Windows 10: Vmware or virtualbox?

Discus and support Vmware or virtualbox? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have tested out vmware workstation and virtualbox and can't decide which is best, can you help me? 3559 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Kesto, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Kesto Win User

Vmware or virtualbox?

I have tested out vmware workstation and virtualbox and can't decide which is best, can you help me?

:)

Kesto, Jan 14, 2015
  2. auggy Win User

BSOD when running VMWare Player after Creators Update

The minidump files showed a consistent Unknown bugcheck code (e0000001) that appears to be caused by the vmx86.sys.

The vmware-vmx.exe is the process that crashed.

As the vmx86.sys and vmware-vmx.exe are components of VMware there may have been a corruption in the installation if the VMware software was present during the upgrade.

In any event try uninstalling VMware.

Then apply the following update for Windows 10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4022716

The reinstall VMware.

If the issue persists consider posting on the VMware forums.

The Unknown bugcheck code (e0000001) with VMware has been reported before although it appears to be rare such as:

Bluescreen 0xe0000001 in vmx86.sys |VMware Communities

auggy, Jan 14, 2015
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    Ethernet problem after recent Win10 update

Those driver names suggest you are running Windows 10 in a VMWare Virtual Machine. If that's correct, the best place for this enquiry is on the VMWare Forums as it's clearly a VMWare software issue.

Erdeslawe, Jan 14, 2015
  4. Golden Win User

Vmware or virtualbox?

If you have tested both, then it will come down to personal preference. I find VMWare Player easier and more intuitive.

Golden, Jan 15, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

BMW / Audi / Mercedes. Take your choice.

My own view is that VMware is far more robust - but I haven't really messed around with VBOX. Why not try both -- Installing W10 twice is no big deal and there are also converters around to convert from one vm system to another one. Uninstall VMware tools / vbox additions on your GUEST systems before switching vm systems though. There's no reason why you can't have vbox and VMware installed.

Note both these products don't run when HYPER-V is enabled. Similarly HYPER-V won't work unless you uninstall both VMware and Vbox.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 15, 2015
  6. Vladimir Win User
    VMWare all the way for me !

*Smile

Vladimir, Jan 16, 2015
  7. adamf Win User
    Running on what? VirtualBox is always free. VMware you have to pay for on OSX but (limited Player version) is free on Windows and Linux. The Workstation VMWare is again chargeable.

If my host was Windows I'd use Hyper-V. As it isn't and I don't want to pay $60 I use VirtualBox.

adamf, Jan 16, 2015
  8. Kesto Win User

Vmware or virtualbox?

But there is so much more you can do in VMware and you can activate yiur copy by using a key off youtube videos or google.

Kesto, Jan 20, 2015
  9. Kari Win User
    BS. Please tell me one thing possible with VMware but not possible with Hyper-V.

See Forum Rules:

10. adamf Win User
    Merc

adamf, Jan 21, 2015
  11. smalltalk Win User
    I personally prefer Hyper-V. My main machine at home is high end MacBook Pro running Windows 8.1 Pro. I can't get the track pad to scroll with VMWare, but I can with Hyper-V. The guest OS is Windows 10 Tech Preview.

Okay that is not a comprehensive evaluation on my part. Perhaps there is a way to make the scroll work on VMWare. But I couldn't find any. And there are many other issues to compare other than basic track pad functionality. But the track pad is a deal breaker for me.

I haven't tried VirtualBox. I did a few years back and was underwhelmed.

Also the price of Hyper-V is better. It's free!

smalltalk, Jan 21, 2015
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    See Forum Rules:

Kari
    Hi Kari

It works on Linux !!!! (Sorry had to say that one).

Using Linux though you can use an equivalent (XEN or my preference - especially on Red hat based systems KVM) which also work pretty well.

You might find though using HYPER-V that dynamically adding and removing devices on the VM (USB cameras, HDD's etc) is a bit more fiddly and in some cases using the RDP system (Remote desktop) for connection can sometimes seem slowish.

All these things are "fixable" I agree in HYPER-V but for people relatively new to VM's I wouldn't suggest they start with HYPER-V.

Another issue is that if you have BOTH LINUX and WINDOWS HOSTS you can run the SAME VM (whether VMware or VBOX) on BOTH HOSTS without change / conversion etc.

BTW you don't have to pay 65 USD for VMware player - that's for the commercial use. Home users can download a FREE copy which works just fine.

One other thing I did notice on HYPER-V is that NETWORK SHARING of devices is more problematic - in the RDP I think you have to enable local devices as well as sound if you want it.

HYPER-V IMO works best if the VM is not on the same physical host. I know it works on laptops but I think HYPER-V would be better with the VM's stored on a remote server / file system rather than the machine you are actually using. For purely local use (i.e VM on a laptop I'd still go for VMware or vbox). Just my 2c though - of course other people will have different reasons for choosing their system.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 21, 2015
  13. Vmware or virtualbox?

