Windows 10: VMWare users - NVMe now supported

Discus and support VMWare users - NVMe now supported in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks when creating a VM using latest release of VMWare - especially if creating it on an SSD you can now select NVMe as HDD type -- this does work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jul 7, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare users - NVMe now supported

Hi folks
    when creating a VM using latest release of VMWare - especially if creating it on an SSD you can now select NVMe as HDD type -- this does work considerably better than the standard SCSI HDD standard controller which was the old default for virtual disks -- even if you don't have any NVMe disks installed.

One of the problems with things like VMWare has always been the I/O performance of having to use paravirtualised I/O rather than the native file system of the Guest OS itself. However this does speed it up quite a bit.

VMWare users - NVMe now supported [​IMG]

VMWare users - NVMe now supported [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 7, 2020
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Jul 7, 2020
  3. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

Thanks. This helped but only partly.

NVMe disk is now listed in choose-disk step but installer says that its unable to install WIndows on this disk because it has MBR partition. Windows can only be installed on GPT disks in EFI systems.

What should i do now ?

WojciechCe, Jul 7, 2020
  4. VMWare users - NVMe now supported

Use bootloader from a SATA disk to boot Windows installation on a NVME disk

I've managed to get the system booting from the NVME some other way:

1. Converted the NVME to GPT using MBR2GPT.EXE
    2. Hacked NVME support into the bios

a1__Bart__1, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

VMWare users - NVMe now supported

1. VMWare users - NVMe now supported - Similar Threads - VMWare users NVMe

2. Expanded to a second NVMe SSD, now what?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expanded to a second NVMe SSD, now what?: Long story short, I filled up my initial 1tb SSD and bought and installed another one, and initiated it so it’s ready to go. The 1st one has everything C: boot, etc.The big questions now are how should I set these up with my files? What should I migrate over to the new one...
  3. Expanded to a second NVMe SSD, now what?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expanded to a second NVMe SSD, now what?: Long story short, I filled up my initial 1tb SSD and bought and installed another one, and initiated it so it’s ready to go. The 1st one has everything C: boot, etc.The big questions now are how should I set these up with my files? What should I migrate over to the new one...
  4. VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare installing Linux / Windows VM's with NVme Disks: Hi folks on Windows latest VMWare releases (>15.5.6 ) allow the use of an NVme driver -- works super well on bog standard SSD's too. For Windows VM's -- no problem just install your VM. However there's a catch when installing a Linux distro from a live distro (those that...
  5. VMWare users - huge improvement using NVMe as VDisks even on SSDs

VMWare users - huge improvement using NVMe as VDisks even on SSDs: Hi folks if you want to get a lot of improvement on Disk I/O on VM's using VMWare - the latest release supports NVMe as a Virtual disk -- even if you choose it on a "bog standard" SSD the improvement IMO is very noticeable (Slow HDD's are the bane of any computer whether on a...
  6. VMware users and insider build 18290 GSOD

VMware users and insider build 18290 GSOD: Hi folks just a warning to anybody who uses vmware on the latest insider build 18290. (Using build 18290 as HOST). Program will start but as soon as you power on any GUEST (Windows or Linux guests) Windows will abend / crash with GSOD. Problem reported to VMWARE. I'm on...
  7. Any VMWare esxi users here

Any VMWare esxi users here: Hi folks. Any ESXI users here -- interested particularly how Windows VM's performs on it. Would prefer people using either at home or in small tests rather than Enterprise shops at work say. Would also be interested if one can manage VM's decently with the Free ESXi version...
  8. VMware users Release 15 WKS now out

VMware users Release 15 WKS now out: Hi folks To VMware users WKS rel 15 and appropriate player release(s) are now out. Upgrading currently will see how it pans out -- while I still can get it from work !!! Cheers jimbo 118490
  9. VMware users WKS 14.1.3 build now out

VMware users WKS 14.1.3 build now out: Hi folks VMware users build 14.1.3 is available both for Linux and Windows Hosts - Free upgrade. Appropriate upgrade for users of the free VMware player as well. From VMware menu --help --check for upgrades should get you to download / install. I use both VMWARE...
  10. VMWare Workstation 11 is now on the street

VMWare Workstation 11 is now on the street: Haven't bought it as of yet, hopefully tomorrow. . .good luck. 3144