk space memory issue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    High CPU DIsk space memory issue.: HI All,Could you please help me here. I am facing issues with Memory, CPU, Disk. every time my disk is going to 100%.I am not using chrome, Skype and stopped all super services.I have 384GB free space in C: Drive.Please suggest me here.Thanks,Siva...
  7. High CPU DIsk space memory issue.

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Extend OS Disk Memory with Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Extend OS Disk Memory with Unallocated Space: Hello Microsoft Team, I recently nuked my Image partition in my SSD which freed up 12GB of Space. The total space of SSD is 256GB. My current OS volume only shows 222 GB as total available OS memory. [ATTACH] Now I would like to add the unallocated space to the OS volume...
  9. Persistent Disk Space and Memory Issues.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Persistent Disk Space and Memory Issues.: I have an HP Omen gaming laptop. Before I get into the issue I've been facing, I'm going to list some information about my device below just in case it could be of use: System Model: OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc0xxx System Type: x64-based PC Processor: IntelR CoreTM i7-8750H...
  10. Disk or memory space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk or memory space: Over the past months, my laptop has had trouble with the disk and/or the memory space being at 100%. It slows down my computer to where nothing opens, even task manager and if it does the program sticks....