Windows 10: Vmware or virtualbox?

Discus and support Vmware or virtualbox? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Well you can take snapshots and share VMs, you can also pause the state of your vm instead of having to start ALL over again. You can do all of this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Kesto, Jan 14, 2015.

1. adamf Win User

Vmware or virtualbox?

You can do all of this with Hyper-V. One advantage Hyper-V has over VBox and VMWare (non server) is it automatically suspends and restarts VMs when you reboot.

adamf, Feb 20, 2015
  2. WHS
    whs Win User

I am not a Hyper-V expert. I use VMware Player and run all my virtual systems from an external device (SSD of fast USB stick). That way I can run the virtual systems of which I have about a dozen on every system that has VMware Player installed - even Linux systems or an old Vista laptop from 2007. Is that something I could do with Hyper-V ??

3. Kari Win User
    Of course in this sense Hyper-V is not as flexible because it only runs on Windows 8 & 8.1 Pro, Windows 10 and Windows Server 2008 and 2012 versions of Windows. It's not possible to run Hyper-V on Linux or legacy Windows (Seven and older).

To compensate that, it's incredibly easy to run Hyper-V virtual machines on your home network. They only need to be located on one computer, you can then connect to any vm on any virtual host (PC) on your network with Virtual Machine Connection tool:

Vmware or virtualbox? [​IMG]

This simply means that you don't have to connect the HDD or SSD containing your virtual machines to the computer you are currently using. Instead, if for example the PC-1 in your network contains the virtual machines, you can connect to them and use them from PC-2.

If you store your virtual machines on an external media, you can also create a new vm on any computer using existing vm on that media.

Personally I do not even need my virtual machines to go with me. I have set up port forwarding to forward incoming remote desktop connection requests to my home server (see RDC tutorial, Part Eight) which is always up and running. This way I can connect to and use my Hyper-V virtual machines from any Windows, Windows Phone, Linux, Android, iOS and MacOSX device out there (tutorial), without need to carry the media containing them with me.

Here I am connected to my laptop running Windows 10 Build 9926 using RDC from Windows Phone. As laptop has some virtual machines I have opened a Win 10 Build 9879 vm and am controlling it from the phone:

Vmware or virtualbox? [​IMG]

4. WHS
    whs Win User

Vmware or virtualbox?

Kari, that sounds interesting but more complicated than my external SSD approach. And I don't know how your scheme would work when I move from Florida to Germany with everything in Florida shut down and a different ISP in Germany.

5. Kari Win User
    For me the easiest and by far the simplest approach is to let home server run 24/7 and connect to virtual machines when on the home network using Virtual Machine Connection, and when away over remote desktop connection.

In your case it would be to keep your virtual machines on an external device, connect it to any computer wherever you are (subject to the PC is running an OS which has Hyper-V) and create a new vm using existing virtual hard disks. This operation takes a minute and have to be done only once, next time the same media is connected to this PC the virtual machines are there.

Anyway, the RDC option is so easy I wholeheartedly recommend it.

6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Here is one of the problems - most of my PCs don't support Hyper-V. But my system works for me. Why change if it ain't broke.

7. BartZorn Win User
    I have no recent experience with VMware, but with VirtualBox on Windows 7 and one or two VM's running but doing nothing, the CPU load on the host was always 10 to 20%.

Now with Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro, under the same conditions, the CPU load is only 2 to 5%.

Since my host is a laptop, it runs quite a bit cooler!

My 2 cents worth,

Bart

BartZorn, Jan 21, 2016
  8. jpeni Win User

Vmware or virtualbox?

VirtualBox is great. I have tested other alternatives (VMWare, Hyper-V, etc) but VirtualBox works for me. I use it regularly to test software so I do not have to worry about corrupting my primary desktop. Has saved me a couple times from bad installs / uninstalls. I also use a virgin VirtualBox install of Windows 10 to create portable applications. The "Snapshot" option of Virtualbox is necessary for restoring the build to its original condition after testing software or creating portable apps.

jpeni, Jan 30, 2016
  9. Tonyb Win User
    sorry to bring up a old thread is VMware free ???

Tonyb, Nov 18, 2017
  10. cereberus Win User
    There is a free version.

cereberus, Nov 18, 2017
  11. Tonyb Win User
    is the free version any good ??

Tonyb, Nov 18, 2017
  12. GalaxyGe Win User
    This thread is from 2015; no it makes no sense to bring it up again as it’s contents are widely void.
    To my knowledge, there is no more free version of VMware.
    Plus today, VirtualBox (5.2) is more advanced than VMware, at least for home use.
    Use hyper-v on a Windows 10 host, or VirtualBox if you’re new to the topic.

EDIT: sorry, there is indeed still a free version, it seems, VMware Workstation Player 14 - so you could still check it out.

GalaxyGe, Nov 18, 2017
  13. Vmware or virtualbox?

