Windows 10: VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset

Discus and support VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Does anybody here know of the specifications of the VMWare and Vbox virtual Bios and the emulation chipset they use. It must be pretty... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Apr 8, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset

Hi folks

Does anybody here know of the specifications of the VMWare and Vbox virtual Bios and the emulation chipset they use. It must be pretty universal as the paravirtualised hardware works on most devices without issue -- i.e you can copy / move VM's more or less at will between different devices and host hardware (including CPU and GPU differences) -- assuming not using physical passthru of real HOST devices and other hardware.

On KVM/QEMU the BIOS is in the public domain so not a problem. SEABIOS for standard MBR and TIANOCORE for the EFI BIOS (also there's a secure boot option too).

I'd also be interested in the same for HYPER-V although Windows being quite strictly proprietary that might be under various "NDA's" so only give legal answers if you are in the know on that one.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 8, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

Does anybody here know of the specifications of the VMWare and Vbox virtual Bios and the emulation chipset they use. It must be pretty universal as the paravirtualised hardware works on most devices without issue -- i.e you can copy / move VM's more or less at will between different devices and host hardware (including CPU and GPU differences) -- assuming not using physical passthru of real HOST devices and other hardware.

On KVM/QEMU the BIOS is in the public domain so not a problem. SEABIOS for standard MBR and TIANOCORE for the EFI BIOS (also there's a secure boot option too).

I'd also be interested in the same for HYPER-V although Windows being quite strictly proprietary that might be under various "NDA's" so only give legal answers if you are in the know on that one.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 8, 2021
  3. Hopachi Win User

I'll only add some brief info on what I know.

VirtualBox emulates ICH9 or PIIX3 chipset.
    I didn't find much documentation about those but there is some in the manual to begin with and gets elaborated on the Vbox forum at some topics. The choice of chipset depends on selected guest since it must be supported by OS.
    Chapter 3. Configuring Virtual Machines (chapter 3.5.1)
    BIOS / EFI implementation must be open source but I'm no expert and I didn't dug in the sources to check. Though you can.
    All settings can be changed in the VM file with .vbox extension which uses XML and so it's pretty much the closest 'structural' match to KVM / libvirt where XML is also used.

VMWare uses Phoenix BIOS, pretty much tailor-made for the hypervisor. I don't know much on this one so I'll see if someone else has more facts / data on this.

Hyper-V hides most of the boot stuff and VMs are stored in an own special format. I'm also curious about this one.

Hopachi, Apr 8, 2021
  4. lx07 Win User

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

The reason VBox works with Hyper-V role enabled is because they changed their program to make use of the Windows Hypervisor Platform API released in 1809. When VT-x is unavailable VBox will try to fallback to use the Hyper-V framework (a.k.a. NEM or Native Execution Manager). See VirtualBox 6.0 and Hyper-V

Android Emulator has also been updated to use this but apparently VMWare hasn't yet although according to this blog they are developing it.

Comparing Hyper-V with KVM is difficult as they work differently. Whether it is a type 1 or type 2 (or even if such a distinction makes sense any more) is debatable. See Is KVM a type 1 or type 2 hypervisor?

lx07, Apr 8, 2021
Thema:

1. VMWare / Vbox / HYPER-V Virtual Bios and Chipset - Similar Threads - VMWare Vbox HYPER

2. How to install VMWare ESXi in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 News
    How to install VMWare ESXi in a Hyper-V Virtual Machine: [ATTACH]VMware ESXi is an enterprise-class, type-1 hypervisor developed by VMware for deploying and serving virtual computers by integrating vital OS components, such as a kernel; since as a type-1 hypervisor, ESXi is not a software application that can be installed on an OS....
  3. Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX): Hi folks Has anybody got 1920 X 1080 resolution to work on any "Sensible" --i.e commonly used Linux distros as a VM on a Windows Host whether VBOX, VMWare or even HYPER-V is used as the virtualisation software. Seems the problem is now most Linux modern distros are using...
  4. HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently: Hi Windows Gurus I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why Windows can't run VMWare and HYPER-V concurrently while VBOX seems to get indeterminate results -- some say it works others say it just hangs. I've messed around quite a lot with the QEMU/KVM equivalent Hypervisor and...
  5. Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine

Windows Virtual Machine (Hyper-V) vs. VMware Virtual Machine: I have used VMware in the past with limited success though I suspect the hardware limitations had something to do with it. The leaning curve was modest if not at times tedious to confusing at times and I am not particularly looking forward to that again. What can you all tell...
  6. VMware with only Hyper-V Manager

VMware with only Hyper-V Manager: When you have Hyper-V fully installed on a Windows 10 machine, a Standard User can only access Hyper-V via a server connection. This gave me an idea. I was wondering if you could install only Hyper-V Management Tools on the host system and still be able to run VMware. In...
  7. Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?

Running Hyper-V and VMware on the same machine?: As the title indicated, anybody tried running both successfully on Win 10? I've seen people doing that on Win 8 forum( Solved Hyper V and VMWare on the same machine - Page 2 ), so I'm wondering if this method would work on Win 10... Any help/pointers would be great as I...
  8. Hyper-V Virtual Switch

Hyper-V Virtual Switch: I cannot create a Virtual switch when using Hyper-V get this error message: [img] I am using a Qualcomm Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network Adapter and running Hyper-V with Admin Privleges. Laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio i7 with 8GB Ram running Windows 10 pro. Thanks...
  9. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...
  10. Nested Hyper-V using AMD Chipsets?

Nested Hyper-V using AMD Chipsets?: Anybody heard rumors about when MS might work with AMD to provide nested Hyper-V capability? They provide now only with Intel. 45553