Windows 10: VMWARE / VBOX etc - Boot VM from USB drive to install GUEST OS

Discus and support VMWARE / VBOX etc - Boot VM from USB drive to install GUEST OS in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Most VM programs allow you to boot from an ISO image -- useful when installing the Guest OS for the first time. Since now DVD's are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jul 17, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMWARE / VBOX etc - Boot VM from USB drive to install GUEST OS

Hi there

Most VM programs allow you to boot from an ISO image -- useful when installing the Guest OS for the first time.

Since now DVD's are going the way of the DODO isn't about time these Virtual Machine software manufacturers such as VMWARE and ORACLE(VBOX) to allow booting from a USB stick for installing the Guest OS. Would need a change in the Virtual BIOS but shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

Windows itself is now going to be distributed on a USB stick.

I can see the ridiculous situation of people having to CREATE an ISO from a USB drive / stick !!!! -- Turn round for the book !!.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 17, 2015
  2. SJDM Win User

How to display different virtual desktops on different monitors

I would suggest the most useful get-around is to run VMware virtual machine and use the power of a wider desktop to run the VMware (or HyperV etc) on the 2nd monitor. You can then run the VMware software in 'unity mode' which allows you to work directly
    in the application window (the one inside the VM); this is better than having to Alt + Tab to the VM environment guest and select the app window you want inside that. It's great, and Windows / VMware is a good solution. (I don't know HyperV which I believe
    has similar functionality). Just make sure you have plenty of memory, as a 64 bit VMware guest VM OS will use similar RAM as a your 'host' machine.

3. Vee Insom Win User
    Upgrade win 10 home to win 10 pro, keep win 10 home activation key for VM?

My current OS is Win 10 home, upgraded from win 8.1. It is an OEM installation.

I have the activation key saved in a safe place.

I also have a vmware vm running the same OS (win 10 home) with the same

activation key (yes, I know that won't work for the long term as the vm or

guest OS requires a new activation key).

I want to upgrade the host OS to win 10 pro (via the Settings/Update &

Security/Activation/Go to Store button, while still being able to use the

guest OS (win 10 home) and original activation key. Is this possible?

My fear is the original activation key for win 10 home will be nullified.

End result, win 10 pro as host OS, win 10 home as guest OS, TWO LEGAL keys.

Note: I already created a win 10 home ISO and USB drive using the

MediaCreationToolx64.

Thanks for your time.

Vee Insom, Jul 17, 2015
  4. DavidY Win User

I've been playing with VirtualBox 5, and trying to make Windows think that a VHD file containing a Recovery Drive is a USB file.

The trick seems to *not* use the new option to add a USB controller, but instead to add my VHD as an SATA device, and select the Checkbox that says Hot-pluggable.

I'm not sure it's gonna work, but I think that's more an issue with Recovery Drive than Virtualbox.

What I haven't figured out is how to let Windows 'see' a physical USB that's plugged into the host machine, and boot from that.

DavidY, Jul 18, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

A NATIVE BIOS doesn't have any problems from booting from a USB device so presumably in the Virtual Bios the boot device should be able to specify a USB stick as an external device. You can boot from a physical DVD in a VM so it's the VIRTUAL BIOS implementation rather than in Windows itself or any underlying HOST OS.

I'm sure it will come -- probably not too many people have requested the feature. Note it doesn't have to be Windows -- any bootable supported Guest OS should be able to be installed this way.

Both VMWARE and VBOX will let you boot into the Virtual BIOS on GUEST startup before the GUEST boots so that's where to have a look for supported bootable devices.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 18, 2015
  6. Hopachi Win User
    Booting from USB in VM's still needs some polishing, for sure.

One way to do it is like this:
    How to Boot From a USB Drive in VirtualBox

Cheers!

Hopachi, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. VMWARE / VBOX etc - Boot VM from USB drive to install GUEST OS - Similar Threads - VMWARE VBOX etc

2. Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Convert VMWare / Vbox VM's to KVM: Hi folks If you want to convert VMWare VM's or VBOX ones to KVM it's a fairly straight forward but longish process. depending on the size of the original VM's. The Virtual disk though must be in a single vdmk image so if you have several vdmk files (most people do not...
  3. USB drive doest not detect in host os but gets detected in guest os

in Windows 10 Support
    USB drive doest not detect in host os but gets detected in guest os: my usb drive is not getting detected on my laptop which has Windows 10 OS I executed drvierquery command its output is following but the same pen drive gets detected in vmware virtual machine on Windows 10 and I can see all files. I have attached output of driverquery in...
  4. HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently: Hi Windows Gurus I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why Windows can't run VMWare and HYPER-V concurrently while VBOX seems to get indeterminate results -- some say it works others say it just hangs. I've messed around quite a lot with the QEMU/KVM equivalent Hypervisor and...
  5. Vmware / VBOX Linux guests anyone got bridged networking

Vmware / VBOX Linux guests anyone got bridged networking: Hi folks on WINDOWS 10 Hosts - current 1903 or later builds has anyone got a Linux VM with any kernel > 4.15 to run in Bridged mode with either VBOX or VMWARE. NAT works fine but I need Bridged as these VM's need to be acessible from the whole network Pity it's Bridged...
  6. VMWare enable 3D and hardware acceleration on Windows Guest VM's

VMWare enable 3D and hardware acceleration on Windows Guest VM's: Hi there If when using a Linux host with VMWare you find you get messages on Windows VM's saying 3D and Hardware acceleration not supported even when you've ticked the enable 3d box in the edit VM configuration from the VMWare menu simply add these 2 lines to the .vmx VM...
  7. Changing boot drive from HD to USB for OS install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing boot drive from HD to USB for OS install: I am installing an SSD and Windows 10 at the same time. Need to know how to change the boot drive to the Windows 10 USB. Currently on Windows 7. Thanks...
  8. VMWARE VM can now boot from USB stick / device

VMWARE VM can now boot from USB stick / device: Hi there. The latest version of VMWARE can now boot a VM from an external USB device (stick or HDD like an SSD etc. I mean here that the BOOT can be from the USB device --of course one has always been able to OPEN a VM which exists on an external device but until...
  9. Booting a VM from a USB stick ( From Inside Vmware)

Booting a VM from a USB stick ( From Inside Vmware): Hi there deleted -- wrong info cheers jimbo 106420
  10. Ho to boot a VM from a USB stick in vmware

Ho to boot a VM from a USB stick in vmware: Hi folks This is a good way to achieve booting a VM from a USB in vmware. How to Boot a VMware Virtual Machine from a USB Drive Cheers jimbo 82357