Windows 10: VMWare Player-Can connect virtual to physical in only one direction

Discus and support VMWare Player-Can connect virtual to physical in only one direction in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I created a virtual machine from a physical one using the VMware Standalone Convertor. The virtual machine can connect (read/write) to the physical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Kenbro, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Kenbro Win User

VMWare Player-Can connect virtual to physical in only one direction

I created a virtual machine from a physical one using the VMware Standalone Convertor.

The virtual machine can connect (read/write) to the physical machine but the physical machine CANNOT connect (read/write) to the virtual machine even though the virtual machine shows up in the network via Windows Explorer on the physical machine.

It did work for a while last night. I left it alone for a few hours (did not change a thing or even re-boot) and then tried connecting again (physical to virtual) and it would not allow me to.

As a test, I connected my laptop and changed the laptop's workgroup to the same as the above machines and everything connect perfectly in all directions.

I'm assuming there is some kind of conflict between the two machines because of the virtualization. BTW, I am using VM Player as I do not like the interface of VM Workstation. I'm a VM newbie.

Can anyone help? Winver 1901

:)

Kenbro, Jul 17, 2020
  2. RonFarns Win User

IP Interface Priority (physical and virtual)

Is it possible to change the ifIndex number (set it lower for the physical adapter than the ifIndex numbers assigned to virtual, VMNet, adapters) using the Set-NetIPInterface command (or some other powershell command)?

This would be on a Windows 10 operating system. I have an application that gets a list of local IP address and on the PC it runs on VMware is installed and has multiple virtual adapters. My application always returns the IP address of one of the virtual
    adapters but I need it to get the IP address of my physical adapter so I need its IP address to be first in the list.

Any suggestions? (A registry edit maybe?)

RonFarns, Jul 17, 2020
  3. S_and_S Win User
    Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, Jul 17, 2020
  4. VMWare Player-Can connect virtual to physical in only one direction

Physical-to-Virtual Windows 10 Activation Problem in VMware Player (Troubleshooting)

Windows 10 was activated when I first reinstalled it in a VMware Workstation Player 14 Virtual Machine and installed the VMware Tools for Windows, but now only a couple-few days after the installation
    it is no longer activated. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the VMware Tools and it still will not reactivate. I tried repairing the VMware Tools installation and get an error during the install.
    I have also tried the Windows 10 Activation Troubleshooter tool, but it did not solve this issue; didn't work. I have already gone to the VMware community for help with this problem, and I learned
    that I may have inadvertently and accidentally caused this problem myself by choosing that the Virtual Machine had been COPIED rather than MOVED when prompted with the question "Did you move or copy
    your virtual machine?" and that this may be what caused the problem.

Please note that this is a copy of Windows 10 that was obtained for free a year or two ago when Microsoft was allowing users of Windows 7 or 8 to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, and was already previously
    activated on this same physical machine as a host operating system, but I have now decided to switch over and run Windows as a guest operating system using Linux as the host. I shouldn't need a product key to activate this copy of Windows 10, I would think,
    and shouldn't be charged any money for this mistake, but I'm not sure what to do in this situation. What are the likely causes of this problem and what might be a solution? Please help! Thank you
    for your time and attention. VMWare Player-Can connect virtual to physical in only one direction :)

FearlessOne4832, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

VMWare Player-Can connect virtual to physical in only one direction

1. VMWare Player-Can connect virtual to physical in only one direction - Similar Threads - VMWare Player connect

2. Can only get networked computers to talk in one direction...sort of

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can only get networked computers to talk in one direction...sort of: Ok this will likely be a long post....so sorry ahead of time.Ok I am helping a friend set up two computers on his home network to communicate with each other and primarily to be able to share specific files and folders between them.Now this set up is for a streaming radio...
  3. Can only get networked computers to talk in one direction...sort of

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can only get networked computers to talk in one direction...sort of: Ok this will likely be a long post....so sorry ahead of time.Ok I am helping a friend set up two computers on his home network to communicate with each other and primarily to be able to share specific files and folders between them.Now this set up is for a streaming radio...
  4. Can only get networked computers to talk in one direction...sort of

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. VMware Player not compatible

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMware Player not compatible: Upgrading to 2004 and received this popup: [img] Works fine in 1903 167921
  6. remote desktop connection works only one direction

remote desktop connection works only one direction: My remote desktop connection works from desktop to laptop but not from laptop to desktop. Both using windows 10 pro. Can not figure out why?...
  7. File Sharing works only in one direction

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Sharing works only in one direction: Hello people, I have one laptop and one desktop. Both with the latest windows updates and connected to the same wifi network. They both have the same settings in the "Advanced Sharing Settings" (turned on network discovery, file and printer sharing for private networks, the...
  8. Can only connect one way on networking

Can only connect one way on networking: Okay, an interesting situation here. Up until recently I could connect via my ethernet networking fine, between 2 PCs, both ways. Both my PCs recently upgraded to 1903, approx 1 week apart. I have zero idea if it is coincidence, but now I can only access one of the PCs, not...
  9. Physical and Virtual Memory

in Windows 10 Support
    Physical and Virtual Memory: Hi, I new with windows 10 and I have some question: My OS is win 10 x64 Ultimate and I have 32GB of physical memory but when I checked my virtual I noticed that when was setup for "Automatically manage paging file size for all drivers" was a little more than 2000 MB but when...
  10. Install Windows 10 as Virtual Machine in VMware Player

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Install Windows 10 as Virtual Machine in VMware Player: How to: Install Windows 10 as Virtual Machine in VMware Player How to Install Windows 10 as Virtual Machine in VMware Player [img] Information VMware Player is a free desktop application that lets you run a virtual machine on a Windows or Linux PC. This tutorial...