Windows 10: VMWare users - huge improvement using NVMe as VDisks even on SSDs

Discus and support VMWare users - huge improvement using NVMe as VDisks even on SSDs in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks if you want to get a lot of improvement on Disk I/O on VM's using VMWare - the latest release supports NVMe as a Virtual disk -- even if you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jul 20, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare users - huge improvement using NVMe as VDisks even on SSDs

Hi folks
    if you want to get a lot of improvement on Disk I/O on VM's using VMWare - the latest release supports NVMe as a Virtual disk -- even if you choose it on a "bog standard" SSD the improvement IMO is very noticeable (Slow HDD's are the bane of any computer whether on a VM or not) and often Virtual machines are also hampered by the "Virtual I/O" subsystem.

I don't have any NVMe devices but using a bog standard SSD I was able to get much better throughput than using standard "SCSI" choice.

Here's a Fedora 32 Linux VM on a W10 Host -- works also with Windows VM's too VMWare rel 15.5.6

VMWare users - huge improvement using NVMe as VDisks even on SSDs [​IMG]

Boots also from the "NVMe" device (boot into firmware) -- for VMWare player users you can also boot into firmware -- you need to change 1 line in the config (vmx) file each time -- I've a post elsewhere in this section - just google !!

cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 20, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare users - NVMe now supported

Hi folks
    when creating a VM using latest release of VMWare - especially if creating it on an SSD you can now select NVMe as HDD type -- this does work considerably better than the standard SCSI HDD standard controller which was the old default for virtual disks -- even if you don't have any NVMe disks installed.

One of the problems with things like VMWare has always been the I/O performance of having to use paravirtualised I/O rather than the native file system of the Guest OS itself. However this does speed it up quite a bit.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 20, 2020
  3. NVME SSD

Tried this, and windows still didn't see the nvme ssd. It was a brand new nvme ssd right out of the box. Nothing works.

AdrianLucke72, Jul 20, 2020
  4. VMWare users - huge improvement using NVMe as VDisks even on SSDs

NVME SSD

I am having difficulty with installing Windows 10 on a 500gb WD m.2 2280 nvme ssd. I have a crosshair vii hero, AMD ryzen 7 2700x. The windows 10 1909 uefi usb drive has a basic unttend.xml in it, to help setup some settings during the install. I have
    followed every direction post i could find about installing windows 10 to a nvme drive, and i cant get Windows 10 to see the nvme ssd.

AdrianLucke72, Jul 20, 2020
Thema:

VMWare users - huge improvement using NVMe as VDisks even on SSDs

1. VMWare users - huge improvement using NVMe as VDisks even on SSDs - Similar Threads - VMWare users huge

2. Using SSDs as cache for storage spaces?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Using SSDs as cache for storage spaces?: I have windows 10 pro server running storage spaces. Currently there's 7 drives. 2x256GB SSD, 2x4TB HDD, 3x8TB HDD. Right now they are all in one big pool in parity mode. How do I turn the 2 SSD into cache drives to make the pool faster? 173836
  3. Slow Windows 10 Upgrades even with SSDs, SSDs too small? Overprovisioning required? How to...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Slow Windows 10 Upgrades even with SSDs, SSDs too small? Overprovisioning required? How to...: Hi, I upgraded Windows 10 32 Bit Home in default setup nearly no 3rd party applicaitons and apps installed on two machines using SSDs with and without so called TRIM. Memory Size is 2-3GB, SSD Size is 80GB without TRIM Support, official Whitepaper says GC runs in trouble...
  4. VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks: Hi folks on Windows latest VMWare releases (>15.5.6 ) allow the use of an NVme driver -- works super well on bog standard SSD's too. For Windows VM's -- no problem just install your VM. However there's a catch when installing a Linux distro from a live distro (those that...
  5. VMWare users - NVMe now supported

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare users - NVMe now supported: Hi folks when creating a VM using latest release of VMWare - especially if creating it on an SSD you can now select NVMe as HDD type -- this does work considerably better than the standard SCSI HDD standard controller which was the old default for virtual disks -- even if you...
  6. RSTe Not Recognizing NVME SSDs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RSTe Not Recognizing NVME SSDs: Good day all! This is my first post here so I'll tag the intro on top. I'm Matthew Bourguignon. I own a small computer biz in Auburn, Alabama called BourgTech. I started doing business in 2011 in Daytona Beach, Florida. I've been tinkering with computers since I was 10 and I...
  7. [Help] NVME SSDs Not showing in the navigation panel in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Help] NVME SSDs Not showing in the navigation panel in explorer: I even tried to make Explorer show all folders, but it does not show. Picture submitted by /u/mariogk01 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/flee5k/help_nvme_ssds_not_showing_in_the_navigation/
  8. Introducing new Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSDs

in Windows 10 News
    Introducing new Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSDs: [ATTACH] Samsung Electronics America, today introduced the Samsung 970 EVO Plus, the newest enhancement in its Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe) SSD portfolio. With industry-leading performance and up to two terabytes in capacity, Samsung’s 970 EVO Plus sets a new bar for...
  9. M.2 NVMe SSDs in Raid 0 array?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 NVMe SSDs in Raid 0 array?: ASRock Z370 Professional Gaming i7 LGA 1151 mobo Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVME PCIe SSDs M.2 drives in M.2 slots 1 and 3 on mobo Can a RAID 0 array be created with the 2 drives? Is it advisable to do so? (I have learned over the years that not everything that CAN be done...
  10. 960 evo nvme speed improvement

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    960 evo nvme speed improvement: I have a new system with a 960 evo nvme. The system bios is legacy. If i change the bios to uefi and change the mbr to gpt, would i gain any significant speed improvement with the nvme drive? Currently i am underwhelmed by the speed of the nvme in comparison to a 850 pro on...