I discovered by accident that if you have Hyper-V enabled Virtual Toolbox of VMplayer don't work. I attempted VTB and the list of option of OS's of the VM machine only showed 32 bit choices. I attempted to install the 32 bit Technical Preview and got an error. When I tried to use VMplayer it gave me an error something like can't use if Hyper-V VM exists. So I decided to use Hyper-V which i installed and no wireless but I googled and found out I have to create A virtual switch and select the wireless card. That worked fine the the VM got corrupt and I tried to reinstall the VM and I had to set the virtual switch again but I could get it to work. SO I went back to VMplayer. I read the error again and I though maybe if i disable Hyper-V it will work. I disabled Hyper-V in windows and when went to Virtual toolbox it showed 64 bit and 32 bit in the dropdown. I installed but it would let me go above 1600 by 900. So then I decided to try VMPlayer and it's working fine. I've added all the new builds with no problems.

Then my laptop broke and I sent it back to repair so I replaced my Windows 7 boot SSD with an older and smaller SSD and I installed The technical preview build 9926 and it's working fine.

SO my choice is VMPlayer as everything runs well except my camera.

orlbuckeye, Jan 27, 2015
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    I used vBox for years but there were always little gremlins. Now I use VMware Player which works very well for me. Only the printing from a Linux distro is a problem. That may be a driver problem though.

15. Kesto Win User
    Well you can take snapshots and share VMs, you can also pause the state of your vm instead of having to start ALL over again.

Kesto, Feb 20, 2015
Thema:

Vmware or virtualbox?

1. Vmware or virtualbox? - Similar Threads - Vmware virtualbox

2. Convert VMware to VirtualBox and vice-versa

in Windows 10 News
    Convert VMware to VirtualBox and vice-versa: [IMG]A Virtual Machine is one of the cheapest ways to experience and use multiple operating systems on a single computer. Two of the biggest brands in the virtual machine industry are VMWare and VirtualBox. You can easily convert VMware to VirtualBox virtual machine and vice...
  3. Screen flickering Problem after installing VMWare/VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen flickering Problem after installing VMWare/VirtualBox: I have HP 15s-fr1004tu laptop. It has Windows 11 installed in it. When I first time installed VMWare, my laptop showed a BSOD. And then when I restarted my laptop, the screen was flickering. I panicked so much, I didn't what to do. Then I uninstalled VMWare, then the problem...
  4. Screen flickering Problem after installing VMWare/VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen flickering Problem after installing VMWare/VirtualBox: I have HP 15s-fr1004tu laptop. It has Windows 11 installed in it. When I first time installed VMWare, my laptop showed a BSOD. And then when I restarted my laptop, the screen was flickering. I panicked so much, I didn't what to do. Then I uninstalled VMWare, then the problem...
  5. Moved Licensed Windows8.1/Windows10 VMWare vm to Virtualbox. Needs activation now?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moved Licensed Windows8.1/Windows10 VMWare vm to Virtualbox. Needs activation now?: Hello, I have a licensed copy of windows 8.1 that I installed as a vmware virtual machine and performed a free upgrade to windows 10. Been working fine until I had a problem that requires moving to Virtualbox. The VM works fine under Virtualbox now but says I need to...
  6. Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare: Hello there, I'm trying to run a windows VM (tried 7 and 10) with 64-bit on virtualbox. But it stucks in the "starting windows" screen (very unsmoothly animations). The vm's specs are: 8GB RAM, 2 CPUs, 128MB VRAM (Max), 32GB VHD (should be enough). All the other settings...
  7. Connecting problem with virtualbox and vmware

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting problem with virtualbox and vmware: i have problem with virtualbox and vmware in windows 10, i installed virtualbox with ansible setup so when i enter ifconfig it doesn't show IP address that i can connect with putty or MobXterm i want to connect three different IPs in virtualbox using putty and MobXterm but my...
  8. Win10 Evaluation copy reboots every hour on the hour (VMWare/VirtualBox)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Evaluation copy reboots every hour on the hour (VMWare/VirtualBox): As the name of the header implies, I run a burner Windows 10 environment in VirtualBox for when I want to test a program before running it on my actual system just to be safe (you never know as with some programs they come from less than reputable sources and you never know...
  9. Unable to activiate Windows 10 after moving from VirtualBox to VMWare fusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activiate Windows 10 after moving from VirtualBox to VMWare fusion: I am in the process of moving all of my virtual machines from VirtualBox to VMWare fusion. After copying the disk and starting windows 10 in VMWare Fusion i see a notification that i need to activate windows. Here's what my activation settings screen looks like: [ATTACH]...
  10. Vmware and VirtualBox not working after the recent update .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Vmware and VirtualBox not working after the recent update .: i have been using vmware and virtualbox for quiet a while . but after the recent update both of them stopped working . i am using windos 10 home and dont have hyper-V ON. i have been to vmware's suggested page but the support is for only windows enterprise ."VMware...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bsod vmx86.sys

2. KB4515871 RDP VMWARE