Windows 10: VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels

Discus and support VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks If you are using a Linux Host with 5,x kernels e.g Fedora 30 etc You need to apply a patch to get VMWare to work properly From your Linux... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Aug 6, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels

Hi folks
    If you are using a Linux Host with 5,x kernels e.g Fedora 30 etc

You need to apply a patch to get VMWare to work properly

From your Linux Host run :

wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-h...-15.1.0.tar.gz
    tar -xzf workstation-15.1.0.tar.gz
    cd vmware-host-modules-workstation-15.1.0
    make
    make install

Now re-boot not even needed --just start VMWARE again and it should all work fine (you of course need to have kernel headers with the ability to compile and make (standard dev tools).

Here's image with kernel 5.2.5-200

VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 6, 2019
  2. OneMoar Win User

Exquisitely sensitive stability testing - the linux kernel!

its not advisable to argue with a Wizzard he might turn you into a toad
    and no one runs stress tests under linux
    unless Linux is there main os .... and who runs Linux as there main os .... no one /trolling the linux kernel is not a TOOL for anything its a Kernel ... I suggest you go read up on the subject windows has a Kernel to and its far more sensitive to OC faults then Linux
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computing)

OneMoar, Aug 6, 2019
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    New Windows 10 Insider Preview Skip Ahead Build 18845 (20H1) -Feb. 28 Insider

Hi there
    @martyfelker

on Linux Vmware probably won't work with kernel 5.X as the gcc compiler, libraries (glibc etc) and the headers won't be correct -- it all works OK with kernel release 4.2.X as libraries are at correct level -- kernel 5.X is just too new even though it's an upgraded 4.2.X one -- if you want to perservere with it "poodlefake" the headers on 5.X to think it's running 4.x kernel -- this *might* work but I don't tinker with that sort of stuff any more !!!

My probs with VMWare seem to be all on Windows HOSTS and only on these builds. I don't have problems running these builds as VM's either on Linux Hosts or Windows (Hosts standard / current version not these ones).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 6, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

vmware Linux HOST W10 VM can't launch apps from taskbar

Hi there

W10 X-64 pro (build 10547) and vmware workstation rel 12 - in full screen mode can't launch apps from taskbar.

Works fine in Windowed mode

This happens on LINUX Hosts - (Opensuse, Centos and Mint)

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

1. VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels - Similar Threads - VMWare Linux Host

2. VMWare 16 on Host Linux with kernel 5.10 / 5.11 Big Fails

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare 16 on Host Linux with kernel 5.10 / 5.11 Big Fails: Hi there probably not a Windows per se problem but for those running VMWare V16 on Linux hosts using the latest "hot of the presses" kernels - 5.10 / 5.11 the latest release of Windows (fast ring) when booting up as a VM incessantly prompts for "please press any key to skip...
  3. VMWare WKS / Player - what currently works on Linux Hosts

VMWare WKS / Player - what currently works on Linux Hosts: Hi folks what Linux Host distros are anybody using where current versions of VMWare WKS / Player really work . Please specify distro and kernel (simply from the linux console type uname -r -- you don't need sudo or su) . I've tried a few with kernel 5.9.xx and BIG fail !!...
  4. VMWare (15/16) fails to install on Linux Hosts with kernels 5.9.X

VMWare (15/16) fails to install on Linux Hosts with kernels 5.9.X: Hi folks Those of you with Linux Hosts who use VMWare WKS / Player should note that on a load of distros - e.g Fedora Rawhide with kernels 5.9.X - install fails - primarily due to missing / incompatible header files. KVM /QEMU - though no problem -- "just keeps on Truckin'"....
  5. VMWare on Host Linux fails on some newer kernels -- work around

VMWare on Host Linux fails on some newer kernels -- work around: Hi folks I know some here run Host Linux systems and run Windows VM's using VMWare. On some distros with kernel 5.7.9 vmware won't install properly --this is because on some distros the kernel headers are back level to the 5.7.7 kernel. However upgrading to the development...
  6. Linux Hosts with 5.3 kernels and VMware 15.5 release

Linux Hosts with 5.3 kernels and VMware 15.5 release: Hi folks I know a few here use Linux Hosts with VMWare and run Windows VM's Some distros have a problem with the latest VMware build - not compiling etc. Arch Linux 5.3 kernel with the VMWare build works perfectly (as do Windows VM's running on it) -- I've several Windows...
  7. VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS

VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS: Hi folks This script (I got from the net somewhere - can't remember though) should fix the problem with VMware and updated kernels when using Linux Hosts put this script in the vmmodules install file - usually this one : /etc/kernel/install.d/99-vmmodules.install...
  8. Linux Mint 19.X not installable on Winows Host with VMWare

Linux Mint 19.X not installable on Winows Host with VMWare: Hi folks seem to be having a bit of trouble with VMWare currently with these VM's 1) Skip ahead - latest Windows build won't run in Bridged Network Mode whether on Linux or Windows Host. Previous Windows builds --OK. 2) On Linux HOSTS Kernels 5.X need a patch and then...
  9. Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host

Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host: Hi there. While we are on a Windows Forum I know some people run Linux here - so if you find that Workstation or Player (VMWARE) 11 / 7 doesn't work properly on a LINUX HOST (I've still got problems with Unity and random freezes running Windows 8.1 and 10 guests) then to...
  10. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...