Windows 10: VMWare VM in Hpyer V

Discus and support VMWare VM in Hpyer V in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; HI Folks, Here is one of those really silly questions. . .*Smile,can you use a VM created with VMWare with Hyper V. Just wondering since MS doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Lee, Mar 7, 2016.

1. LEE
    Lee Win User

VMWare VM in Hpyer V

HI Folks,

Here is one of those really silly questions. . .*Smile,can you use a VM created with VMWare with Hyper V. Just wondering since MS doesn't want Hyper V and VMWare working together on the same OS. . .bummer. . .*Tongue

:)

2. Windows XP Virtual Machine missing after conversion to Win 10 from Win 7

If you had XP Mode, it is gone and is blocked from running on Windows 10. Even XP Mode vms converted by VMWare and other virtualization programs are blocked. User created XP vms also will not run if in Microsoft Virtual PC format because Virtual PC does
    not run on Windows 10. The only Microsoft virtualization software that runs on Windows 10 is Hyper-V. Hyper-V is only available on Windows 10 Pro. XP is not supported in Windows Hyper-V (no integration tools). It runs, but it is pretty useless without
    the integration tools.

I use VMWare Player to run XP vms that I created in VMWare Player in Windows 10. You can also use VirtualBox and others of the third-party virtualization programs. You will need a Windows XP license to create an XP vm in any of these virtualization programs.

Sorry for the bad news.

Cbarnhorst, Mar 7, 2016
  3. Hyper-V does not boot ISO image, but VMWare Player does

I have Win 10 pro with Hyper-V. I have created a new Generation 1 and Generation 2 VM and point the ISO image to boot. On connecting and starting either of the VMs (only 1 at a time), the only thing i see is Connecting to Yogesh-Linux (which is the name
    of my VM). It does not go any further. I installed VMWare player and disabled Credential Guard as required by it and created a new VM pointing to the same ISO image. VMWare player was able to boot the image and complete the install of the Ubuntu Linux.

YogeshJiandani, Mar 7, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

VMWare VM in Hpyer V

Cliff S, Mar 7, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    It's not that Microsoft doesn't want them working together, it's that both VMWare and Hyper-V use the same Hardware virtualization features of the CPU, and they can only reliably function for one hypervisor at a time.

Back in the old days, before hardware virtualization, they could run multiple virtualization apps at the same time, but they were not as low level as hypervisors are today.

But, to answer your question, in the very most recent versions of Hyper-V, they allow virtualization within virtualization, which is called Nested Virtualization. Microsoft has an article about it here:

Nested Virtualization

Mystere, Mar 7, 2016
  6. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Thanks guys. . .now I have to attempt to put this stroke infested brain into gear and do some reading. . .Darn that is sure gong to be fun. . .*Smile

7. Kari Win User
    You will have no issues, nor do you have to read too much *Smile. The Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter is easy to use, one simple command in PowerShell.

Hyper-V nested virtualization is not an answer in this case; it simply means that you can run Hyper-V virtual machines on another Hyper-V virtual machine.

For the second level (nested) virtual machines, the host must be a Hyper-V vm. It is not possible to run Hyper-V on a VMware vm or vice versa.

Kari, Mar 7, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

VMWare VM in Hpyer V

Hi there

OK not natively - but you can run a W10 VM with HYPER-V enabled ON THE VM !! and then run a VM on that.

Actually if you are using an SSD or better more than 1 SSD for storing the VM's the response isn't actually as bad as you might think !!! - ensure plenty of RAM and ensure the HOST (Physical machine) isn't too busy. Suggest you have an i5 CPU at least too.

To avoid confusion here

1) W10 HOST - HYPER-V NOT enabled. VMware workstation running
    2) W10 VM created on VMWARE with HYPER-V enabled on this VM
    3) Create VM under HYPER-V on the W10 VM created in step 2.

This type of multi-level VM works better though on HOST Linux machines as the Host OS is much leaner so almost ZERO overhead consumed by the host. Esxi is a great tool for this if you want to play around with this type of stuff.

A while ago I was using Esxi to create a Virtual W2k3 Server which had two W7 VM's and an XP VM running on it. Performance was fine - and that was in the days before SSD's were even thought of - much less being affordable.

I know slightly OT but I enclose the reference here for people who might be interested in this sort of stuff. Esxi is FREE too.

Free VMware vSphere Hypervisor, Free Virtualization (ESXi) | VMware United Kingdom

Note though Esxi can be quite picky with hardware - google "White box" for hardware Esxi likes - and it's really picky over the network adapter(s) that work on it-- INTEL PRO Nic's always seems to work in my experience on pretty well any OS.

@Kari - I think running a Windows VM on this and then running a VM on HYPER-V on this Windows VM would be interesting. The nice thing about Esxi is that 99.9% of resources are passed to the VM's -- so this should work almost indistinguishably from a HOST machine running HYPER-V.

I'll hope tp have a go with this later -- I've got some spare time this week - and plenty of spare machine "Horse Power". My main worry will be getting the Nic to work --I think I've still got a usable Intel PRO 100/1000 card somewhere.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

VMWare VM in Hpyer V

1. VMWare VM in Hpyer V - Similar Threads - VMWare Hpyer

2. VMware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VMware: Hi everyone I wanted to install vmware pro, but I had installed it on a virtual drive, and now I have deleted that drive, but it is still in the list of Windows applications. It is necessary, please help me....
  3. VMware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VMware: Hi everyone I wanted to install vmware pro, but I had installed it on a virtual drive, and now I have deleted that drive, but it is still in the list of Windows applications. It is necessary, please help me....
  4. How to install Kali Linux on VMWare Workstation

in Windows 10 News
    How to install Kali Linux on VMWare Workstation: [IMG]VMWare Workstation is a reliable platform that helps you run Kali Linux seamlessly. This opens a world of possibilities for security testing, penetration testing, and learning about cybersecurity tools and techniques. In this article, we will guide you through the...
  5. VMWare Horizon Client freezing or stuck at connecting [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    VMWare Horizon Client freezing or stuck at connecting [Fix]: [IMG]When trying to connect to a VDI using VMWare Horizon Client, we have noticed that the app sometimes freezes, after or before authentication and is stuck at the connecting stage. In this post, we will talk about this issue and see what you can do if the VMWare Horizon...
  6. VMWare Horizon Client not opening [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    VMWare Horizon Client not opening [Fix]: [IMG]VMWare Horizon Client allows you to connect to virtual desktops with ease. However, VDI sometimes doesn’t open or launch. In this post, we will see what you can do if VMWare Horizon Client is not opening for you. Why won’t my VMware Horizon client open? If the VMWare...
  7. Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.: HiI installed Window 10 Pro with my license key in a VMWare Workstation machine.There was some issue with the Workstation so I ended deleting my the virtual machine, however, when I installed new Virtual machine Virtual box this time and tried to use the same license, it says...
  8. Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.: HiI installed Window 10 Pro with my license key in a VMWare Workstation machine.There was some issue with the Workstation so I ended deleting my the virtual machine, however, when I installed new Virtual machine Virtual box this time and tried to use the same license, it says...
  9. Reclaim License key from deleted VMware Workstation machine.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  10. How to deregister Windows 10 keys from a deleted VMWare Workstation instance

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to deregister Windows 10 keys from a deleted VMWare Workstation instance: HiI installed Window 10 Pro with my license key in a VMWare Workstation machine.There was some issue with the Workstation so I ended deleting my the virtual machine, however, when I installed new Virtual machine Virtual box this time and tried to use the same license, it says...