Yes, there's a free version of VMware desktop, for non-commercial use.
    I find that it performs slightly faster than Virtual Box, but not much faster.
    Both are underwhelming.
    jpeni said he uses a VM for testing. That's all I use it for. That's about all it's good for, where speed is not so important.

Download VMware Workstation Pro

margrave55, Nov 18, 2017
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Like all these things --depends on what you want to use it for.

I've found VMware over the years far more stable and reliable than VBOX but it depends on what you are running, what you are using as HOST and the nature of the VM's themselves.

I'd suggest to anybody wanting an answer to this type of question is to try BOTH systems out -- just get rid of the one that is either more complicated to use or you feel less comfortable with.

This type of question these days is very much in the mould of "Audi vs BMW vs Mercedes". The final choice has to be with the end user as all the VM systems (like the Cars) have improved so much that answers valid a few years ago are no longer true today --for example VBOX used to be regarded as a joke and who ever uses QEMU nowadays.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 19, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    Whilst all this is true, I would add that VBOX has had a bit of a chequered history of falling over after build upgrades with Windows 10, and Oracle have had to provide fixes.

Vmware seems to have been more immune to build upgrade impact.

Of course, if you have PRO, Hyper-V is really good but has downsides e.g. no sound for basic sessions. I hardly every use Vmware these days.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Vmware or virtualbox?

1. Vmware or virtualbox? - Similar Threads - Vmware virtualbox

2. Convert VMware to VirtualBox and vice-versa

in Windows 10 News
    Convert VMware to VirtualBox and vice-versa: [IMG]A Virtual Machine is one of the cheapest ways to experience and use multiple operating systems on a single computer. Two of the biggest brands in the virtual machine industry are VMWare and VirtualBox. You can easily convert VMware to VirtualBox virtual machine and vice...
  3. Screen flickering Problem after installing VMWare/VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen flickering Problem after installing VMWare/VirtualBox: I have HP 15s-fr1004tu laptop. It has Windows 11 installed in it. When I first time installed VMWare, my laptop showed a BSOD. And then when I restarted my laptop, the screen was flickering. I panicked so much, I didn't what to do. Then I uninstalled VMWare, then the problem...
  4. Screen flickering Problem after installing VMWare/VirtualBox

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen flickering Problem after installing VMWare/VirtualBox: I have HP 15s-fr1004tu laptop. It has Windows 11 installed in it. When I first time installed VMWare, my laptop showed a BSOD. And then when I restarted my laptop, the screen was flickering. I panicked so much, I didn't what to do. Then I uninstalled VMWare, then the problem...
  5. Moved Licensed Windows8.1/Windows10 VMWare vm to Virtualbox. Needs activation now?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Moved Licensed Windows8.1/Windows10 VMWare vm to Virtualbox. Needs activation now?: Hello, I have a licensed copy of windows 8.1 that I installed as a vmware virtual machine and performed a free upgrade to windows 10. Been working fine until I had a problem that requires moving to Virtualbox. The VM works fine under Virtualbox now but says I need to...
  6. Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows VM stucks on Virtualbox but not on VMWare: Hello there, I'm trying to run a windows VM (tried 7 and 10) with 64-bit on virtualbox. But it stucks in the "starting windows" screen (very unsmoothly animations). The vm's specs are: 8GB RAM, 2 CPUs, 128MB VRAM (Max), 32GB VHD (should be enough). All the other settings...
  7. Connecting problem with virtualbox and vmware

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting problem with virtualbox and vmware: i have problem with virtualbox and vmware in windows 10, i installed virtualbox with ansible setup so when i enter ifconfig it doesn't show IP address that i can connect with putty or MobXterm i want to connect three different IPs in virtualbox using putty and MobXterm but my...
  8. Win10 Evaluation copy reboots every hour on the hour (VMWare/VirtualBox)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Evaluation copy reboots every hour on the hour (VMWare/VirtualBox): As the name of the header implies, I run a burner Windows 10 environment in VirtualBox for when I want to test a program before running it on my actual system just to be safe (you never know as with some programs they come from less than reputable sources and you never know...
  9. Unable to activiate Windows 10 after moving from VirtualBox to VMWare fusion

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activiate Windows 10 after moving from VirtualBox to VMWare fusion: I am in the process of moving all of my virtual machines from VirtualBox to VMWare fusion. After copying the disk and starting windows 10 in VMWare Fusion i see a notification that i need to activate windows. Here's what my activation settings screen looks like: [ATTACH]...
  10. Vmware and VirtualBox not working after the recent update .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Vmware and VirtualBox not working after the recent update .: i have been using vmware and virtualbox for quiet a while . but after the recent update both of them stopped working . i am using windos 10 home and dont have hyper-V ON. i have been to vmware's suggested page but the support is for only windows enterprise ."VMware...