Windows 10: VMware Player USB device greyed out

Discus and support VMware Player USB device greyed out in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [IMG]Some users have complained that when they open the VMware Player (or VMware Workstation Player) on their Windows PC and power on the virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Apr 25, 2023.

1. WinClub New Member

VMware Player USB device greyed out

VMware Player USB device greyed out [​IMG]
    Some users have complained that when they open the VMware Player (or VMware Workstation Player) on their Windows PC and power on the virtual machine, they are unable to access the removable USB device(s) such as USB camera, USB hard drive, etc., connected to the host machine. For some users, a few USB devices are […]

This article VMware Player USB device greyed out first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, Apr 25, 2023

2. VMware-usb storage device not recognized

Hello,

I'm running Windows XP in Workstation Player on a Windows 10 laptop.

My USB CD/DVD drive is able to mount in the Player. So is a flash drive.

My Western Digital ssd (My Passport Ultra) is listed in "Removable devices", but fails to mount, giving this error:

VMware Player USB device greyed out 167429d1512827650t-vmware-usb-storage-device-not-recognized-usb-device-not-recognized.jpg

In the Virtual Machine settings, the USB controller is using usb 2.0.

The WD ssd is compatible with usb 3.0 and 2.0, and is supported by Windows XP. My desktop computer running Win XP has no problem mounting the drive.

The device manager in virtual Win XP shows it as an "unknown device."

I've read everything I can find on the problem, and tried a number of suggestions from the knowledge base at VMware as well as solutions via google searches.

Perhaps the WD ssd just won't work on the free version of VM Workstation Player (v. 14).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul Bacon, Apr 25, 2023
  3. freebie Win User
    VMware Player Problem

I'm trying to run VMware player on my machine to have a play with the new WHS 2011 software, but when i try and install it says ...

VMware Player USB device greyed out [​IMG]

So I thought i'd try windows 7 x64 same version as on my machine, same problem. had a look in bios like a friend suggested for a virtualisation setting but can't find one, Any ideas??

freebie, Apr 25, 2023
  4. NdMk2o1o Win User

Need help getting D3D enabled through Win98 on VMWare Player

As the title suggests, I would like to get D3D working on my Win98 SE VM, I have the latest VMWare player and have checked the direct 3D box in the settings but in dxdiag the option to test D3D is greyed out, is there something else that I need to do?

BTW just incase your interested the VM is on my local machine and I am hoping to run some older games/dos based games.

NdMk2o1o, Apr 25, 2023
Thema:

1. VMware Player USB device greyed out - Similar Threads - VMware Player USB

2. Why is install vmware tools greyed out?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is install vmware tools greyed out?: Hi Microsoft,So i was trying to install vmware tools on my windows 7 vm but the option "Install vmware tools" is greyed outThere is no way its because "The os is old it may become unsupported" because i click "Install vmware tools" on my windows xp virtual machine and it...
  3. Why is install vmware tools greyed out?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is install vmware tools greyed out?: Hi Microsoft,So i was trying to install vmware tools on my windows 7 vm but the option "Install vmware tools" is greyed outThere is no way its because "The os is old it may become unsupported" because i click "Install vmware tools" on my windows xp virtual machine and it...
  4. Greyed out camera in hidden devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Greyed out camera in hidden devices: So Asus zenbook asus ux425ja laptop that i have the camera is greyed out on hidden devices And when i click on camera it says thisI know laptops have that camera key on the keyboard to turn it on and off but when i click on it nothing comes up on screen telling me camera is...
  5. New VMWare Player 16.1.0

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    New VMWare Player 16.1.0: New VMWare Player released. 16.1.0 *Arrow VMware Maintenance Highlights and fixes. *Arrow VMware Workstation 16.1.0 Pro Release Notes [img] 168788
  6. VMware Player not compatible

VMware Player not compatible: Upgrading to 2004 and received this popup: [img] Works fine in 1903 167921
  7. Allow a device to connect greyed out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Allow a device to connect greyed out: Cannot connect bluetooth device as when I hit connect I get the message that didn't work try again. Also in bluetooth menu allow device to connect greyed out....
  8. VMware Player and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible

VMware Player and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible: I have this error with vmware w. player 15.5, is this a bug and, if possible, what does it means? Thanks! BTW this happens if I enable "core isolation", I understand core isolation is necessary to avoid hardware bugs in intel cpu. 142004
  9. VMware-usb storage device not recognized

VMware-usb storage device not recognized: Hello, I'm running Windows XP in Workstation Player on a Windows 10 laptop. My USB CD/DVD drive is able to mount in the Player. So is a flash drive. My Western Digital ssd (My Passport Ultra) is listed in "Removable devices", but fails to mount, giving this error:...
  10. VMware Player 12 crash

VMware Player 12 crash: So I decided to dig out some old operating system install disks to play with on my PC. However, when the OS install requires a reboot, the VM breaks and gives endless C++ runtime errors indicating something in regards to "pure functions", no error number visible on screen. To...